Downswing Breathing

Idrops

Reaction score
This may seem trivial but I have a bad habit of breathing in on the takeaway and holding my breath on the downswing. I also tend to grind my teeth on the downswing. This can't be good. I'm sure it is better to breathe out on the downswing. I've tried purposely to blow out, or make a noise, or keep my mouth open etc, but I still go back to breath holding and teeth grinding. The odd thing is I've done martial arts and tennis before, both of which I was great at proper breathing. I would think breathing out would help the swing.

Do you breathe out on the downswing?

Is there any consensus on what is correct? I've never seen any golf reference address this.

Any tips to break this habit?

I don't really think about my breathing on anything but putting. I don't think it affects it that much on a full swing.

Hmmm ... never thought about it. Went into some swing videos to find out. Apparently, I breathe in on the back, hold it on the down, and then exhale after contact.

I always take a deep breath as I address the ball, but never think about it after that.

Always a great question for your playing partner before his drive, especially if money is on the line. "Hey Bill, do you breath in or out during your swing"?

Always a great question for your playing partner before his drive, especially if money is on the line. "Hey Bill, do you breath in or out during your swing"?

haha, I usually keep those for the back 9.

'breathing' - it's what my opponents try to do after seeing my awesomeness :joy:

Exactly. It's a great discussion to have on the teebox.....right before you double the bets. Had that tactic used on me before. :D

haha, I usually keep those for the back 9.

Exactly. It's a great discussion to have on the teebox.....right before you double the bets. Had that tactic used on me before. :D

Hehe, I only do it with a good buddy that always wants strokes. He swears it don't mess him up, but he hooks the ball every time, lol.

I hold my breath on the downing but have been trying to get away from that. if I ever hit a shot thin, a full chest of "sealed" air really seems to put a lot of strain on the muscles surrounding my rib cage..

I've never really thought about it. I suppose with most exertional exercise (weightlifting, etc.), you are supposed to exhale during the maximum exertion, so it may be worth trying to exhale on the downswing. Certainly works for all those grunting tennis players. I bet Jack Hamm exhales on his downswing.

Breathing on the downswing!?!?!? The downswing is such a small period of time, does it really matter? paralysis of analysis in my book.

However, if you do the same sound as Jack Hamm, then you will add 15 yards to your hits.

I think it does matter, especially with the teeth grinding. In most sports exhaling at the time of most exertion is beneficial. I've never seen or heard it mentioned in golf though.

I think it does matter, especially with the teeth grinding. In most sports exhaling at the time of most exertion is beneficial. I've never seen or heard it mentioned in golf though.

Well; I think you should do a sample test and then report back. Try your "normal" breathing, teeth-grinding technique. Then try several different breathing techniques, with varying clubs, etc. Then you can tell us if you saw a noticeable difference in length and accuracy with each breathing technique.

I wouldn't mind seeing your results!!!

Well; I think you should do a sample test and then report back. Try your "normal" breathing, teeth-grinding technique. Then try several different breathing techniques, with varying clubs, etc. Then you can tell us if you saw a noticeable difference in length and accuracy with each breathing technique.

I wouldn't mind seeing your results!!!

I've already outlined a double blind study n=1289 and will be publishing in Golf Digest soon.:act-up: Will need research funding. Send $ to me.

Just another thing to thik about, thanks! haha

Pretty sure I hold my breath through the swing and exhale on the follow through.

Whenever I need my opponent to drop a couple shots-fast, I ask them if they breathe in or out on their swing. Works every time.

Never once have i thought about my breathing at all on the golf course. I'd say just relax your thinking to much if you know how your breathing during your full swing but that is just me. I just tee it up, stand behind ball for min visualize and execute.

I am too focused on a spot on the back of the ball to actually know. I agree that it is something that will take care of itself if you don't worry about it.

Man, your a head case

Back