A question on ethics...

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I am trying to get a very good friend of mine into golf. I took him out onto the course for the first time the other day, and due to time constraints, we only got to play a few holes. Now, for me, this is no great issue, I do it all the time because it has no adverse effect on my finances, but for him, he paid 15 dollars for 18 holes, and only got to play 4. My question is, should I take him back to play the other 15, but not pay for it? There are no workers there most of the time, and payment is made by filling out a slip so that the club can bill the member.

I just don't know, it seems wrong to do this, but it also seems wrong that he is not getting what he paid for.

Can't you just ask the course what they think?

This is one of those character issues you will face through out your life, you are ultimately the person who does the right thing when no one is looking or you are only out for yourself, that pretty well is it. Ask the people in the shop JR you will feel better about it.

just like other people are saying if you went to the office and explained the situation and the line your friend could be a potential member i'm sure they would be willing to help you out.

I would ask in the Pro shop and see what they say. You know what is right.

talk to the pro shop, just like everyone else has said

I agree that if he paid for 18, he should get to play 18, and most places understand if something "comes up" so you can't complete your round.

I agree with everyone else on this; talk to the shop and I bet they'll take care of you. They'll definitely appreciate you not just going out and playing. When I worked in the pro shop, and issues like this came up, we always took care of the customer.

Also, its good karma. The last thing anyone needs while golfing is bad karma! Golf is hard enough!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll talk to the GM. He is a great guy, I think he will understand.

I am sure you will do the right thing man, you seem like a stand up guy. I would remember though that you dont pay for 18 holes, you pay for a round, if you cant finish, thats your buddy's issue, if the course shut down or something it would be different. In any case, this has happened to me before and almost always the course has invited my guest to play another day on the house. Just talk to them, your reputation at the course is worth more than $15.

If you ask at the clubhouse and they say yes, then by all means go play.
If they say no....well, you are out of luck.
If you go play without asking, then in my opinion you are out of line.
Good luck...I hope they let you guys play !

Ethics work like this: If you have to ask it's probably unethical. You got some great advice here telling you to talk to the club management, I'm sure they will understand and want to do what they can to entice someone into the game.

Yup. Just call the course.

This is a teachable moment. The honesty that you show now will translate into the same type of manners that we all do on the course. Play it where it lies, call the penalty on yourself, know and play within the rules. If it isn't done the right way from the start, then why do it the right way during the round?

You will do the right thing ... you're a golfer :)

Yep, just explain what happened. They'll probably tell you guys to play 18.

I know if it were at my course and I were working, if you come in and asked, I would say have fun playing 18.

Back