Cleveland 588 Wedge with Miyazaki Graphite Wedge Shaft Review Thread

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
I will be doing a review of the Cleveland 588 wedge but particularly with the Miyazaki graphite wedge shaft. I grabbed some pictures before taking it out for testing on Saturday.

First the pics, then some initial thoughts:

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

I knew I liked the looks of this wedge from seeing the first posts that went up on THP a short while ago and was very excited when I heard that I'd be getting an opportunity to review this thing. Like many my first thoughts were "graphite shaft in a wedge, um, ok whatever" so I think getting a chance to test this thing out and share my findings should be very helpful. Right away I loved the fact that the 588's feature the very popular laser milled Tour Zip grooves that we've seen Cleveland Golf going with lately. At first testing it was a little different visually because I'm just not used to looking down at a graphite shaft in my wedge. It wasn't too hard to get over that so I was quickly able to get my focus on what I differences I'd see from having this shaft. I only hit 1 full shot with this wedge so far and that was on the range before the round so I'll reserve thoughts on that until I can get more to base my thoughts off of. I had a number of mid to short pitch shots throughout the round and the word that keeps coming to mind is soft. Not particularly soft off the face but just an overall softer feeling throughout the shot. I had great spin performance and liked how the wedge easily brushed through the grass whether it was fairway, light rough or in the heavier stuff. I have a lot of testing to do with this wedge to try to break down what the differences and advantages of a graphite wedge shaft may exist so stay tuned!

Sweet! I am so excited to hear what you have to say! I really like the sound of the 588's, and the Miyazaki wedge shaft has me thoroughly intrigued.

Wow, lucky you!! Looking forward to hearing more about the 588... I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on some of these.

Sweeeeeeet! I'm in love with they Miyazaki on the CG Black Driver I'm testing, can't wait to hear about a graphite shaft on a wedge many of us know and love.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this P4B, I love the looks of that shaft in the 588, just dead sexy.

A Cleveland grip on the Miyazaki? Do these wedges come with an option of having the Miyazaki installed?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the shaft. Is it just me, or do those wedges look too much like a Vokey graphics wise?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the shaft. Is it just me, or do those wedges look too much like a Vokey graphics wise?

Other way around. I think the 588's were first, and the Vokeys copied them.

Other way around. I think the 588's were first, and the Vokeys copied them.

already had this discussion big time when the first pics were put up. Check for the 588 thread its in their.

already had this discussion big time when the first pics were put up. Check for the 588 thread its in their.

Yes I remember that. That's what made me say that.

Yes I remember that. That's what made me say that.

Ya i was just saying in case somebody wanted to find it, no need to make this thread into that discussion as well.

Those look great P4B and I'm freaking jealous. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these wedges as they are at the top of my list for 2012

Glad to hear you are testing this club. Looking forward to you thoughts compared to the J40 line. In particular your thoughts on the Miyazaki shaft vs. the DG Spinners.

very nice looking wedge there P4B on the top of my list to try out asap! then prob design custom ones on the website!

Sweetness! Really looking forward to your thoughts on this one buddy. your 'soft' comments have me intrigued.....

Cleveland just keeps bringing the goods and this is one wedge that will hit many bags in 2012. I plan to add one myself so I'm looking forward to your review!

Very pretty wedge.

Great combo here - really looking forward to hearing how these stack up against some of the other stuff out have tried recently....specifically the J40.

Tappin' from my iPad!

TY! Missed that one.......I'll check it out.

Love the shot at address. Is that a Lamkin Crossline?

This should be a really good one, Jake!

How stiff is that shaft compared to a steel wedge shaft?

How stiff is that shaft compared to a steel wedge shaft?

That was my question at first. I had my answer in a few swings, its legit. Very impressed with it on a variety of shots.

--
tapatalk

Back