T.P. Mills Center Shafted "Huey" - Demo Thread

The Huey has arrived and it is a real piece of art! It really needs to be in your hands to be appreciated for everything it is. I only had a few minutes on the practice green with it today before the rain moved in, but I'm really looking forward to spending some time evaluating this putter. Thanks TP Mills for the chance to get my hands on this very nice putter!!

I've said it before and will again, there is just something SO nice about the Huey headstyle all the way around, weighting, shape, feel, it really does a have it all.

Thanks to some extremely windy weather I haven't taken the Huey out for 18 yet, but we have had three nice sessions on the practice green. I really needed to work on my short game anyway! Out of the many putters that I have tried over the past two years this is the best balanced and weighted putter of them all.

I was able to squeeze in my first 18 with the Huey in play late yesterday. My plan is to write up a full review once my time is up with the Huey, so here's a quick recap of my round and some of my thoughts. Temperature was as good as it gets in mid Nov. around 75 and it was a great day to walk 18. The only down side was the 1 to 2 club wind that was swirling a bit. Our greens this time of year are firm and fast, playing from the blues 6500 yds and the B330RXS was my ball of choice. I've been struggling with my driver a bit, but my ball striking was very solid and my driver only let me down once during the round for my only double of the day. Posted an 83 with 32 putts. Only one 3 putt, which just happened to be from inside of 20 feet on the slickest turtle back green on the course! Two putted three holes from outside of 35 feet and made 3-4 difficult putts in the 12 foot range. I already mentioned how much I like the weight, balance and feel of this putter! I want to add one more feature I really like. The larger square toe! It really seems to help me frame the ball and keep my alignment through the stroke. I hope to make it out to the practice green once more this week and then a Turkey scramble on Saturday with our golf association where I plan to get a lot of thoughts from the group on the practice green before we tee it up. More thoughts on the Huey to follow................

Thanks for the thoughts, Johnboy. I really loved the weight and balance as well.

Johnboy, once you get a little practice under your belt you will not want to let this putter go.

Had a TP Mills Huey waiting for me at home tonight. How's that for a homecoming! She's beautiful. Craftsmanship is astounding. I rolled it a few times on the carpet and I'll mess with it later on my practice area. First impressions are really positive, but I'm not going to rush to judgment until I can test it out more. On looks alone it's a winner.

How does one go about being put on the list to test this beauty out? I love me a center shafted putter and this one looks great!

How does one go about being put on the list to test this beauty out? I love me a center shafted putter and this one looks great!

I would cut my time with it short to fit you in. It would be up to Craig though. And I don't want any one schedualed behind me to get upset either. But it is heading south from me any ways.

Too cold to golf today so I've been doing some indoor testing and observations. Forgive my crappy cell phone camera pictures. I've misplaced the charger for the DSLR.

Grip

The grip is pretty unique. It is on the thinner side which is fine for me. One of my preferred putter grips is the Ping Man grip. Where the Ping Man (these grips are easy to demo) differs is it seems to be thinner down the thumbs and thicker front to back. The TP seems opposite. A little wider but thinner front to back. I like the feel. It doesn't fill my hand so paying close attention to grip pressure is going to be important. Seems like the design of this grip could help the club resist twisting. It's a Golf Pride grip and I'm not sure of the model. Appearance is very nice. Not too over the top, but still has some character.

6355978665_69d5c1aaab_z.jpg

Shaft

To be honest I don't think I've ever gave a 2nd thought to the shaft in a putter. The finish on the Huey shaft is awesome. I love how it blends into the grip and contrasts with the business end. It has 5 steps beneath the grip. I wish I had some sort of insight as to what makes a good or bad putter shaft, I don't. I will say I really like the look at address. The charcoal color makes it easy to see the shaft position in relation to the head. Seems like it will be very useful for proper setup once I spend more time with the Huey.

6355979247_a17bd91ef2_z.jpg

Headcover

Headcover has a velcro closure to keep things secure. I prefer magnetic covers or simple slip on slip off covers. It sits a little crooked when on the putter. This is not a custom cover for a CS putter. It is of very high quality. Soft leather and I really like the design.

6355982071_955cf5b8bc_z.jpg

Head

Super clean looking putter head. Craftsmanship is the highest I've ever seen for this type of putter. The neck has a teensy bit of offset down to a very finely milled face. The alignment aid is a simple blue line. The cavity frames the ball well and combined with the CS style I have a very clear image of where I need to return to the ball to make good impact. The overall finish on the putter is something to behold. At first glance it doesn't appear to be all that special. I'm no metallurgist, but I can really tell the difference in quality compared to my other putters. I caught myself staring at the finish for 10 minutes. No picture can really do it justice. The graphics are classy. I like the red anvil, white, and blue lettering. Combined with the patriotic headcover it's a really slick package.

6355981665_bdd057ded7_z.jpg

6355979803_86fb47f5a9_z.jpg

In the above pic you can see how the shaft contrasts with the head. Should help in proper setup.

6355981017_4082e4a482_z.jpg

6355980335_0673e61869_z.jpg

This kinda summarizes my first impressions. Can't wait to get into the performance part of the Huey.

Oh, I miss that putter.

Oh, I miss that putter.

Man, I forgot how much I missed it until I saw those pics! Griff, I think my least favorite thing had to be the headcover. It sounds snooty, but a putter like that deserves something great imo. I probably would have preferred a thicker grip, but the results were there with the one that it came with.

Have fun testing it. This was really a lot of fun for me.

Man, I forgot how much I missed it until I saw those pics! Griff, I think my least favorite thing had to be the headcover. It sounds snooty, but a putter like that deserves something great imo. I probably would have preferred a thicker grip, but the results were there with the one that it came with.

Have fun testing it. This was really a lot of fun for me.

The putter does deserve a HC that fits a little better. You're not snooty, just observant. Don't get me wrong, it's a quality cover.

I like the grip. I can instantly tell if I have a death grasp on it because the club face actually twists closed. With some midsize grips and the Ping Man my knuckles turn white and the club stays square. Sounds good, but when the heat is on I can grip pretty firmly and all sorts of bad things happen, mainly I miss. But you're right, the grip is definitely low profile.

Anyone else notice just a little wear in the finish on the shaft where a bag may have rubbed? It's very minor and may have actually come from a putter clip outside of the bag because the putter sits all the way against the head cover in my Ogio Grom bag. I'll try to get a picture that can show it, but glare from any angle makes it difficult to show! Aside from that the putter is wearing very well!!!

I had another 1.5 hour on the practice green today using one of my favorite drills. 5 balls in a straight line placed a foot apart out to 10 feet, repeat from right, left, and top side of hole.....then move out 5 feet and start over. Green was a little softer after the inch and half of rain we recently had. I noticed no difference in the roll off the putter when having to strike putts a little firmer than my last outing. Typically I'll have a few puts pop up before they catch a good roll on the longer or slower putts, but I really don't seem to have this problem with the Huey. I have wrapped the grip with one black tennis wrap and it's perfect for me now...just a touch softer and tackier!

Anyone else notice just a little wear in the finish on the shaft where a bag may have rubbed? It's very minor and may have actually come from a putter clip outside of the bag because the putter sits all the way against the head cover in my Ogio Grom bag. I'll try to get a picture that can show it, but glare from any angle makes it difficult to show! Aside from that the putter is wearing very well!!!

I had another 1.5 hour on the practice green today using one of my favorite drills. 5 balls in a straight line placed a foot apart out to 10 feet, repeat from right, left, and top side of hole.....then move out 5 feet and start over. Green was a little softer after the inch and half of rain we recently had. I noticed no difference in the roll off the putter when having to strike putts a little firmer than my last outing. Typically I'll have a few puts pop up before they catch a good roll on the longer or slower putts, but I really don't seem to have this problem with the Huey. I have wrapped the grip with one black tennis wrap and it's perfect for me now...just a touch softer and tackier!

That's strange indeed, I've got that shaft in 2 of my 3 Mills and have no wear, I'd love to see pics when ya get time. Maybe it's like you said and it just caught something on the bag.

The Huey is a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been in a bunch of bags and through transport so I am not terribly surprised to hear that about the shaft. Definitely sounds like it just got continued abrasion in one specific spot.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I had not noticed any wear on the shaft when I had it, but like you it sat all the way against the headcover in my Ogio bag.

EWW That has to be the uglyist T.P. Mills i've ever seen.

Back