Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Nice writeup Chewie and thanks for the answer. Forgiving is always a good thing. The one thing I am really worried about is the extra inch from my current driver, I play at 45" so the Blacks 46" might cause me some issues. I guess I will find out in about a week or two when stores finally have these lol.

The only issue I have had with the extra inch is just in my setup, but I think I got a lot of that figured out today. You are also playing with a much newer driver than I was, so I do ntthink you will have too many problems.

I'm wondering if the weight port in the back equals bad news somehow for faster swing speeds? Or maybe it is simply too light for a faster swing? Not sure but it was very consistent.

On the THP radio with JB and Nate from Cleveland:

Nate said that for swings over 100 or a FAST TEMPO will result in OVER LOADING THE SHAFT. This will result in ballooning shots or shots that go astray (slice :D ) according to Nate.

You seem to be proving this out. Good Job on your testing .... THANKS too for your hard work and the good job on your reports !

I'm DIGGIN this thread !!

I want to add this....Cleveland got the superlite thing right....much better than the Taylormade offerings.......the feel and consistency are prime reasons IMHO
For sure! I really tried to like the SF 2.0, but the SL series just blew it out of the water.

For sure! I really tried to like the SF 2.0, but the SL series just blew it out of the water.

Wait 'til you hit this one!!! I'm normally the low,worm killing guy in our group but working hard to get more "lift" ......well this club allows for it without teeing high or hanging back on the drive.....just smoothly swing club and BAM BOOM BEND!! LOL

Just got caught up on this thread (stupid database theory project) and have to say that the testers are doing a fantastic job! I want to hit this club more now than I did the last time I read through the posts, didn't think that was possible. The enthusiasm is contagious. I went through a similar experience this summer with my 270, all the while waiting for someone to pinch me, but it just kept on delivering the goods. It seemed ridiculous, unfair almost, to be getting the drives I got with such little effort. If the Black can improve on that experience, then next season might be even better.

This damn thread kills me. I want one.

I know it dude. I'm really just dying here.

As much as Im enjoying the updates and seeing the killer results it sure is hard to not covet thy neighbors Cleveland Black driver.

Once again golfsmith coupons work on the black line. 20% off through the 21st. Code ffn11

Ready, Aim, (Kindle) FIRE!

Wait 'til you hit this one!!! I'm normally the low,worm killing guy in our group but working hard to get more "lift" ......well this club allows for it without teeing high or hanging back on the drive.....just smoothly swing club and BAM BOOM BEND!! LOL

That's funny because I'm just the opposite, I think someday I'm going to see one of my shots burn up on re-entry in to the atmosphere. I was looking to get lower trajectory, only hit the SL on a whim, but the ball speed numbers immediately got my attention. Tried it on the range and was at first disappointed by the high trajectory, but it just kept going. Bought it the same day, and never regretted it. That is until they came out with this drop dead gorgeous driver that might be even better. I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about the new releases or a little angry. If the OEM's keep one upping themselves like they did this year, I might just develop commitment issues about buying new clubs. haha

I know it dude. I'm really just dying here.

It's pretty bad, I want to hit this driver so bad! And, I can't even play till next May!

As much as Im enjoying the updates and seeing the killer results it sure is hard to not covet thy neighbors Cleveland Black driver.

Great choice of words, that says it all! Haha

That's funny because I'm just the opposite, I think someday I'm going to see one of my shots burn up on re-entry in to the atmosphere. I was looking to get lower trajectory, only hit the SL on a whim, but the ball speed numbers immediately got my attention. Tried it on the range and was at first disappointed by the high trajectory, but it just kept going. Bought it the same day, and never regretted it. That is until they came out with this drop dead gorgeous driver that might be even better. I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about the new releases or a little angry. If the OEM's keep one upping themselves like they did this year, I might just develop commitment issues about buying new clubs. haha

Don't get me wrong......high but not moonballs......I also only hit regular flex......and 10.5* ......this looks and feels bettet to me than xl270...... Kinda reminds me of a better looking , lighter 910d2

Boy am I regretting ordering a new pair of shoes instead of this driver. Great job on the reviews so far boys.

Really digging this thread.

I started the year with a XL270 and had major control issues. Reading this thread makes me want to revisit a driver like this. If I could keep this one straight seems like a winner.

Do have 1 question. For those that have picked up club head speed do you think stepping up a flex would add even greater accuracy? It's something I've considered in the past and I wonder if doing that would have saved the XL270 for me. I know they are not the same driver at all, but they have some similarities. I think the length of the XL270 or the increased SS (97 to 103 jump) really played havoc with my accuracy.

Boy am I regretting ordering a new pair of shoes instead of this driver. Great job on the reviews so far boys.

Must be some really nice shoes for $399! haha

My normal miss for the past year has been a push right. The shot is straight it is just pushed straight right. I had a consistent draw up until July and all of a sudden I had a bit of a fade. In terms of hitting the face, I would say my miss is mainly a little low. I don't have enough shots yet to be able to tell you what my miss is with the Black in terms of face.

I'll be interested to hear how this works out for you Chunky because that's my miss too(straight push). It started to go away for the most part this summer, but always had to rear its ugly head at least once per round. I'm not really sure that any club can fix that though.

On the THP radio with JB and Nate from Cleveland:

Nate said that for swings over 100 or a FAST TEMPO will result in OVER LOADING THE SHAFT. This will result in ballooning shots or shots that go astray (slice :D ) according to Nate.

You seem to be proving this out. Good Job on your testing .... THANKS too for your hard work and the good job on your reports !

I'm DIGGIN this thread !!

Goes to show that relistening to the shows can be very valuable. I remember hearing that and I don't know why I didn't just retain that knowledge. Good stuff dude. But I'm interested in what exactly I was doing. I'm pretty sure that trying to swing harder doesn't actually equate to faster swing speed. I think what I was doing last night was just quickening my tempo. A launch monitor will be in order I think. If only there was a place that I could go in the next few weeks that would show me the numbers

I'll be interested to hear how this works out for you Chunky because that's my miss too(straight push). It started to go away for the most part this summer, but always had to rear its ugly head at least once per round. I'm not really sure that any club can fix that though.

It does it for me as well. In fact I play a course that I can always count on it happening at the 11th hole. The tee box points toward the woods instead of the fairway and for some reason I don't adjust. So not only am I aiming toward the trees, but I always will push it on that hole as well. The ball goes so far into the woods it's comical

Really digging this thread.

I started the year with a XL270 and had major control issues. Reading this thread makes me want to revisit a driver like this. If I could keep this one straight seems like a winner.

Do have 1 question. For those that have picked up club head speed do you think stepping up a flex would add even greater accuracy? It's something I've considered in the past and I wonder if doing that would have saved the XL270 for me. I know they are not the same driver at all, but they have some similarities. I think the length of the XL270 or the increased SS (97 to 103 jump) really played havoc with my accuracy.

As far as picking up a flex, I can't. As far as I can tell this driver max's out at Stiff

I havent had a problem with the ball going too high and I definitely think that I am getting a lot less backspin then my R9 gives me. The monitor at PGA was completely off so I couldn't get actual numbers.

As for the XL270 I had major control issues with it. This club is completely different from it though and it is working much better.

Just cleaned it so that I can get a fresh start this weekend. Noticed a few marks on the bottom from my tees but it was just paint and they came right off. Im going to the range on Saturday so if there is anything anyone wants me to try feel free to ask.

I think I am going to play 3 rounds next week so I am going to try to hit both the Black and my R9 to give a distance comparison as well as keep track of FIRs and distance using GPS.

I think you are on to something when you talk tempo, Chunky. I really felt like I was cranking that fairway the other night with good results, but I felt like I was giving it time on my backswing. When I was quick is when I was seeing big misses. However, for me, that's not exclusive to that club.

Thanks Chunky, looking forward to if its the same with the CG Black or not, was just thinking that the longer shaft might cause a different miss and result for people if they arent use to a 46" shaft.

10yd, I'm telling ya, tuck that worry away and bring it out on another night for something more worthy because the extra inch ain't angry, it is filled with sweet distance-y love. When I first got the club I was missing just off-center ... and the results were still impressive with minor minor adjustments I'm finding center now. (Well, as much as a hack like me can find center-face.)

And the best thing, that super smooth tempo swing you have with that Boccieri Heavy Wood will be richly rewarded by the CG Black and the Miyazaki shaft.

It does it for me as well. In fact I play a course that I can always count on it happening at the 11th hole. The tee box points toward the woods instead of the fairway and for some reason I don't adjust. So not only am I aiming toward the trees, but I always will push it on that hole as well. The ball goes so far into the woods it's comical

I feel ya man, I know exactly what you're saying! Even about trying to get quick with the c kua shaft. The only bad range sessions I had with the driver this last season were the ones where I tried to get stupid with it. I found I could turn up juice a bit, but it had to be smooth. Smoooooth! I bet you will get that down in no time, and then you'll be standin there with a silly grin on your face too.

Not that this has any effect on how the shaft performs, but how is everyone finding the shaft? Would you consider it a smooth feeling shaft? Does it matter to you if the feeling is not exactly what you want?

Back