Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

I don't think I've ever seen a fairway wood get up in the air as high as this one for me. It's pretty amazing to see from my perspective. Shots with wind in my face were certainly punished for that, but I was still pretty happy with where I ended up. Only a couple really big misses, but for the most part I was on the fairway or close to it. It was not hard at all to get in the air off the turf.
This is what I was hoping to hear!

I think both of you could get some good use of it for sure. My next thing to do is compare it to the FL to get a better idea of how it compares off the tee, turf, ballflight, and accuracy. I hit a few yesterday that would have been so long without the stupid wind. It seems pretty forgiving as well. My second shot of the day was off the toe and it carried 200 yards to the middle of the fairway.

I think both of you could get some good use of it for sure. My next thing to do is compare it to the FL to get a better idea of how it compares off the tee, turf, ballflight, and accuracy. I hit a few yesterday that would have been so long without the stupid wind. It seems pretty forgiving as well. My second shot of the day was off the toe and it carried 200 yards to the middle of the fairway.

Can't wait as I have the FL in my bag now. Wouldn't mind having a nice matching pair of woods/headcovers in the bag though.

You have me interested in this club for sure Hawk. I don't ever hit FW off the deck and just use the one FW I carry for tee shots and it sounds to me like the black is a real winner. As soon as these get up to Canada I am going to take them for a test drive.

Good information so far Hawk. Great to hear about the success off the fairway. Personally, I don't think carrying a 3 wood for soley off the tee is worth it in the bag, which is why I'm not using a 3 wood at all right now. Between this club and the Mashie fairway wood, I'm pretty certain I'll find something that is versatile enough for the tee box and the fairway.

Just to clarify, I had no problem hitting it off the turf. I was just remarking more on course management and what I'd likely use it for most often.

Great job so far Hawk, several things you have posted really has me interested in this club. Possibly the strongest thing so far game from the video view of this being so low profile looking, yet a rather deep face. Then the distance with a high flight and soft landing along with a draw bias which would help fight my standard slice just a bit.

Thanks for the info!

it looks too big for a fairway wood

Nice video Hawk - just catching up on the thread. The fact that his club is gaining more than your driver is ridiculously great. Hope it continues!

Hawk, my favorite part of your video is the "holy cow". Actually, that's not my favorite part. That's my second favorite part. My favorite part is listening to you rip balls with that club. Much "tingier" sounding than the FL. Dude, I love your numbers. I'm not so sure if the launch shouldn't be a touch higher though. Imagine if you could get a few more degrees of launch on that bad boy, you'd be seeing even more carry distance.

This club intrigues the crap out of me. It's either this or the Mashie for my next 3wood. No doubt about it.

This club intrigues the crap out of me. It's either this or the Mashie for my next 3wood. No doubt about it.
Isn't your swing speed too high for this one? Or does is this not quite like the driver in that regard?

Isn't your swing speed too high for this one? Or does is this not quite like the driver in that regard?

It could be, I don't know. Hawk said he let the pro take some swipes with it and he had no problems. I'm going to give it a whirl. The FL works quite well for me.

It could be, I don't know. Hawk said he let the pro take some swipes with it and he had no problems. I'm going to give it a whirl. The FL works quite well for me.
It would be cool if it works for you. I know that I want to give it a shot.

It would be cool if it works for you. I know that I want to give it a shot.

I think it looks fantabulous. That's always a good starting point for me.

I think he is talking about the statement from Cleveland that this is a draw biased club:

A high-density weight screw at the rear of the sole plate positions the center of gravity lower and deeper to promote a high, draw-biased trajectory with optimal launch conditions for effortless distance.

I've seen that statement on their website, they also go on to say that at address the face is SQUARE ....
so those that may be thinking, and/or do not like 'CLOSED' faced drivers will not see that here.

This is 'sorta' like the Ping K15 which is also a DRAW BIASED driver but has a SQUARE face at address also

They both achieve this draw bias by placing weight in rear of the club on the heel which helps to close/square the club face at impact. This weight is very evident when looking at the K15, I don't know about the Black since I've never seen one.

EDIT:
sorry, you can dismiss my above comments, I thought I was reading about the DRIVER whoops

Hawk, my favorite part of your video is the "holy cow". Actually, that's not my favorite part. That's my second favorite part. My favorite part is listening to you rip balls with that club. Much "tingier" sounding than the FL. Dude, I love your numbers. I'm not so sure if the launch shouldn't be a touch higher though. Imagine if you could get a few more degrees of launch on that bad boy, you'd be seeing even more carry distance.

That's all I could say dude! I'm pretty familiar with my numbers at the top end of my bag, so I was expecting something in the 200-205 carry range. I was blown away after the first swing. As for the launch, my best results were in the 13-14° range. I was getting some crazy carry with that. The thing is that this club just puts the ball so freaking high it's unreal. It's a good thing though obviously haha.

Hawk, sorry if you already answered this, but do you see this 5W as a possible replacement for those carrying 19*/20* Hybrids?

I have never carried a 5Wood, but after spending time with the Black Driver and hitting the Black 3W, I think the 5W could do the trick for me.

I think it depends on the person. I don't think I could get rid of the hybrid around 20° or so. It's just too versatile of a club for me. I'd be fine carrying both and actually did that earlier this year. Come to think of it, I'm doing it right now too haha. I'd probably go with the 16° 3w if I were choosing for myself.

I think it depends on the person. I don't think I could get rid of the hybrid around 20° or so. It's just too versatile of a club for me. I'd be fine carrying both and actually did that earlier this year. Come to think of it, I'm doing it right now too haha. I'd probably go with the 16° 3w if I were choosing for myself.
Thanks, I am really pondering a 5W right now, and I have become quite sold on the Black line of clubs.

The thing that interests me most about this wood is the distance you are getting. I would love to get a few more yards with my 3-wood. The performance you are getting with this is spot on for what I am looking for.

Hawk - Great videos, review & feedback. Very nice looking FW wood.

Any updates to the draw-bias aspect of the Black fairway ?

I don't seem to draw it with any more frequency than other clubs. Also, I can send it right if I put a slice swing on it. For the most part, it's fairly straight for me.

Back