Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

I got this email reply from Clay Long,

Yes, the Nicklaus Co. is going to move out of the domestic club business and
license the name to some international customers who buy product currently. The
lines being sold domestically, as far as I know, will no longer be available.

I will continue my work with my putters and now wedges as well continue a
relationship I have now with Taylor Made. You will see in the Spring some wedges
and a new iron I contributed to from them. I am really excited to get to work
with such a dynamic and successful group going forward. I am very luck in that
respect.

Jack Nicklaus and the Nicklaus Co. have been a great experience for me over the
last 10 years. I could not have had finer people to work with. We have made some
fine premium equipment. Unfortunately the market forces in both the equipment
side as well as the course design side have conspired to squeeze us out of the
club market. Nickalaus Golf made $ every year but 3 in 19 years. That is a great
record in this business and something Bob Kelly (Pres & CEO) and all of us
involved can be proud of.
Thanks for the update Monroe. Sad to hear.

Thanks for the update Monroe. Sad to hear.

Indeed. It really does sadden me as well.

I WILL be buying another ML4 head to put up for future use, I believe in the product that much still.

Indeed. It really does sadden me as well.

I WILL be buying another ML4 head to put up for future use, I believe in the product that much still.
I'm still playing mine Jman. I've never had a driver in my bag for this long.

I'm still playing mine Jman. I've never had a driver in my bag for this long.

I hear ya, me either. This really sucks to hear.

So, despite the sad news, I'm going to keep on keeping on for the sake that if these do go on vast sales, I really hope some may pick a head or whole club up and give it a try. I still really believe in this club even if Nicklaus is taking a hiatus form making gear for a while.

I managed to get out to the range and hit 4 buckets for grins after my wife and I got home from KC on Saturday with the ML4 only, I for some reason got the urge to start trying to really work the ball different directions to see if it could be done as well as to work on hitting a wind ball since it was TRULY a blustery day in the hundred acre wood.

From left to right, I've always just adjusted my stance rather than ball position like alot of guys do as I've NEVER been a "work the ball" guy, I want it in play, period. But, for grins it was a fun experiment on the day. I will say that I was hitting a VERY pretty and consistent draw even with the wind, but, the fade was just not coming along. To be fair I was in a right to left wind so I'm pretty sure that aided the draw and KILLED the fade. This will be played with some more this week while I'm on break.

Now, the wind ball....wow. I teed it LOW LOW and you want to talk about penetrating. The Miya and the ML4 just riiiiiiiiiiiiped it into the wind, expected distance loss for me, I'm just sad I couldn't see the roll out since it was SO damn wet. Again, like the left to right, I really can't wait to get out and play with this shot some more over my break. Consistency with a wind shot would be HUGE for my game here in our windy arse winters.

You have any issues with solid contact teeing it that low, Jman?

You have any issues with solid contact teeing it that low, Jman?

Only at the start as my swing has got some SERIOUS rust on it right now and I was OTT'ing and getting pretty chunky (no, not the little guy), I look at where my handicap got to over the year and LAUGH about where its likely at now. haha

My swing with the big stick has always tended to bottom out rather that hitting on an upswing is you know what I'm saying. I think that's what makes teeing it super low possible for me and why I traditionally have to tee my driver much lower than most (and anyone I play with, they ALWAYS mention it). I know technically speaking you should be on a true upswing with your driver at contact, but, because of the distance I get, I stopped messing with it a long time ago.

Perhaps "shallow" would be a better way to describe it than bottoming out....

I really need to get some more video with this one.

I might give that a shot for the fun of it. I'd watch some more Jman vids for sure!

Sad to hear that news about Nicklaus Golf. I know I liked this driver at the outing back in May.

I might give that a shot for the fun of it. I'd watch some more Jman vids for sure!

Haha, you can bank on it. Once the weather cooperates, there will be a vid just for you good sir.

I may even dedicate it to you, with my Okie twang and all....lol

Sad to hear that news about Nicklaus Golf. I know I liked this driver at the outing back in May.

It really is depressing for me. I was SUPER looking forward to what was coming down the pipe, and TRULY hoping for an ML4 fairway wood at some point.

Like I said from the start, minus the ugly sticker in the "Speed Slot", this one is simple elegance and a flat out performer.

Thank you for the continued updates Jman! I'm going to borrow your teeing it low next time I go to the range, it's been pretty windy here as well and that might be just the ticket.

Thank you for the continued updates Jman! I'm going to borrow your teeing it low next time I go to the range, it's been pretty windy here as well and that might be just the ticket.

Thanks for reading SW, it does mean alot, and honestly I haven't been all that great, that couple weeks hiatus of vanishment I made has ashamed me to say the least, anywho...

Its a little thing that always worked well for me in the wind, really well. Thing is, its all based on your swing, depending on it you may just top the piss out of everything, my shallowness has always made it easy for me though.

Jman - I have followed along with this thread and would love to try this out (especially with the shaft you have in there now) if you ever make it down this way. Great updates along the way and it says enough that this is staying in the bag for good!

Jman - I have followed along with this thread and would love to try this out (especially with the shaft you have in there now) if you ever make it down this way. Great updates along the way and it says enough that this is staying in the bag for good!

Thanks Cookie! For sure on the trying it out, we need to just set something up in the middle of both of us sometime and get after it.

I'm still playing the ML4 too. I haven't found anything that can replace it. :)

Rockbottomgolf has the ML4 for 59.00 + TAX.

Yup, offset only in 10.5* S and R flexes. Out of the 9* non-offset version.

I know because I was trying to buy one as this was posted haha.

I will attain at least one more for a backup, I truly do still believe in this club that much, regardless of Nicklaus shutting down the club production for a while.

Received the 10.5 Offset driver that I'm giving to my brother in law yesterday. There really isn't much offset to this driver at all. I kind of expect a big offset like you would see on some of those Cobra drivers a few years ago.

Received the 10.5 Offset driver that I'm giving to my brother in law yesterday. There really isn't much offset to this driver at all. I kind of expect a big offset like you would see on some of those Cobra drivers a few years ago.

Thats what I was expecting too dd....interesting. Maybe a pic if you get the chance?

Thats what I was expecting too dd....interesting. Maybe a pic if you get the chance?

I'll take one tonight before I box it back up.

Here you go...offset version of this driver.

c4824ab5.jpg

Back