ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Finally going to get the laptop I've been wanting for months. It needs to be a PC, running XP (but not XP small business pro, which is what we have at work), with vast quantities of RAM. I'm a real RAM hog. Will connect to wireless network but may need dialup for some travel. Also want a mouse for when I'm not traveling.

Some time ago, Harry told me about http://www.techbargains.com/, but I'll confess to being un-techie enough that I can't do that without adult supervision. You might as well ask me to build my own car engine online.

Yeah, I could ask my IT guy, but he's not real pro-active and tends to be more useful when he reacts to my specific suggestions/questions than if I just ask him for help.

Mike, Harry? Probably too basic for Grogger...

TIA.

There are so many deals to be had with laptops for what you will need Claire. We found one with 4gb of ram running XP through Dell. I am not a big Dell fan, but it works great and is fast as can be. In reality, running XP you do not need nearly as much RAM as Vista.

I used to not be a big Dell fan either, but the best price we got on ours was a Dell. We have had no problems with it. It's true that Vista needs more RAM than XP but if she's running memory-intensive programs (for example, I run Photoshop a lot, so I need the extra RAM for that), she'll want extra RAM. And she said she's a RAM hog so I assume she needs it!

I really like the Sony Vaio (sp?) series. Great looking and a huge hard drive. I think most come with around 1 gig of ram. It depends what screen size and price range you are looking at. I think most of those run for about $699 CAD

Dells are ok. I have one thru work. Good thing is you can download all the drivers and software off their site if needed. Tech support is pretty good too.

I doubt you will need dial up. Most place don't even have dial up access in or out. If you have a wireless card you can get connected.

Waiting for the proposal from my IT guy; then I'll see who can shoot it down.

Sad to say, one needs dial up on islands off the coast of Maine. No cable, and Wi Fi only at the one teeny island grocery store. Most evenings, its front porch is full of folks trying to connect.

Depending on your cell phone and plan, you can use it tethered to you laptop for the internet. Waaaay better than dial up.

Sony Vaio. I recently bought one and I love it. I used to have a Dell laptop and my Vaio is 10x the computer that Dell was.

Depending on your cell phone and plan, you can use it tethered to you laptop for the internet. Waaaay better than dial up.

I'll ask about that--it's totally new to me.

Anyway, I got this quote for $1,313.70, which seems awfully high. Other than telling the fellow I can do just fine with a cordura carrying case, I don't understand enough of this to know what's nonsense and what's not. Anyone smarter than I?

Latitude D630
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.00GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz) Dual Core
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade
LCDs
14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel
Memory
2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 1 DIMM
Internal Keyboard
Internal English Keyboard
Graphics
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Hard Drives
120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
Touchpad Options
Standard Touchpad
Floppy Drive
No Floppy Drive
Mouse
Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse
Bluetooth
Dell Wireless® 360 Bluetooth Module for Windows XP
AC Adapter
90W A/C Adapter
Media Bay Devices
24X CD-RW/DVD w/ Cyberlink PowerDVDâ„¢
Wireless LAN (802.11)
Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Dual-Band Mini Card
Productivity Software
Microsoft® Office 2007 Basic and Adobe Acrobat 9.0 STD
Carrying Cases
Dell Classic Leather Carrying Case
Hardware Support Services
3 Year Limited Warranty and 3 Year Mail-in Service

That is WAY TOO HIGH

Seems pretty steep to me too.
First off, how much is that warranty? I skip on extended warranties. They are generally pure profit to the company.
Anything extra, other than the laptop (mice, carrying cases, etc.) I always buy elsewhere.

Looking at those specs, you can get a similar laptop for HALF That price at Bestbuy and other places. Just my 2 cents.

Looking at those specs, you can get a similar laptop for HALF That price at Bestbuy and other places. Just my 2 cents.

See-that's why I have to ask. I just don't inderstand that stuff.

And I'm with you on warranties, Small. We have an IT guy for a reason.

That price is WAY to high. You can get something spectacular for around the $600.00 range.

I bought my Vaio from Sears for $650 and its pretty comparable to the one you are looking at.

Always shop with a guy for cars, computers and clubs. Sad but true, they won't quote you through the roof.

One thing my IT guy told me is that you have to pay up for XP anymore. If I just went with Vista, it would be cheaper. I need XP.

You do not have to pay up that much. You can also just buy a Vista machine and purchase a copy of XP aftermarket if you need to.

Pony express is Way better than dial up!!!

Definitely going that route for our more remote travels--thanks so much for the suggestion!

Did you ever give us an update on what you decided to do on this? If you did, I missed it.

My IT guy kept insisting he couldn't get my specs for less. So now I have it. Along with a wireless mouse, which I love even though it eats batteries. So now Boo and I can be on this site at the same time (which we are right now, but only because school ended early today).

Back