Tiger to Speak At Obama inauguration

ActionJackson8

KAHHHHHNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
First things first, I don't want a political conversation or argument (none of this ----> :starwars:) but I did find this interesting;

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/01/tiger-woods-to.html

I know Obama is a huge sports fan and it doesn't surprise me he would invite Woods. However with the down the middle.moderate squeaky clean image Tiger always shows, I'm surprised he agreed to the invite. Although having said that turning down the invite might not have looked to some either. Anyway I wasn't going to watch this but I may get a sneak peek just to see how the knee is.

for tiger as a black man, don't quite see the connection between "squeaky clean" and the evolution of our nation's consciousness in choosing to have a man of color as president that tiger is choosing to come to washington to celebrate? and obama, is by no means considered a corrupt politician outside of ann coulter and some others at fox. tiger has chosen to stay outside of the political fray and this event, imo, transcends politics.

i imagine tiger will get out there early in the morning before anyone else is there and hit some balls across the big lawn there or if parks people won't let him, maybe he'll hit balls into the potomac on the other side of the street so his training schedule stays on track. thought maybe he would go over to the white house putting green but gw bush still has residence there and so maybe won't let him practice although it would be a nice gesture if he would.

We will try and keep this thread non-political. But I was also surprised that he chose to do this. Regardless of the fact that this inauguration does transcend politics. Tiger has "Michael Jordan Syndrome". Always down the middle. Plays Switzerland. So this was a big move on his part.

I agree JB. Although I've always thought that if Tiger were to run for political office someday, he'd be a shoe-in.

I kind of look at it this way, if the President-Elect (Obama or otherwise) asked me to speak at the inauguration, the only reason I would turn it down was if I was too nervous to speak in front of the entire country/world.

I kind of look at it this way, if the President-Elect (Obama or otherwise) asked me to speak at the inauguration, the only reason I would turn it down was if I was too nervous to speak in front of the entire country/world.

It reminds me of Bill Clinton...he headed that Katrina fund with George H. Bush, both nominated by W. Some reporter asked him why he was working with the Bushes and how it was...he said something to the effect of, "my president asked me to do something, so I'm doing it."

Tiger and Barack should both be proud of themselves.

It reminds me of Bill Clinton...he headed that Katrina fund with George H. Bush, both nominated by W. Some reporter asked him why he was working with the Bushes and how it was...he said something to the effect of, "my president asked me to do something, so I'm doing it."

Tiger and Barack should both be proud of themselves.

I kinda feel the same way Clinton does about it. If the president asked me to say/do something, i would be honored to.

Id agree with the others that being asked to speak at the inaugeration is such a huge honor that it would be difficult to turn down.
Unless I absolutely despised whoever the president elect was, I wouldnt turn it down.
Its a pretty safe bet that the reason Woods was asked to speak has more to do with the color of his skin and that he too found success in something that has always been dominated by whites than because of his political affiliation.

It seems the Obama camp is bringing in all types of celebrities for this one.

Eh, I think it's the other way around...celebrities come around for this sort of thing.

Everyone wants to be Bono. :wink:

Especially when a Democrat is in office.

Everyone wants to be Bono. :wink:

Especially when a Democrat is in office.

As opposed to when a Republican is in the Oval Office.

Spoiler
when everyone wants to be an oil company executive.

Sorry. That was my foray into political discussions for the year. Carry on.

I wasnt picking sides Harry. just stating that most of Hollywood is Liberal.

I wasnt picking sides Harry. just stating that most of Hollywood is Liberal.

Oh, I knew that. My post wasn't directed at you (or anyone else.)

Cool, thanks for the link Ganja.

I would have gone, but I got food poisoning last night -- ugg!

That sucks WSE. Hopefully feeling better now.

Woods calls Obama's election 'absolutely incredible'
ESPN.com news services

Tiger Woods isn't one to reveal his opinions on many non-golf topics. But the No. 1-ranked player in the world did weigh in on Barack Obama's election as the first African American president in United States history.

"I think it's absolutely incredible," Woods told CNBC. "He represents America. He's multiracial. I was hoping it would happen in my lifetime. My father was hoping it would happen in his lifetime, but he didn't get to see it. I'm lucky enough to have seen a person of color in the White House."

When asked by the cable news outlet how his father Earl would have reacted to Obama's election as the 44th President of the United States, Woods didn't hesitate.

"He would have cried. Absolutely. No doubt about it."

Out of competition since his 14th major win at the U.S. Open in June due to season-ending knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, Woods also ventured into the state of the country's economy.

"I don't know if some of the tournaments, if they're going to go away or have new sponsors come in," Woods told CNBC.

Woods, who has said previously that around the start of 2009 he would begin hitting full shots again, still hopes to return to the PGA Tour for the Masters in April.

Back