George Lopez too ethnic?

NorthVanMike

Reaction score
Handicap
has anybody read David Feherty's column "Sidespin" in February's Golf Magazine?
i have it here but the whole article is now online HERE .

i find it interesting in light of the U.S.'s newly inaugurated president and his motto of "changes".

now what else can you read into Feherty saying that Palm Springs is a Republican refuge(re: affluent whites) and George Lopez is not? and neither were his buddies! can't have than now,can we.

I have always loved Lopez and his humor... I hope they invite him back after this years tournament... he needs to have some part in the game

I love Faherty. He's a hoot. But he's speculating, and his mind has gone immediately to the darkest possibility. He cites no basis for his belief that the decision was based on Lopez's race or his politics (or even his sense of humor). There's a bunch of reasons to jump at the chance to have Palmer, in his last days, step in beyond those two (or one if you see them as inextricably intertwined). So, if it is true, then shame on them, but I see no basis for Faherty to level such a claim here, and it is so easy to say, so unfair if untrue, and so difficult to disprove to those who are inclined to believe it anyway. Anyway I really wish he hadn't written that piece if has nothing more to go on than this -- maybe you can tell! :)

Here's the key 'graph, by the way:

"Now, maybe they just didn't like George's sense of humor, and that's their right. Of course, Palm Springs is, to say the very least, a Republican refuge, and most of George's cronies are (and I'm looking for a politically correct way to say this, but it's not coming to me) uh... not exactly white, and Democratically inclined."

Well said WSE. I agree completely.

All the Hispanic friends I've personally had are offended by GL. I've always found that interesting. They seem to think he makes Latinos into caricatures.

Interesting that Feherty would assert he's so immensely popular in their community.

Many races feel that way about comedians that make fun of their own.

Many races feel that way about comedians that make fun of their own.

D@mn Coen brothers.

How many times do I have to say, Fargo is in North Dakota! :wink:

another article:

http://www.thestar.com/article/571965

No joke, Mike Weir is boycotting the celebrity portion of next week's Bob Hope Chrysler Classic after his buddy, comedian George Lopez, was dumped as tournament host.

Weir said yesterday while it's "a great idea" to have golf legend Arnold Palmer, a five-time winner of the event, host this year's 50th edition in the California desert, he's "disappointed" in the way tournament officials treated Lopez.

Lopez, a Mexican-American who draws on his heritage for much of his material, acted as host of the tournament for two years. But his name was abruptly removed from the event's website last winter before officials announced they had spoken to the comic and "agreed to move in a different direction" for the 2009 event.

now why does the report point out that Lopez is a Mexican-American?

I didnt either Julie.

There's always two sides to a story, so far the only side we've heard is from people upset that Lopez isn't hosting the event. I would like to hear the organizers side of it.

MO,
I agree completely on that. Events make changes all the time. The article makes it seem very political, but I do not think that was really the case.

well. it's there. and i don't notice any mention of anyone else's heritage in the article.

Who else's heritage should they mention?

well. it's there. and i don't notice any mention of anyone else's heritage in the article.

I see it, but it's not often that they mention a Caucasian in an article. Would it have made a difference if they mentioned that they replaced a Mexican-American with a Caucasian-American to host the event? I don't think it would.

Who knows that they didn't offer Lopez the opportunity to co-host the event with Palmer and he declined? Has Lopez even commented on this?

no, they didn't offer a co-hosting role, it's in Feherety's article.

my gut feeling is that its nothing to do with ethnicity and they are trying to get cheech marin to be the celebrity host

Reactions: JB
Hosts change each and every year due to one reason or another. I understand that George Lopez is a great guy and a friend of David F.'s but I think this article was not fair. He tries to make something racial and political without any evidence whatsoever of that being the reason.

my gut feeling is that its nothing to do with ethnicity and they are trying to get cheech marin to be the celebrity host

I hear he and Tommy Chong kissed and made up?

Back