Clubs letting you down

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What one club have you been waiting for and once you got it in your hand to demo, there was a little bit of a let down.

For me it was the Vokey Wedges. The way people and reviewers talk about it, it practically should hit the ball for you and spin from here to eternity. I bought mine based on that and when I hit it at the store, it felt pretty good. But I always assumed it was me when in reality the wedge just did not work for me. Since switching and trying dozens of wedges for reviews, I cannot imagine going back to them. But they work for others which I think is great.

What equipment has done that to you?

I was really disappointed in the Nike Sasquatch Sumo2. I'd heard a lot of hype about it and the square head style drivers and how great they were, but when I hit it I was very unimpressed. It didn't look right at address and felt dead when I hit a few practice balls.

• Admin
I was the same way Osahar. I am glad they rebounded this year with the Dymo.

Yeah, the Dymo is great!

Adams clubs, tried fwy, driver, and irons. Sumething about all of them that doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, I need to check the local Dick's out and see what they have for drivers to try out. I was pretty set on wanting one of the Nickent 4DX variants, but I'm curious how the new Nike Dymo and Adams Speedline drivers feel.

And finally, I have a bag for the clubs. The fiance picked up a blue/black Ogio AMP Xtreme to go with the blue headcovers on the 3DX RC's lol.

• Admin
Great news Osahar....And congrats on 100 posts

Now...back to the topic at hand. Anyone else have a club that disappointed them now that I've derailed the thread?

Reactions: JB
I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the Vokey wedges. I want to like them, I just can't seem to hit them.

I've got an old Anser knock-off putter, that I never could get a good feel with, even after several different shafts and grips, I just couldn't be consistent with it. Now it's in the office for goofing off from time to time (I brought a practice putting cup up here, and there are usually a couple of putters leaning in the corner for folks to monkey with)

wow, i am the same way with those Vokeys. i just didnt like the feel of them at all! i bought 3 brand new ones and sold them after 3 or 4 rounds and replaced em with the Tour Edge Spin Milled wedges which i freaking love

The Cleveland CG12 wedges. I was so into them and they looked soo nice, when I tried them, it was a dissapointment.

The entire 909 series, all hype.

Reactions: JB
AJ,
I could not agree more.

Last year, when getting ready to get a new driver, I was really looking forward to the Cleveland HiBore XLS. I took a few swings with it on the launch monitor and it just didn't do it for me.

:angry::D909 haters be banished forever, don't be hatin'!

I sorta agree with Vokeys.

Nickent 4dx #2 hybrid. gone,could'nt sell it fast enough. the guy i sold it to emailed me the other day, he's selling it . :bomb:

I have a hate-hate relationship going on with my Nike 3 wood. I have a really, really hard time hitting it off the deck. It's the first wood I bought, and it's got the battle scars to prove it. I've got enough sky marks that you'd think I'd run over it (hey, I hadn't though about trying that yet...).

When I relax and hit it well, it goes like stink with a slight left draw. In fact I used it on the best shot I hit in 3 days of golf in Myrtle Beach to get over water and around a wooded island to a blind green, rolling it to within 50 feet. It was awesome. And then the next time I used it I knocked it straight up into the air about 60 feet and it landed about 20 yards downrange.

I've thought about pulling it for a 4 wood, which would allow me to pull my 5 wood as well and give me space for another hybrid or wedge.

Titleist clubs in general were a letdown for me. 975J driver, PT bore-thru 3-wood, DCI 981 irons, Vokey wedges and Scotty Cameron Red-X putter.
I didnt think that any of those clubs lived up to the great reviews I read on them.
I used to be a die-hard Titleist man, but now I dont think I would play Titleist gear even if they payed me to and gave me all the equipment I want for free.
Since I switched to my Mizuno irons, I went from a 38-40 handicap to a 20 handicap.

club in my bag would have to be my 3 wood, i believe that the 906f4 is definately geared for players who struggle a little with getting the ball in the air. im the exact opposite i hit the ball very high so i should have gotten an f2.

demo clubs that i really wanted to hit well and was hyped about was the new set of titleist blades. i love blades/muscles and i play them, but i just couldnt seem to find it with the z's. i hit them ok, but my mizunos are butter and im so glad i have them.

on the vokey note, i personally like mine, especially my 52*. i am thinking about replacing the 58* with something else tho or i could just get off my lazy behind and sharpen my grrooves :banana:

on the vokey note, i personally like mine, especially my 52*. i am thinking about replacing the 58* with something else tho or i could just get off my lazy behind and sharpen my grrooves :banana:
Dont get me wrong, Ive liked my Vokeys, but IMO they arent the magical clubs that Titleist and a lot of the golf media brags them up to be.
I also disagree with Bob Vokeys opinion that forgings dont matter in a wege.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vokeys. They are fine clubs, but theres lots of great wedges on the market that dont say, "Vokey Design" on them. :confused2:

i agree with you they are definately not the end-all magic wedge, they just feel good to me thats why i play them. i actually picked up a like new taylormade tp 52* today for $20 so i will be comparing that to the vokey over the next few weeks. whats unfortunate is that i really want to try the arc wedges but nobody near me has them actually in the store

i agree with you they are definately not the end-all magic wedge, they just feel good to me thats why i play them. i actually picked up a like new taylormade tp 52* today for $20 so i will be comparing that to the vokey over the next few weeks. whats unfortunate is that i really want to try the arc wedges but nobody near me has them actually in the store

I can't find Nickent products availible at many stores, and if they are, it's a very limited offering. I have never seen a left handed Nickent club at any retailer.

Ive never seen them at a retailer either, but you can buy them online and they are actually very inexpensive.

THey are at both Edwin Watts and Golfsmith locally, but the selection is not great.

are we talking nickent clubs in general? or just wedges? i have edwin watts like an hour away i may have to call and see whats up

Back