Callaway FT-IQ first impressions

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Took this to the range today and had a little demo session. We had 7 people there and myself to hit it. We got out of it a couple of things.

1. If you play a fade, or struggle with a slice, this driver could be the best thing you have ever worked with.

2. The Hyper X face that they put on this club is VERY HOT.

3. If you struggle with a hook once in a while, this club is NOT for you.

The overall impressions were very good. The Mitsubishi shaft in it is dynamite.

Would you recommend this driver for more of an advanced player who can hit the ball dead straight already too JB?

• Admin
Maybe Dent. That would be a personal choice. I really liked it, but a couple of the highly advanced players did not. The offset got to them. But if you fight a slice, it is one of the best I have ever hit. And the face is sooooo hot.

unfortunate that its not a draw players stick, otherwise i would be interested. jb do you think since the tour version isnt "closed" or possibly even a little open that it might be more beneficial for somebody who plays a draw

• Admin
I cant answer that AK because I have not tried that one yet.

Doesnt the tour model in the 8.5 and 9.5 degree come with a open face for better players?

thats why i was thinking it would be better for somebody who plays a draw than the regular version because draw plus a naturally closed face = huge hook

• Admin
Most of the people did not suffer from huge hooks. But the draw was an issue for one guy that plays a huge draw to begin with.

oh ok. so if i hit the ball with maybe a 5 yard draw or mostly straight then the non tour version wouldnt be a huge issue?

If you prefer a driver that is not offset, this driver may not be for you AK

I hit one on the indoor range at Dick's today. It's not for me (I just can't get to like a square-headed driver) but it definitely felt like JB says when you hit the ball. I was also hitting an '08 Hyper X, and absolutely loved that club.

Here are two video samples of a friend hitting them. TCT will recognize him as a guy that hits the ball farther than just about anybody we have ever seen.

Hey JB, how do they collect the balls from your range?

probably with a boat

Hey JB, how do they collect the balls from your range?
They are limited flight range balls and float. They do to the sides and then they get them with a net. But when Matt hits the ball like in the video, he clears the entire lake.

Agree with JB. The regular version is closed. Not good for players that draw the ball naturally. The tour version is .5 degrees open. However, the tour version only comes in 8.5 & 9.5 degrees of loft. Wish the tour version had more loft options, maybe a 10.5 degree.

Messed around with this one again today for a little bit. Had a few golfers out there to hit. I will say once again, that if you struggle with a fade or slice, this is a dream driver for you. Hot face, long ball, good ball flight, and it will keep it straight.

How would you compare it to the FT-i? I picked up an FT-i over this winter & while I have had it at the range, obviously due to the 50" of snow we have gotten there is no way any courses are open, so no way to see what the real world results are like.

I have liked what the results have been at the range though, pretty much dead straight & just as long as my Burner.

Agree with JB. The regular version is closed. Not good for players that draw the ball naturally. The tour version is .5 degrees open. However, the tour version only comes in 8.5 & 9.5 degrees of loft. Wish the tour version had more loft options, maybe a 10.5 degree.

CG, you can always bend the driver...

How would you compare it to the FT-i? I picked up an FT-i over this winter & while I have had it at the range, obviously due to the 50" of snow we have gotten there is no way any courses are open, so no way to see what the real world results are like.

I have liked what the results have been at the range though, pretty much dead straight & just as long as my Burner.

They will both be very straight and setup and sound are similar. However the IQ has a much hotter face and to me a better stock shaft for ball flight.

I just have to keep telling myself:

"$500 ... half a dime ... outrageous ... don't do it ... in 6 months they'll be $299 ... still ridiculously expensive ... self-control"

Wait Grogger. There is a lot of stuff coming down the pipe that can help. Hopefully we will be covering all of it.

I'm not sure what that means JB, but I'm all ears ... eyes ... whatever.

Back