Dubon25

Reaction score
Handicap
i have little over 90 mph on my swing speed, should i get Regular or Stiff flex on my steel irons. I currently have an old set of irons with graphite shafts that were given to me to start playing, now i am upgrading to steel shafts but i am trying to find out what flex would be best for my current swing speed

i have little over 90 mph on my swing speed, should i get Regular or Stiff flex on my steel irons. I currently have an old set of irons with graphite shafts that were given to me to start playing, now i am upgrading to steel shafts but i am trying to find out what flex would be best for my current swing speed

90 mph with what club? Fast tempo or slow tempo? What is your ball flight like? Are you spinning it too much? You can't be fit on just SS.

That would depend on the company and the swing.
1. Not all companies shafts are created the same way. And while it is less with steel than graphite, one company's regular can be another company's stiff.
2. There are far more factors to determining shaft needs than just swing speed. Spin, tempo, etc all play a roll.

Lastly, going from graphite to steel is not necessarily an "upgrade" depending on the swing and the person. In years past, that might have been the case, but some of the best iron shafts in the world are graphite and hold up to even the strongest swings.

It is all about finding something that properly fits you and the flight you like.

There is a set of taylormade burner 2 with regular and extra stiff demo sets. I am just looking for an improvement set of clubs, my swing needs to get i lot of work done so i dont want to get fitted for a set a clubs right now. I am new at this so taking baby steps on getting equipment that would help enjoy the game at the same time that i am learning.

If that is the case, I would recommend regular.

This. R flex iron shafts are not going to do a whole lot of damage, and once you get a fluid, repeatable swing, you can get your optimal shafts.
If that is the case, I would recommend regular.

If you mean old irons, ( 10 years ) throw them away. If your just starting don't over think it. If your between 18-30 yrs old reg or uniflex shaft is fine. If 30-50 yrs old just get a regular flex.

If you mean old irons, ( 10 years ) throw them away. .

I wouldnt say that. I played well enough with a set of 15 year old irons up untill a year and a half ago. Still used them for several months after I joined here.

Thank you guys for all your quick responses. I am going to get the regular flex. Happy New Year to all

I wouldnt say that. I played well enough with a set of 15 year old irons up untill a year and a half ago. Still used them for several months after I joined here.

I would guess you made a change once you saw the advancement in golf tech, clubs from 10-15 years ago are out dated

No, I knew there were huge advances in golf tech. I changed after I had a repeatable swing.

I would guess you made a change once you saw the advancement in golf tech, clubs from 10-15 years ago are out dated

While I agree in theory, I would not say all clubs from a decade ago are "done". There were some great sets at the time period and even older that stand up to the test of time.

Back