GPS vs Range Finder

I've got an interesting question for you all now, I've used my iPhone in the past but it's just too cumbersome now and I'd like to get a dedicated device to do the yardages from now on. My problem is I'm now playing one course all the time with my membership, and there are a lot of holes I can't see the pin on for my second shots, I really just need the Front/Middle/Back yardages for the most part. Any recommendations on a basic, cost effective device to get the basics down. I don't want to pay an annual fee, but since I only really need one course I don't know if I'd have to keep paying for them. Or am I totally off and a laser finder is best anyways. I'm really confused.

The Swami that CB mentioned or the Bushnell Neo Plus. Bushnell would be perfect for what you need from my experience.

CB I really hope your Hybrid shows up today! Keeping my fingers crossed!
LOL, dude every time a truck comes by the office I kind of wander my way into shipping department just to, you know "see whats going on!"

The Swami that CB mentioned or the Bushnell Neo Plus. Bushnell would be perfect for what you need from my experience.

Swami Izzo 3000, there is a THP review here that was done very well by GolferGal that explains it all.
Thanks, I looked up the review and I'll check out the Swami the next time I'm at the store, hopefully I can figure out a way to get it mounted on my clicgear 3.0.

LOL, dude every time a truck comes by the office I kind of wander my way into shipping department just to, you know "see whats going on!"

haha! That is funny! I would be doing the same thing!

I recommend the neo or neo+ over the IZZO. I was deciding between the two and I decided to take them both onto the course, the IZZO shut off on my once and wasn't the best signal, plus I don't really like the looks... The neo never shut off and clips to your belt if that's something you want.

I recommend the neo or neo+ over the IZZO. I was deciding between the two and I decided to take them both onto the course, the IZZO shut off on my once and wasn't the best signal, plus I don't really like the looks... The neo never shut off and clips to your belt if that's something you want.
Yeah, but you also recommend the Laser Link. :eyepoke: hehehe

Yeah, but you also recommend the Laser Link. :eyepoke: hehehe

Because it is a great product. I've only tried one traditional rangefinder and I gotta say the LL is better.

Because it is a great product. I've only tried one traditional rangefinder and I gotta say the LL is better.

Having both here, I can tell you that you would definitely be in the minority with that opinion. I cant think of one thing it does better than a rangefinder in my opinion. Clearly you like it more (which is cool of course), but what about it does it do better or like more than a rangefinder. They both use laser and one has magnification and one doesnt.

Im curious which IZZO you tried? The new one is spectacular and GG recently reviewed it on the home page. It was actually quite faster than the Bushnell and offered the same features.

Im curious which IZZO you tried? The new one is spectacular and GG recently reviewed it on the home page. It was actually quite faster than the Bushnell and offered the same features.
I've also had the swami izzo 1500 for aboot a year now and not had a single issue with it.

I recently got the Izzo Swami 3000. I've used it once and I like it a lot. It replaced my iGolf Neo which had the buttons starting to fall out of. I prefer GPS simply because I'm in areas of the course sometimes where line of sight to the hole is a problem...;) LOL.

I have a Callaway rangefinder and love it. Got tired of the GPS app and having to deal with my phone. I can point this at anything and get a yardage. It helps on the course, but really helps at the range. Most ranges have yardages from the front of the tees or the back. I can get accurate yardages to every target regardless of where I'm teeing off.

I have had a laser rangefinder for a long time. Having only one good eye led to asking playing partners about yardage and awful lot as my distance judgment isn't the best. I found it helped most from inside 150 yards and probably improved my game by 1/2 a dozen strokes or better.

I am thinking about buying a gps but am unsure about whats good and what isn't. There are a fair number out now where there is no yearly subscription fee and those are some of the models I am looking at. The biggest problem is simply finding good actual reviews not biased by fan-boy owners.

I have a question about gps (golf buddy platinum) I read the review and saw nothing about this so here it is.

Does the gps give a flat distance or does it take into consideration elevation changes and give a true distance?

JB, I have been looking through the reviews on the homepage and you mentioned in the Bushnell Hybrid one that you couldnt imagine using anything else. Is that still true or has a newer one won you over?

JB, I have been looking through the reviews on the homepage and you mentioned in the Bushnell Hybrid one that you couldnt imagine using anything else. Is that still true or has a newer one won you over?

As of right now, I still have the Bushnell Hybrid attached to my golf bag.

I like many others favor the rangefinder.

The best part about the rangefinder is you can use it to practice. On the range one day vs. another you may hit an 8i 165 and one day 155. This is based on many factors that only zapping a 'true' measurement can tell you, like temperature, wind, how hung over you are. This is real practice that you can help to translate to play. The GPS units are cool and all but to me they don't engage your ability to 'see' the course.

All friends of mine that have GPS end up using my rangefinder during range times and during play to get the real yardage.

Good Luck

I've tried both and it is a draw for me, but I decided to buy a GPS in the end. In KY, with rolling hills and lots of trees, I just found it nice to have yardages to unseen points like front/middle/back of the green, carry, etc.

Where I really, really miss a rangefinder though is at the range or practicing. It is nice to be able to zap a flag and know the exact distance.

Overall I'm happy with Callaway uPro and haven't been tempted by anything else I've seen others use out on the course. I haven't actively shopped for either in a while though so who knows what may be bigger, better, faster now.

The best part about the rangefinder is you can use it to practice. On the range one day vs. another you may hit an 8i 165 and one day 155. This is based on many factors that only zapping a 'true' measurement can tell you, like temperature, wind, how hung over you are. This is real practice that you can help to translate to play. The GPS units are cool and all but to me they don't engage your ability to 'see' the course.

All friends of mine that have GPS end up using my rangefinder during range times and during play to get the real yardage.

Good Luck

My rangefinder and GPS are never more than 2 yards apart from each other, which will not make a difference for my game. As you said though, the rangefinder can be used for practice which gives it an advantage. Granted, range balls will not fly as far as a "good" ball, but that can be accounted for. GPS is helpful to give me readings to front, middle, back of the green and it has a shot distance calculator. Rangefinder is helpful because it gives exact distance to the pin ( I aim for the center of the green, not the pin, so that is irrelevant). Rangefinder is also great for shooting trees, bunkers, water, etc... that my simple GPS will not do unless I actually walk the course and program in those spots.

Good Luck

I agree, I currently use a GPS and like it a lot, but I have been focusing lately on my irons and practice at an outdoor range. They are constantly changing the practice area so they can repair divots so judging distances is hard. A rangefinder could be just what I need.

I agree, I currently use a GPS and like it a lot, but I have been focusing lately on my irons and practice at an outdoor range. They are constantly changing the practice area so they can repair divots so judging distances is hard. A rangefinder could be just what I need.

Does your range have different plates on the ground with distances or a single "Distance from this point" post?

GPS or Rangfinders

GPS or Rangfinders

Not for sure if this has already been posted or not, but i would like to get a general census, on what you prefer to use on the course if any...i have a GPS, and it has worked great but i hear alot about rangefinders and how pin point accurate they are up to 1 yard, and the GPS could beabout 10 yards off, which is basically a club length for some. So I am just trying to get some info as to what you would use and what you think is better?

Not for sure if this has already been posted or not, but i would like to get a general census, on what you prefer to use on the course if any...i have a GPS, and it has worked great but i hear alot about rangefinders and how pin point accurate they are up to 1 yard, and the GPS could beabout 10 yards off, which is basically a club length for some. So I am just trying to get some info as to what you would use and what you think is better?

We're you watching the Bushnell infomercial on TGC when you started this? LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is a long thread on this somewhere... this will most likely be moved when a mod sees it.

Long story short, I use both. GPS for a quick distance to the green, rangefinder for trees, bunkers, exact to the pic, and for tournaments.

There really is no true way to determine which is "better." One is better for some while the other is better for some. The Bushnell hybrid is a great option if you want both in one compact device. I think the GPS is a little more convenient and the top tier ones give loads of measurements and have loads of other cool features. But I would not say better. They are both great for speeding up slow play :)

Back