TayloMade Releases Ghost Manta Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Following a successful year which saw increased global market share growth and an abundance of white putters in play across all major global tours, TaylorMade Golf Company is positioning itself for an even bigger 2012 with the release of the Ghost Manta: the next generation of putter technology.

Similar to its Ghost Spider predecessor, the new Ghost Manta provides the performance benefits of a high-MOI (moment of inertia) putter, but is packaged neatly in a more traditional one-piece neo-mallet shape that is sure to appeal to a wide range of golfers.

“The Manta takes a very clean and classic Tour-proven look, along with an advanced and modern technology that often comes in a quirky head shape, and combines them into one comprehensive putter,” said Michael Fox, global product manager, putters and wedges. “The result is a putter that is powerful for players of all levels, while also providing confidence while on the green.”

The Ghost Manta’s white head contrasts sharply with the turf to make it dramatically easier to determine where the face is aimed. In addition, the Ghost Manta’s white finish helps golfers align themselves to the putt more easily, as well. A study of thousands of putting strokes using TaylorMade’s proprietary MAT-T (Motion Analysis Technology by TaylorMade) System revealed that 65 percent of golfers fail to square the putter face to the target from 12 feet, leading to inaccurate putts and higher scores.* An update to its Ghost predecessors, the Ghost Manta features a new flat matte white finish which eliminates the distractions of glare and “hot spots” caused by reflected sunlight, making it easier for the player to focus his or her full attention on aiming the putter accurately and executing a sound stroke.

Key to the alignment performance of the Ghost Manta is its wide-bodied frame, which features two black rails on the top of the putter head that frame the golf ball and contrast with the white top to help improve alignment and visibility.

Additionally, all of the putter’s technology, including its two 50-gram tungsten stabilizing weights and user-adjustable weight in the center, are hidden on the sole of the putter to help the golfer maintain focus. The Ghost Manta features a new double-bend shaft, which provides the correct amount of offset without the shaft distracting from the putt.

TaylorMade teaching professional and renowned putting guru Dave Stockton helped develop the Ghost Manta, as he did with the original Corza Ghost and the entire TaylorMade Ghost series family.

Weighting system provides high MOI
The Ghost Manta features two 50-gram tungsten weights on the heel and toe of the sole, which are designed to stabilize the putter and increase MOI. This high MOI produces consistent speed on off-center hits. There is also a third user-adjustable weight in the back-center of the sole (additional weights may be purchased separately). The stock 33 and 34-inch putter heads weigh 360 grams, whereas the 35-inch putter head weighs 370 grams and the belly putter head weight is 380 grams. The head weight of the Ghost Manta long version is 440 grams.

Improved Alignment Elements
The Ghost Manta putter has two alignment elements: the leading edge and the dual alignment lines. The leading edge contrasts highly against the white surface of the putter and the green itself, while the alignment lines are painted black to maximize the golfer’s ability to see these elements clearly and use them effectively to aim the putter. Both of these high-contrast alignment elements give the golfer the best possible chance at effectively aiming the putter.

PURE ROLL Surlyn Insert
Like its Ghost Spider predecessor, the Ghost Manta is equipped with TaylorMade's patented PURE ROLL insert, which promotes forwardspin to help reduce skidding to encourage a smooth, accurate roll and precise speed control. The PURE ROLL insert's soft Surlyn construction delivers a satisfyingly soft sound and feel at impact.

Availability and Pricing
The Ghost Manta is available at retail on March 23, 2012. MSRP is $179 for standard-length center-shaft versions, and $199 for belly and long putters.

*65% claim is based on player data from TaylorMade’s MATT System.

1022905.jpg

Looks pretty darn cool! Looking forward to hearing how well that PureRoll insert works. Sounds somewhat similar to what Nike did with Drone which I really like.

No in hand pics yet? I think the design is simple and probably very efficient. I think that it may be missing a better alignment aide for me to love it.

I would love to see the sole. I saw this putter and initially dont care for the looks. but, like anything, I would give it a roll and a fair chance.

The Manta! I like the looks alot!

I recall this one getting a of buzz from people hoping it was eventually released in the US. I imagine it will sell quite well for TM.

I know with the Pure Roll insert in it, it will be a good putter. That is a sweet insert.

I initially like what I see but in-hand pics will be the deciding factor for me

I recall this one getting a of buzz from people hoping it was eventually released in the US. I imagine it will sell quite well for TM.

I tell you what I wish would release in the US......... a dang CS Fontana. Why is this so difficult TM??? WHY???

I'm intrigued. Like Tina, I would like to see the soul. A good putter needs a soul.

Kevin

I tell you what I wish would release in the US......... a dang CS Fontana. Why is this so difficult TM??? WHY???
They sell them in Canada, I can get you one any time you want buddy. Just say the word.

I don't think this putter is good looking or bad looking just fine looking.

I was one of those folks, CB was supposed to send someone to Japn and pick it up for me...hehehe
I want this putter, I have got to get me hands on one to roll

Sweet lookin! Maybe ready to upgrade my flat stick now.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Good looking putter... I loved the Spider so I look forward to trying this too!

Looks like a pretty nice putter!

I was one of those folks, CB was supposed to send someone to Japn and pick it up for me...hehehe
I want this putter, I have got to get me hands on one to roll
LOL, dude I totally forgot aboot that as my friend who is the stewardess has been back and forth a dozen times since then.

Sweet, I was loving the version that oem posted a few months ago. Can't wait to try this one out.

--
tapatalk

That sounds suspiciously like a patent infringement issue. I do not have any inside information or knowledge of any US patents that might be of concern, but when a major manufacturer sells a popular product in every market except for the US, it is usually because someone holds a US patent and has threatened to sue them.

There are a lot of cool mountain bike designs in Europe that cannot be sold in the US due to patents owned by Specialized.

umm, C/S Manta, please tell me you come in a left handed model. I didn't see that information in the presser. What a good looking putter. I've become quite the mallet man!

I think this head would be the bomb as a belly putter, those pictures on the TMag website of the belly putters looked pretty sharp

Give me the CS version and I will be a happy camper! It looks so plain and simple, but seems like it would roll it well.

i'm interested......

I like the looks of it. Nothing wrong with WHITE!

Back