Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

The sun is shining here in Indiana and it is supposed to be 45 degrees here today so I will be getting out for some range time and 9 holes after I get done with a few personal training appointments. Looking forward to getting out, it is really helping me stay confident through the winter because I usually don't play at all during the winter but we have been lucky enough to have a mild winter so far. Can't wait to get out and swing the sticks in a few hours...

Get at it dude! Have fun!

Guess I need to watch that. Yesterday I either chipped about half the distance to the hole or bladed it across the green into a sand trap. It was terrible. But I haven't been working on it so it's to be expected.

It would help tremendously man. Its easy to pick up too. Distance control is always a learning curve but you don't have to worry about the other stuff!

I like that idea. My main hope was to limit my swing a bit so it's not so timing dependent so it's there when I need it. Love your enthusisam buddy.

As for Andy's video, it's money. I've been practicing almost exclusively with the 58 since I don't have a ton of room, but I'm not chunking or skulling the ball like I was every few shots.

Exactly the results I saw Hawkster. It almost takes slapping/skulling/fatting the ball out of the equation.

How has that back swing been coming TMex?

I was pretty proud of myself Saturday because I didn't try to reach for any more than I needed and if I needed a little more, I just reached for another club.

Get at it dude! Have fun!

It would help tremendously man. Its easy to pick up too. Distance control is always a learning curve but you don't have to worry about the other stuff!

Exactly the results I saw Hawkster. It almost takes slapping/skulling/fatting the ball out of the equation.

I will say that it took me a little practice to get used to the set up, but it's very consistent. For me, not having my feet so close together helped quite a bit. So did choking down a little.

I was pretty proud of myself Saturday because I didn't try to reach for any more than I needed and if I needed a little more, I just reached for another club.

That's so hard to do, but I think it really helped me not come up short as much as I did in the previous season.

I was saying yesterday that i'm still probably 9 weeks away from getting on a course. Unless I take another weekend trip down towards OEM, then I'm about 6 weeks away haha

It doesnt have to be 6 weeks with this weather. I played yesterday and while it wasnt the warmest the wind was bearable so it worked. Tomorrow looks decent too. You might have to come down one of these 50* weekends dude. Were stealing time at this point, gotta take advantage of it.

I will say that it took me a little practice to get used to the set up, but it's very consistent. For me, not having my feet so close together helped quite a bit. So did choking down a little.

I have to check my feet. I'm not sure if I'm quite at shoulder length yet haha. not close together but its about how I would set up for a PW.

It's coming along dude! I'll do some video work at some point soon but I'm making really good contact right now. That's awesome you able to stay disciplined with that approach Seth. It's not easy!

That's so hard to do, but I think it really helped me not come up short as much as I did in the previous season.

It is, but my biggest focus is staying on form and if I do that, the ball strike will take care of itself. I just have to remember that I don't stay on form when I am reaching for a little more at this point.

It's coming along dude! I'll do some video work at some point soon but I'm making really good contact right now. That's awesome you able to stay disciplined with that approach Seth. It's not easy!

Awesome! I figured out that I hit the ball pretty well when I don't try to reach for too much. I am learning that low scores are much sexier than hitting my 7 iron 170. The toughest thing is when I have a downhill shot with a mid iron. I have to convince myself that a regular shot will be a club longer and that I don't need to put any more into the shot just because the distance is longer.

Awesome! I figured out that I hit the ball pretty well when I don't try to reach for too much. I am learning that low scores are much sexier than hitting my 7 iron 170. The toughest thing is when I have a downhill shot with a mid iron. I have to convince myself that a regular shot will be a club longer and that I don't need to put any more into the shot just because the distance is longer.

Lol the bold is what strong lofts are for ;) I know what you mean though dude. After you take that approach it seems like the distances go down, but I can tell you... they're climbing back up and its fun to watch because its much more consistent.

Lol the bold is what strong lofts are for ;) I know what you mean though dude. After you take that approach it seems like the distances go down, but I can tell you... they're climbing back up and its fun to watch because its much more consistent.

That is why I am glad I switched from the R9s to the R11s. Those strong lofts are awesome!

Isn't it amazing how much distance you get with a much smaller swing? I toyed with strengthening the lofts of my clubs, but I actually like my distances with weaker lofts and I am so used so seeing the distances I have now, I don't want to change in the middle of my golf season.

I have been sweeping the ball a little too much in my low irons and that is the next thing I am going to focus on. I have always taken a nice divot, but I am not quite getting that during my rounds, but I am doing fine on the range. Strange how that works.

you need to man.....it's been in the 50's here the past few weeks. unheard of around these parts for this time of year. you almost don't feel bad shooting a bad score because technically you shouldn't even be golfing outside right now. complete bonus golf time here in the NE

I was saying yesterday that i'm still probably 9 weeks away from getting on a course. Unless I take another weekend trip down towards OEM, then I'm about 6 weeks away haha

Isn't it amazing how much distance you get with a much smaller swing? I toyed with strengthening the lofts of my clubs, but I actually like my distances with weaker lofts and I am so used so seeing the distances I have now, I don't want to change in the middle of my golf season.

I have been sweeping the ball a little too much in my low irons and that is the next thing I am going to focus on. I have always taken a nice divot, but I am not quite getting that during my rounds, but I am doing fine on the range. Strange how that works.

I went strong to stay closer to where I'm at haha. It is strange dude. It's why a big focus will be on what can I truly bring from the range to the MC.

I went strong to stay closer to where I'm at haha. It is strange dude. It's why a big focus will be on what can I truly bring from the range to the MC.

+1 for staying consistent in the lofts. I think that will be a big factor to a lot of people. What will the pressure do? I have seen pressure make people perform better or completely shatter them. I think that being used to pressure situations will be a big factor. I think people that have played competitive sports in front of crowds in the past will have an advantage.

I was able to get 2 rounds in this past weekend visiting my in-laws. Of course, it was nice that they let me play golf when I was down there, less time to hang out with them. :wink:

It was fun to actually be outside to play golf, but my scores weren't very good, shot an 89 and 90. The first course I played was pretty easy tee to green, but had very difficult greens which led to way too many 3-putts and 38 putts overall. I also didn't have a very good feel for short game shots. In the second round, the greens were faster but didn't have as much slope, and my short game touch came back a little bit, so I only had 29 putts. The issue during that round was my ballstriking, I had too many penalty shots off of the tee with the driver and missed too many greens from the 120-150 yard range on approach shots. I'm going to take Tadashi's advice and work a bunch on shots from that distance so that I can hit more greens in the Morgan Cup.

I have worked a little bit on a more compact swing (though it's still pretty long) and have been hitting the gym this winter, and on some of the drives, I could see the fruits of that labor. I even had 2 drives on holes that were over 300 yards...yes, it was downhill and downwind, but they were still huge drives for me.

One other thing: I became a lot more comfortable with taking 3-woods and hybrids off of the tee. In the past, even when I would go with a club less than driver, I would try to swing too hard to get more distance out of it which would lead to less accuracy. I focused on just setting the club in the backswing, then making a smooth turn through the ball. I was able to hit a number of tee shots with those clubs that had a little draw on them, which is my preferred shot shape. I think those types of tee shots will be very important at Caledonia.

I was able to get 2 rounds in this past weekend visiting my in-laws. Of course, it was nice that they let me play golf when I was down there, less time to hang out with them. :wink:

It was fun to actually be outside to play golf, but my scores weren't very good, shot an 89 and 90. The first course I played was pretty easy tee to green, but had very difficult greens which led to way too many 3-putts and 38 putts overall. I also didn't have a very good feel for short game shots. In the second round, the greens were faster but didn't have as much slope, and my short game touch came back a little bit, so I only had 29 putts. The issue during that round was my ballstriking, I had too many penalty shots off of the tee with the driver and missed too many greens from the 120-150 yard range on approach shots. I'm going to take Tadashi's advice and work a bunch on shots from that distance so that I can hit more greens in the Morgan Cup.

I have worked a little bit on a more compact swing (though it's still pretty long) and have been hitting the gym this winter, and on some of the drives, I could see the fruits of that labor. I even had 2 drives on holes that were over 300 yards...yes, it was downhill and downwind, but they were still huge drives for me.

Very cool Ary. 300 yards is still 300 yards. Glad to see all that work is paying off.

Very cool Ary. 300 yards is still 300 yards. Glad to see all that work is paying off.

Yeah, it was funny, I took a picture of my GPS device that measured the ball and sent it to my dad. He had no idea that the ball probably carried 260-270 in the air then rolled out to 310. The fairways were pretty dry where I played, no chance I hit it that long in South Carolina or most other places.

Yeah, it was funny, I took a picture of my GPS device that measured the ball and sent it to my dad. He had no idea that the ball probably carried 260-270 in the air then rolled out to 310. The fairways were pretty dry where I played, no chance I hit it that long in South Carolina or most other places.

that's like my 300 yard 3 wood!

Haha, you never know my friend. If it happens for you, its going to be at the MC I hope!

that's like my 300 yard 3 wood!

That 300 yard 3 wood was beastly. We need to tee it up again there this summer.

Now that I'm back in New England, I'm going to get back to the gym today and also get some practice in on my putting green.

That 300 yard 3 wood was beastly. We need to tee it up again there this summer.

Now that I'm back in New England, I'm going to get back to the gym today and also get some practice in on my putting green.

me, you, and ghsace are going to tee it up this summer. Maybe even at that same course

It doesnt have to be 6 weeks with this weather. I played yesterday and while it wasnt the warmest the wind was bearable so it worked. Tomorrow looks decent too. You might have to come down one of these 50* weekends dude. Were stealing time at this point, gotta take advantage of it.

you need to man.....it's been in the 50's here the past few weeks. unheard of around these parts for this time of year. you almost don't feel bad shooting a bad score because technically you shouldn't even be golfing outside right now. complete bonus golf time here in the NE

Look at deandec ignoring us. He doesnt want any Delaware windy golf.

that was windy golf the day we played. There's a good chance you'll see me back down there this spring for a round or 2.

But those clubs were long for you. Your swing can generate much more distance IMO through speed. You're elbows break and lift to compensate for the length of the shafts at impact. When you swung the heavys, you hit everything fat because the weight kept you down. And the heavy irons have short shafts as it is.

You playing shorter shafts would keep you in an athletic position longer, help you have a more rounded out swing, and help you whip the club around to achieve more speed without sacrificing accuracy IMHO.

EDIT: sorry GG, sidetracked.... feel free to move the posts to the prep thread?

Hey Chunky, in here.

lol most days I don't either but days like today, how could you not?

yeah but if you can golf in cool NE wind, FL wind is just a coolbreeze

that was windy golf the day we played. There's a good chance you'll see me back down there this spring for a round or 2.

Back