Tape under grips?

I use a mid-size grip or a standard with tape added to achieve the same effect. I've just started doing my own grips last year, and i've got a question for all of you...

With the extra layers of grip tape, are you using the same double sided tape you put the grips on with for each layer or are you using "build-up tape"? I bought some tape online and it's the single sided build up tape and seems quite a bit thicker that the regular double sided grip tape. Does anyone know if it is typically thicker and what the measurement is vs. the 1/64th for the double sided tape? Thanks!

Interested in responses to this as well.
When I re-gripped my irons, I tried to use 2 wraps and the top wrap would not stay on after a I put the solvent on.

Can anyone help lemmiwinks and I with this? (see previous post)

I use medium grips over two wraps of tape. I was sized for smaller grips but my hands are somewhat authritic.

Can anyone help lemmiwinks and I with this? (see previous post)

Did some research Flooder and found the most common practice is to build up with masking tape and put the grip tape on the top layer and then install the grip as normal.
Think I'm gonna try this over the weekend with the free Black Widow grip that I got for liking them on Facebook.

Has anyone ever done this before by themselves? I just bought a few of the new Lamkin REL 3GEN grips and bought the pink ones. Yea, I like pink! Since they come with the .580 size the guy at Golfsmith told me that 4 layers of tape would make up the difference to get them to the .600 standard. He said they usually use masking tape to make up the difference and then add one strip of grip tape. I tried it tonight and thought that it felt a little lumpy. I have regripped my own clubs for the past 6 years so I know how to go about it the normal way. Is there an easier to put more layers on that using masking tape?

i had a midsize grip and when i changed i could only get a standard grip so i put a few extra wraps on to build it up.

Back