Tour Head vs Stock Head

chirpy

Reaction score
Handicap
I've read some posts about people special ordering tour head clubs. What's the difference?

I believe the tour heads are usually a bit smaller? (less forgiveness but more workability)

I think they usually have an 'open' bias as opposed to a neutal or closed stock setting. Usually in drivers they may come on lower lofts that are available to the public, (7*, 8*, etc...).

Smaller, lower loft, and open bias. Anyone over a 4-5 handicap is foolish to think they would benefit from one of these IMO.

Workability, Size and ultimately the decrease in forgiveness. Standard tp drivers come with upgraded shafts, that's normally what you pay for. The kick point in the shaft tend to be slightly lower. The average golfer will hit non tp drivers further due to the forgiveness aspect.

Workability, Size and ultimately the decrease in forgiveness. Standard tp drivers come with upgraded shafts, that's normally what you pay for. The kick point in the shaft tend to be slightly lower. The average golfer will hit non tp drivers further due to the forgiveness aspect.

Absolutely right about the shafts, but we're talking about heads.

Smaller, lower loft, and open bias. Anyone over a 4-5 handicap is foolish to think they would benefit from one of these IMO.

Disagree completely. Check out Yoccos's thread about the Callaway performance center. When he went last year he was a 15 or 16. He was fitted for both razr hawk tour driver and octane tour fairways. Thats why fittings are important.

Disagree completely. Check out Yoccos's thread about the Callaway performance center. When he went last year he was a 15 or 16. He was fitted for both razr hawk tour driver and octane tour fairways. Thats why fittings are important.

I'm thinking like actual tour heads... like what a prop would use, not the stock ones that are sold. Chirpy did say 'special ordering' in the first post.

I'm thinking like actual tour heads... like what a prop would use, not the stock ones that are sold. Chirpy did say 'special ordering' in the first post.

Your still wrong.
You can special order a tour mashie head thats not retail and thats what setho was fitted for and hes a double digit too.

I agree with ddec here. I am a 14 HC and prefer the Tour Mashie to the regular version.

Sometimes stronger lofts are available, usually minimal offset which allows more workability compared to the non-tour version..

The OP wanted to know if there is difference between the two setups. Can anyone answer this question, without guessing so he can make an informed decision?

I am a 20 cap and I need a tour mashie vs. the normal mashie. I fight a big draw and I like a smaller head from the fairway and rough.

The OP wanted to know if there is difference between the two setups. Can anyone answer this question, without guessing so he can make an informed decision?

My response would be it varies by OEM. If interested in a certain brand, contact that company and find out what the real difference is

100% Correct, depends entirely on your swing.

Good point. After a little research this is what I got:

Stronger faces to deal with high speeds.
More loft options.
Forward COG for workability.
Lower launch and spin

This is good, solid info and each club maker may or may not adubt one of all of these in their tour heads.

Good point. After a little research this is what I got:

Stronger faces to deal with high speeds.
More loft options.
Forward COG for workability.
Lower launch and spin

I have seen drivers on Ebay that are advertised as " Tour Issue Hot Melted". Not sure what that means, if anything at all.

A little off of what the OP is asking, but I do know that the golf balls tour pros get are better than what an average golfer can find. They are brand new off the factory line so the compression is as close to original as can be. A golf ball that sits in a pro shop for 2 months before it is bought will have less compression that a new one.

Your still wrong. You can special order a tour mashie head thats not retail and thats what setho was fitted for and hes a double digit too.
Sheesh. Kind of a harsh response. I think his point was valid. Just because they stamp Tour on the head doesn't mean it's tour issue.

Hot melting is a way of adding weight to the head to adjust the CG and some say reduce vibration.
I have seen drivers on Ebay that are advertised as " Tour Issue Hot Melted". Not sure what that means, if anything at all. A little off of what the OP is asking, but I do know that the golf balls tour pros get are better than what an average golfer can find. They are brand new off the factory line so the compression is as close to original as can be. A golf ball that sits in a pro shop for 2 months before it is bought will have less compression that a new one.

I've read some posts about people special ordering tour head clubs. What's the difference?

If your talking Driver in general the head will have a slight diff design, most will have a deeper crown. More open face, with a smaller cc head. If the non tour model is 460cc the tour is 430cc. Loft can range from 7 to 10.5. Shaft can be what ever you want it to be.

I was told at a TaylorMade MAT-T fitting that the TP version heads are slightly heavier. This is what was recommended to me simply because my hands don't roll through as good as they should. With the "extra weight" of the TP version it seemed to make me hit the ball better--WITH MY SWING. For you naysayers, I was told this after hitting different clubs and then finding out there was a difference................

I was told at a TaylorMade MAT-T fitting that the TP version heads are slightly heavier. This is what was recommended to me simply because my hands don't roll through as good as they should. With the "extra weight" of the TP version it seemed to make me hit the ball better--WITH MY SWING. For you naysayers, I was told this after hitting different clubs and then finding out there was a difference................

Hmmm. This is interesting. I have weighed both heads and have both here and the weight was virtually identical. Are you speaking of R11 heads?

Hmmm. This is interesting. I have weighed both heads and have both here and the weight was virtually identical. Are you speaking of R11 heads?

With the R11 it would depend on the weights you have in it right? They have weight anywhere from 2 grams to 24 grams, so he could have had a heavier weight in there?

Yes, I'm speaking of the R11 TP Heads............I certainly can't dispute what you have on your desk JB, but passing along what I was told. As the fitting function was completely separate from any sales functions, I didn't think the fitter needed to spin a yarn to get me on board with the TP offering.

Ice- it's completely possible that he could have head different weights in there, but this wasn't mentioned. I also don't remember my order form having any particular mention of weight changes from the standard set-up. I'm away from home until early Feb, but will follow up with TM when I get back.

Good News - I got a call from TM Hong Kong that my clubs are in!
Bad News - I'm away until early Feb!

Back