The little things that take a ccurse from good to great...

No doubt. At our Central Iowa gathering we played a beautiful course. However, the range was basically all mud and we all ended up 3 inches taller from it sticking to our shoes. It ruined the range time.

This^ It was a mess out there.

Besides a few of the standard listed refinements, just good professional people running the place that act like they really like that you are there. I played a very nice course in Mo early one morning, they were out of coffee. No biggy to me, I drive about a mile to the Driving range and here comes the manager in a cart with two cups of fresh coffee. I was impressed.

I played a course in the st. augstine area with my dad over the summer and they actually took my bag from me, as i was walking across the parking alot, put it on the cart for me. Had a towel in the cart for each of us, tees, and gave us a bottle of water as well. Made me want to come back again when i go down to see my parents again.

I expect good grass in the fairways, and greens that are fast and consistent. I've played on courses that are "natural," where nature takes care of the fairway conditions. That is all well and good, but when I hit a tee shot onto the fairway, I want lush, green grass under my ball, and a smooth, receptive green to shoot to. Off the fairway, I deserve anything I get.

Caddies. There is something about having a good caddy that just makes a round more fun, especially if you don't play there often. Too bad so few courses have them.

Variety. Not really a terribly small thing, but not payed much attention to either. I love courses with good variety.

Of course the physical parts of the course are important. But to me it's all about customer service. If the staff for example are pompous, pretentious "holier than thou" types I don't care how beautiful the course is... it's a awful time. When I golfed Harbourtown Golf Links this past summer.. they flat out have it right. Treat you like royalty.

Alex

Sometimes for me it's the courtesy of the other golfers on the course. Proper golf etiquette is a must. Nothing more frustrating than striping a tee ball down the middle and as you watch your buddy hit, someone drives into your fairway and picks up your ball.

Back