Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I've been absent from this thread for awhile, I've been working but nothing flashy.

Tonight I needed to blow off some steam from work blahness so I headed up to get some sim time and see where my swing was coming undone. There are a few flaws in my swing that have been pretty difficult to get rid of simply because I've had them for so long. A major one is steepness, doesn't hurt so bad with iron play but it can be killer with driver in hand.

When working with golftec we worked on getting on plane on the takeaway. Well thankfully that is still spot on, hands are perfectly hidden by the club head going back. The problem arises about halfway along the down swing, that's where the steepness comes in.

Spent a solid hour working on that specific part of the swing with minor results. No major breakthroughs but at least I've got a better idea of what is happening and started addressing it.

Keep plugging away SW. You will get it. Plenty of time to work on the game!

****I have to say that I'm proud to be apart of this community! With all the competition going on between members for the MC. It's great to see that everyone is still urging each other to keep up the good work and that it will pay off. That's just something different to me. I guess it's the competitive nature that I have.

Went down and putted on my birdie ball again. Worked on 10' putts again for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. I love the feel of the Betti! It's crisp sound off the face is a sound I'm starting to get lodged into my memory. Love the wait. Just makes it seem effortless to get the ball rolling almost immediately! I'm sorry I keep saying that I went down and blah blah blah... But it's winter in NW Ohio and it's the only part of my game I can really work on. Sorry for being repeatative.

Still have a long way to go! I really don't want to look like an idiot when I come down to the Morgan Cup.

Dude, I would love to have the setup you have to work on my putting....keep up the good work....and don't worry...you aren't going to look like an idiot...lots of time left to shave a few strokes off here and there.

I've been absent from this thread for awhile, I've been working but nothing flashy.

Tonight I needed to blow off some steam from work blahness so I headed up to get some sim time and see where my swing was coming undone. There are a few flaws in my swing that have been pretty difficult to get rid of simply because I've had them for so long. A major one is steepness, doesn't hurt so bad with iron play but it can be killer with driver in hand.

When working with golftec we worked on getting on plane on the takeaway. Well thankfully that is still spot on, hands are perfectly hidden by the club head going back. The problem arises about halfway along the down swing, that's where the steepness comes in.

Spent a solid hour working on that specific part of the swing with minor results. No major breakthroughs but at least I've got a better idea of what is happening and started addressing it.

I have the same issue SW, I tend to get too steep on the downswing...it's something I have really been working on....it's a fine line..just when I think I am there I start pulling the crap out of the ball...keep working...you will get there soon.

Dude, I would love to have the setup you have to work on my putting....keep up the good work....and don't worry...you aren't going to look like an idiot...lots of time left to shave a few strokes off here and there.

I have the same issue SW, I tend to get too steep on the downswing...it's something I have really been working on....it's a fine line..just when I think I am there I start pulling the crap out of the ball...keep working...you will get there soon.

Nail on the head dude.

--
tapatalk

My winter simulator league starts tonight. While it's not the same as being out on the course, it will at least get me hitting shots again. It's a 10 week league, so it should carry me right over in to spring golf. I'm guessing that my TM MCs will play the most similar to the J40 DPCs so they will be in the bag.

My winter simulator league starts tonight. While it's not the same as being out on the course, it will at least get me hitting shots again. It's a 10 week league, so it should carry me right over in to spring golf. I'm guessing that my TM MCs will play the most similar to the J40 DPCs so they will be in the bag.

I agree. I am considering having the lofts matched exactly so my distances will be similar. Trying to decide if I want traditional lofts or strong lofts. Thinking traditional, but if I go strong, I will need to strengthen the MC irons.

Just wanted to say that it's really fun to read about the preparations you are doing gents. I bet MC 2.0 will be a great event for you all :)

What is the Morgan Cup?

My prep today is shoveling snow as we have has a bit of a snow storm here. Plus I went to the gym

Sounds fun but hard to qualify.

Lesson night and then an hour of swing practice afterwards. Things are good and I'm continually impressed with what I'm learning and how it's being presented to me. Wish I'd done this about 6 months ago, but I sort of don't since I can focus solely on this instead of playing too. Irons are getting longer than I really expected them to with what seems like a pretty effortless swing at the time.

Big focus right now is staying loose. It's HARD for me to do that, but if I just let go and swing I'm seeing the best results.

Forgot to mention one other thing we worked on at the end of the lesson today. He called it a ladder drill (? I think) and I was basically hitting the 7 iron from 50 yards to full swing distance. He wants me to be able to hit every distance I can with one club.

Forgot to mention one other thing we worked on at the end of the lesson today. He called it a ladder drill (? I think) and I was basically hitting the 7 iron from 50 yards to full swing distance. He wants me to be able to hit every distance I can with one club.
Sounds like an interesting drill, Hawk. I once had a lesson similar, but it was to take every club in the bag and hit it to 100 yards. Was interesting taking the Driver and swinging it nice and easy to 100 yards. Really worked on grooving a swing throughout the bag.

Sounds like you are working hard for the Morgan Cup, good stuff!

Lesson night and then an hour of swing practice afterwards. Things are good and I'm continually impressed with what I'm learning and how it's being presented to me. Wish I'd done this about 6 months ago, but I sort of don't since I can focus solely on this instead of playing too. Irons are getting longer than I really expected them to with what seems like a pretty effortless swing at the time.

Big focus right now is staying loose. It's HARD for me to do that, but if I just let go and swing I'm seeing the best results.

Sounds like an interesting drill I might have to try that one.

It has been very cold and snowy here so I have been working on a little chipping in my basement and then just training at the gym. I have had three of the best workouts I have had in a long time this past week. I am focusing on high reps as I work out each major muscle group, but I am spending extra time on my core. Flexibility and strength in the core of the body is most important for the golf swing. I haven't taken any sports supplements in a long time but I did buy a few vitamins at the gym as well as some pre-workout supplements to help fuel my workouts even more. Nothing major, just some NO2 supplements that help open up the blood vessels so my body can deliver oxgen and nutrients to my muscles faster, which gives me more endurance and helps me recover much faster. I have also increased the amount of protein I eat throughout the day, and have overall been eating a lot better for the last couple of weeks.

My prep today is shoveling snow as we have has a bit of a snow storm here. Plus I went to the gym

haha I've had a couple of those snow workouts over the last week.

Nice job Hawk...I finally bit the bullet and I have my swing evaluation scheduled with GolfTec next Tuesday evening, I take the last of the lessons I got for Christmas this weekend....I like what the guy showed me...but honestly I really want the video part of the GolfTec lessons....I mean it's one thing to tell me I am releasing the club too early...but if you can show me on high speed video I think that will really help. I plan on signing up for a 6 month plan of 15 lessons...that will take me right up to the Morgan Cup!

Good stuff Tim, Golftec has an amazing process to get you on the road to playing better golf.

--
tapatalk

Had my sim league start last night. The swing wasn't so good for the first 5 or 6 holes. Just felt awful. I haven't hit a ball since I returned from Florida so it was expected. I never thought I could be so wild with the driver on a simulator! Early on in the night I just didn't seem to have any kind of speed through the ball. That change the more I swung. I was hitting my irons fat too. I know scores don't really mean much on a simulator but I ended up shooting a 42 on the front and a 40 on the back with 2 birdies and 1 triple and 1 bogey. By the end of the night the swing felt better. It's still rusty, but heck it's January, there is a long ways to go. I think being in this league will be a benefit to me because even when it's cold and miserable out, I will still be able to go and hit balls while staying warm.

Had my sim league start last night. The swing wasn't so good for the first 5 or 6 holes. Just felt awful. I haven't hit a ball since I returned from Florida so it was expected. I never thought I could be so wild with the driver on a simulator! Early on in the night I just didn't seem to have any kind of speed through the ball. That change the more I swung. I was hitting my irons fat too. I know scores don't really mean much on a simulator but I ended up shooting a 42 on the front and a 40 on the back with 2 birdies and 1 triple and 1 bogey. By the end of the night the swing felt better. It's still rusty, but heck it's January, there is a long ways to go. I think being in this league will be a benefit to me because even when it's cold and miserable out, I will still be able to go and hit balls while staying warm.

That's cool Dean, I have never played on a Sim other than the "driving range mode" at Golf Galaxy or another big box store... At least this allows you to keep swinging a club during the winter.

Imma tee it up with forum member SW on Monday morning.

I have actually taken 2 weeks off of golf to just relax the mechanism. I will be back and at 'em next week. Of course I putt around after I get off work, but I am being careful to pace myself.

I played in a sim league last year and while the sim at this place really sucked and didn't indicate any side spin at all it was a good way to keep the golf muscles working all winter long. Sim golf is better than sitting on the couch all winter long that's for sure.

Imma tee it up with forum member SW on Monday morning.
Have fun buddy! I hope to see some pictures or a hole of the day video from you guys.

I played in a sim league last year and while the sim at this place really sucked and didn't indicate any side spin at all it was a good way to keep the golf muscles working all winter long. Sim golf is better than sitting on the couch all winter long that's for sure.

this one seemed to pick up side spin with no problem. One guy I was playing with was hitting some massive hooks, which he said is his normal miss. You are right though, it's better than sitting on the couch all winter.

Back