How did you become a fan?

Dustin Johnson is my favorite golfer. I love his swing and huge shoulder turn but following him at this years US Open was amazing. Watching him hit some crazy shots that I could never make the green from the lies he was hitting from just amazed me. What really got me watching him was when he was robbed after grounding his club in that so called trap. He went on and kept it rolling.

In no particular order:

Greg Norman - The guy had/has a swagger about him. I liked the style of golf he played when I was younger, he just bashed the ball, but actually could dominate in other facets of the game as well.

Phil Mickelson - THe OG of Lefty's! I love his short game, I love his swagger, I love how he isn't afraid to try the impossible. He's the reason I got into golf so much.

Lee Westwood - Dude was chubby, dude lost his game and almost quit. But he didn't. He got to work, he got his game back and he climbed all the way to #1 in the world. I love his swing, I love him from tee to green. He's also a chirpy lad and I love that he brings back a bit of a rivalry between us and them.

Did you also like the Buffalo Bills back in the early 90s, and maybe the Philadelphia Eagles during the Donovan McNabb run?

I like a lot of different golfers on tour, and I can almost always find someone to root for when a tournament is on. My current top 3 is hard to pick, but here goes:

1. Tiger. Hey, we all want to witness history, so why not? Also, I have a fairly pompous friend I have known for many years. Back in the Fall of 1996, when Tiger first went professional, this friend of mine gave me a full lecture on why Tiger would never be particularly successful on the PGA Tour (primarily based on his poor putting when he first started out). I enjoy reminding my friend of this every time Tiger wins.

2. Jim Furyk. I just like a guy who seems to squeeze every ounce of performance out of his relatively limited talent.

3. Can I pick Tom Watson....I know he's not on the Tour anymore, but I so wanted him to win The Open a couple years ago. Okay, probably Justin Leonard. Same reason I like Furyk.

Honorable Mention: K. J. Choi. My wife is Korean, and she will watch any tournament in which Choi is competitive. When Choi does well, all is right in the Rusty household.

Haha, very true. But he really is a good, guy the guys at Callaway love him. Every time I have seen him he is smiling and laughing and having a great time. Like a taller, younger, better looking Miguel Angel Jimenz.

SOLD!

But yeah, Alvaro really does come across as a great guy. MAJ should take him on as an apprentice.

My three are:

Ben Hogan: I could watch him swing all day. He once locked himself in a room for a few hours with the lights off and just a chair and a golf club trying to figure out why he was hooking the golf ball.

Matt Kuchar: Seems like very nice guy. Always has a smile.

Tommy Gainey: Homemade swing that he's made work.

I find it hard to pick three of ALL of the golfers who ever played the game...I have a top 3 current golfers and top 3 "legends."

My top 3 "legends" are, in no particular order, Seve Ballesteros, Jack Nicklaus, and Tom Watson. Seve for his absolute creativity, flair, and imagination on the course, Nicklaus...well, he's the Golden Bear! And Watson for the way he seems to keep it cool and simple on the course.

As far as the current players, this is in order:

3. Rory McIlroy - his swing looks perfect. Effortless, powerful, and graceful. He's got as much talent as Tiger had in his prime, and once he develops mentally, he is going to be one of the more dominant golfers in his generation.

2. Phil Mickelson - yes, his putting has gone south as of late, but his fearless, imaginative style reminds me of Seve. He's the most intriguing golfer to watch on the course (a bombed drive and a birdie hole followed by a push or pull into pine straw forcing him to try some crazy shots to get out). And his humble, sociable personality is just great. Plus, he's hit one of the best shots in Masters history.

1. Tiger Woods - His past is legendary, and when he is contending in a tournament, he is the man to watch. His powerful style of play and his do-or-die mentality....and the kinds of shots that he made under pressure...keep me watching.

Honorable Mention: Freddy Couples - I can't quite put him into "legend" status, but the cool demeanor and the almost lazy swing of his is timeless.

Not really a fan of anyone in particular, however, there are plenty I root against :) I just like seeing good golf whether it is Tiger, PM, Duval or even Zach playing the good golf. I love to see Sabatini, Na and Boo stink it up though.

HOW DID I BECOME A FAN?

Tiger Woods highlights, and video games. That, and my grandpa took me out for my first round, long after I had been playing the video games, and I was hooked, instantly!

T1 - I like Tiger because he is Tiger. I like seeing domination. He is the most exciting to player to watch.

T1 - I like Luke Donald (and I have long before he became #1), simply because of the way the plays the golf course, he dissects it. I also love his style, and his golf swing.

I guess thats all... Mike Weir was extremely polite and took some time out of his schedule to talk to me about me, that was nice. Has nothing to do with him being canadian.

Stricker. He's a cheesehead, he's old, and he's pulled himself out of the depths not once, but twice. That simple swing is magic with the short irons. He's humble, like me. And his "Hey look at me!" fashion sense is an inspiration.

Yani. The female golfer, not the musician. She has fun, and has worked so hard to be able to fit in and help the LPGA Tour. She can play a little bit, too.

Tom Watson. Damn, I wish he would have won that Open Championship.

Kevin

I have forever been a fan of Freddie. Smooooth swing, power, and attitude.
Next Tiger. Hate what he has done to himself, but the records are too much to dissuade me.
Third, Arnie, for all he's done to this game we all so much love. We wouldnt be here without him.

Isnt it telling when we refer to them with one name?

I like a lot of different guys for many reasons.

1. As my screen name says, I like Tommy Gainey. I've watched every episode of every Big Break and I immediately liked him.

2. I switched to Jim Hardy's one plane swing ~ 5 yrs ago, so I like a lot of the players with rotary swings or who swing more around their bodies rather than down the line. This includes a lot of Euros: Sergio, Westwood, Harrington, Quiros, Olazabal, Jimenez, McDowell, etc. This group also includes Tiger and all the Foleyites, Kuchar, Day, Fowler, Byrd, Duval, Chad Campbell, Dufner, Kim, Rollins, etc.

3. Similar to Two Gloves, I love Boo Weekley.

4. I'm trying to quit, but I've been known to toss a club or 10. That means I have to enjoy watching Perez, Hoffman, Stenson, Woody Austin, etc.

5. I like guys who play fast. Sabbatini and Snedeker come to mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Me becoming a fan as a kid Arnie in the If I remember correctly the washington Star weekly Golf article with his tips. And Sam Snead will always be close to heart. Last decade or so Tiger.

Tiger, DJ, Stricker

Tiger's the reason I play golf. I used to see him on tv playing golf back in his hay day and it made the sport look fun. Having thousands of people erupt when he made a putt or hit a good shot just made the sport seem so cool to me.

DJ. he's a TM dude and so am I. He hits the ball long which is fun to watch and I like his adidas gear.

Stricker, he seems like a normal guy who has amazing talent. He seems like he is a great role model and has a short game to kill for.

Luke Donald - Class
Fred Couples - Tempo and cool
Phil - What will he do next?

Mr 2glove,
Theres many I dont like too, but thats a different thread.
And oh, yeah, 3 not 30.
I love the focus on those who inspire us.
Great thread Tadashi.

Adam Scott is the first golfer I can honestly say I became a fan of. I like his style, his swing is text book awesome, and he is a humble man. I think the fact he IS so humble, is what cost him success in his younger years. It seems he has more of a spark now. I look for BIG things from him in his 30's.

Having volunteered as a standard bearer a few times at the BMW Championship at Cog Hill, I can say that I have became a big fan of Steve Stricker. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He shook my hand pre-round and asked my name. After the round he came up to me, remembered my name, shook my hand and said Jeff, thanks for walking with us today, I hope you had fun. He interacts with the fans and always takes time out.

I walked with Camillo too and he was really cool. His caddy was a hoot. Walked with them in the pro-am and they had me in stitches the whole time. Anyone that takes time out for the fans and doesn't treat them like a space alien, I am a fan off. Some of the best I have seen are Phil, Stricker, Kucher, Anthony Kim.

Mr 2glove,
Theres many I dont like too, but thats a different thread.
And oh, yeah, 3 not 30.
I love the focus on those who inspire us.
Great thread Tadashi.

Sorry to offend you. If you limit me to three I'll take Gainey, Garcia and Tiger.

This is a great read, thanks for the candor. I think you can learn a lot by reading through this. I did the diversity in the picks.
Yani is a great pick Esox.
Two gloves I like your post and reasons, thx for sharing. Just try to keep the negative for another thread. Looking forward to more responses

Tiger Woods - I was at the Greater Milwaukee Open when he made his professional debut
Dustin Johnson / Gary Woodland - Dudes bomb it
Tom Watson - Pure Class and a short game that makes me envious

Sorry Tadashi, I edited out the guys of whom I'm not a fan.

It pains me an incredible amount that I can't pick Phil for all 8 spots in fantasy golf. I'm also disappointed that I can't pick him every week. Only choosing 10 this whole year will easily be the most difficult thing I do all year. Is that an adequate description of how much I like him?

He's a really cool guy, both on and off the course. I love his style of play a lot. I love the agressive decisions and fun shots he pulls off. Off the course, he's so cool and you can really tell he loves his fans. When I met him and he signed my hat at the US Open, he was so personable and even joked with me a little. He's just a great guy.

Add in the fact that he hits from the correct side of the ball, and you've got an amazing guy! I LOVE PHIL!!!

I tend to like the guys who I might enjoy golfing with...:D

My fav three;
Tiger, I love the greats, and Jordan was on his way out just as Tiger was starting out so it was a natural transition to the next dominant athlete.
Dustin Johnson, love watching him hit the long ball, but his nonchalant attitude can be off-putting
Bubba Watson, some of the shots he hits, especially when not needed, are amazing to watch.

Tom Watson - To me, the classiest act in golf. Plays the game the right way, and his short game is just fun to watch. I don't see how you could pull against him.

Tiger - His physical ability and the way he dominated the game for such a long time.

Bubba - His creativity and the fact his golf swing is just something he does by himself, with no coach. The average golfer can relate to him.

Jack, Freddie boom boom, and Tiger. All for different reasons. Jack because my father liked him, and I liked him because of my Dad. I grew up watching Jack, and he is part of the reason for my continued love of golf! Freddie because he is from Seattle, and he is frankly one of the most likable athelete's of our time. I have met him briefly, and he is as nice as you would think. Tiger because I really did like him before I knew anything about him, and now, don't much care for him, but he is one of the most interesting guys to watch, and in the end, I like that. Special note to Phil... I enjoy watching him too!

Back