Felt like I had it today, but...

Dr.Deuss

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing in a club tournament today, my game was clicking. Due to frost delay, we had a shotgun start which put me on the Par 3 14th. Very nice way to start the round on the easiest hole of the course. I was playing solid, bogey free -2 through my first 9 holes. I then went bogey, bogey, triple, bogey, double. +8 in 5 holes! The three bogies were solid saves, but the triple and double were just mental lapses. Brain freeze, whatever you want to call it. After that I went birdie, par, par, par. The scorecard reads 43-34 for a 77. I was playing great golf and just lost focus for a few holes. Other than that, it was the the best I've ever played. Only 28 putts, nearly holed every single putt today, leaving lots of nice tap-ins. I was very happy to continue my success on the greens that I've been experiencing as of late.

Not really mad about those two poor holes, just a little miffed that I lost focus as badly as I did. I really felt shooting 70 or better was a possibility for me, and I've never shot below 74. Aside from that, first tournament of the year, I'm happy to have shot in the 70's. I'm bumped up to the top flight now which is about +2 through 6 or 7. Tough competition and I'm anxious to see the results later this week.

Congrats on the good scoring...all it takes is a little let down and it can get away from you.

Congrats on the nice round. Just put those 5 holes behind yourself and move forward. Good Luck and Enjoy

I agree with the others, very solid round. I always expect a brain f@rt or 2 when I am playing so I tend to not let them fustrate me, and I really love it when they don't happen at all. Good luck in the results and let us know how you placed.

Thank you. I'm finding it easier to just cut those 5 holes out of my mind, and chalk it up to playing with 2 guys shooting 100+, and a husband and wife that weren't even in the tournament. We played a 5-some for no reason. Kind of funny. More encouraged by the good results than discouraged by the bad.

Nice that you were able to block out the bad and finish with a good score. Hard to drop that many shots in 5 holes and finish with 77. Very nice!

Your round started out great and you had a few consecutive bad holes in there but your rebounded remarcably. next time you go out know you have the confidance to hit the shots you need too and that when something doesn't go as planed you can regroup and get it back. It's experiance and confidance and you have them both. Best of luck hit em long, hit em straight, and hit em close. you have all the tools

Finally got the results today. Tied for first in the Net part of my flight. Lost the scorecard tiebreaker, taking 2nd place! Not a bad way to start the year. One of the beasts in my flight shot a 66! Thank goodness they did a net flight. For the gross scores, it looks like I was 4th or 5th. Very encouraging knowing I'm very close to putting it all together. Ready to get out tomorrow for another tournament.

Finally got the results today. Tied for first in the Net part of my flight. Lost the scorecard tiebreaker, taking 2nd place! Not a bad way to start the year. One of the beasts in my flight shot a 66! Thank goodness they did a net flight. For the gross scores, it looks like I was 4th or 5th. Very encouraging knowing I'm very close to putting it all together. Ready to get out tomorrow for another tournament.

Good luck DD, and glad you finished in 2nd. I hope you do well tomorrow!

Thank you! Just going to have a good time, keep the ball in play, and make lots of pars.

Congrats on the great round! I am even more impressed you are not completely down about your little rough stretch. It happens. Great round.

+8 in five holes and end with a 77.....that's solid in itself!

Tough break in the middle of the round. Way to dig out of poor play and finish strong. Can you pinpoint the brain fart? Did you start thinking about your score? Did you get too relaxed?
We've all been there and blown up just wanted to know if you could put a finger on the moment. 77 is respectable for sure, keep it going

Tough break in the middle of the round. Way to dig out of poor play and finish strong. Can you pinpoint the brain fart? Did you start thinking about your score? Did you get too relaxed?
We've all been there and blown up just wanted to know if you could put a finger on the moment. 77 is respectable for sure, keep it going

Absolutely, playing the course out of order, I had just finished my front 9 with a birdie putting me at 2 under. Think I started thinking about an under par round at this point. Pulled my tee shot on the next hole, a tough par 3, and came away with a respectable bogey. Not too upset. Next hole was one of the toughest on the course. Hit a terrible drive, pulled into a tree, dropped just in front of the ladies tees still leaving me 300 out. No worries, almost got up and down, settled for bogey. Even par. Now we get to the par 5 7th, toughest hole on the course. OK drive, but blocked me out from a real go at the green in 2. FOR SOME REASON, however, I tried to play a big hooking 3 wood that didn't workout. 3rd shot all I could do was punch it out. Facing a 50-60yd pitch, I left that short of the green, then fluffed my chip, then tried putting with hybrid and blew it to the back, 2-putt for an 8. That's usually a par hole for me. Pulled my drive again on the next hole, punched into a bunker, 2 shots out of the sand and one putt for bogey. Par 3 9th, shanked my tee shot, pitched on and three putt. After that it was birdie, par, par, par to finish.

Definitely think I've become too relaxed on the stretch from 5 through 9, as I shot the exact same on those holes a few days before. Taking 5 shots from within 60 yds really ticked me off, and I didn't listen to myself on the punch shot into the bunker. I knew I couldn't hook it enough standing against a tree to make the green, yet I still tried it.

I need to treat every shot with the attention it deserves, and listen to myself when I need to play safe or a recovery shot. I don't believe the thought of shooting under par is what got me, but it could have been. Think it's mostly about keeping focus, and not giving myself solid visualizations on those tough holes. Who knows though, not me or I would be scratch! Thanks for the encouragement.

Thank you, other than those 5 holes it was the round of my life!

Absolutely, playing the course out of order, I had just finished my front 9 with a birdie putting me at 2 under. Think I started thinking about an under par round at this point. Pulled my tee shot on the next hole, a tough par 3, and came away with a respectable bogey. Not too upset. Next hole was one of the toughest on the course. Hit a terrible drive, pulled into a tree, dropped just in front of the ladies tees still leaving me 300 out. No worries, almost got up and down, settled for bogey. Even par. Now we get to the par 5 7th, toughest hole on the course. OK drive, but blocked me out from a real go at the green in 2. FOR SOME REASON, however, I tried to play a big hooking 3 wood that didn't workout. 3rd shot all I could do was punch it out. Facing a 50-60yd pitch, I left that short of the green, then fluffed my chip, then tried putting with hybrid and blew it to the back, 2-putt for an 8. That's usually a par hole for me. Pulled my drive again on the next hole, punched into a bunker, 2 shots out of the sand and one putt for bogey. Par 3 9th, shanked my tee shot, pitched on and three putt. After that it was birdie, par, par, par to finish.

Definitely think I've become too relaxed on the stretch from 5 through 9, as I shot the exact same on those holes a few days before. Taking 5 shots from within 60 yds really ticked me off, and I didn't listen to myself on the punch shot into the bunker. I knew I couldn't hook it enough standing against a tree to make the green, yet I still tried it.

I need to treat every shot with the attention it deserves, and listen to myself when I need to play safe or a recovery shot. I don't believe the thought of shooting under par is what got me, but it could have been. Think it's mostly about keeping focus, and not giving myself solid visualizations on those tough holes. Who knows though, not me or I would be scratch! Thanks for the encouragement.
the mind is a powerful tool. It takes a simple thought and derails your game. I am amazed that you were able to get out of the funk of five holes. Those were some bog numbers but you managed and that says a lot. It is so important to take one hole at a time especially in tournament golf. You seem to striking the ball well so keep it up.

Golf is a cruel game, brother. But, those 5 holes aren't the reason we keep coming back, it's the other 13. Nice rebound. Sometimes when it starts going downhill, its all we can do to just hang on. You did that. On to the next round!

I feel your pain I am not quite at your level but had the same "lapses" later in the year go out in 39-40 only to shoot 48-50 on back. Were you keeping up with fluids and food? I know I researched a bunch and if your blood sugar levels dropped you may have lost it for a while it is something to consider that I really never had before I got so mad I wanted to fix it. Great round and hope you good luck on the upcoming tournament.

Congrats, it sounds like at the very least you had a great round and can build on it

Back