How did you become a fan?

I still pull for the original TW, though mostly it's just in the British Open anymore. Became a fan in the early '70s as he was just on the way to becoming Kansas City's other sports franchise.

There's so many guys I enjoy watching and root for. My top 3 would have to be:
Bubba Watson - as well he's a lefty and I enjoy how he plays.
Anthony Kim - I enjoy watching him play and just always tend to root for him and seeing the golf clinic stuff he did with Tiger really made me like him more.
Ryo Ishikawa - I always tend to root for the Japanese guys but I really think Ryo has something special. I think if he can live up to his potential he'll do great for the game.

Tiger for bringing golf into my life, Phil for teaching me how to act both on and off the course, Seve for showing me that any shot is possible with enough imagination, and Erik Compton for never giving up no matter what obstacles are in your way.

I'm a fan of Rory because of his talent and we share a name but my number one has to be Jason Day. Don't know why, I just like the guy. Somewhere in that top three would be Choi. He seems like a nice guy and can play really well.

Greg Norman--Bigger than life. Had such a big game and yet he was always finding a new way to lose or someone would snatch the win from him. He would always pick himself up and keep going though.
Freddie--Everyone has already said what it is about him. He was just the coolest dude in sports.
Tiger--Simply put there has never been anyone like him to play this game. He is golfs Magic/Bird plus Jordan all rolled into one.

Mainly a fan of golf because of my dad. he took me out in my early teens and fell in love with the game. Loved playing rounds with my dad more than anything. After love of the game from that, started watching Jack in the 80's, especially remember the 86 Masters. enjoy watching Phil, Furyk and now DJ, Webb & Bubba.

Tiger - I'm not a fan of his off-course antics but i have to say that since i was a kid i've looked up to his abilities, strengths and weaknesses as a guides to help better my own game on course. I don't picture him as the golfer he is now but always the dominance I saw growing up.
Rory - He won me over after watching him at the masters, seeing what happened on his back 9 connected with me in the sense that it made it clear that he was human, and that he, even as a pro golfer, could be fragile. seeing him win at the open was amazing, and an experience i'll never forget (i had tickets to sunday's round, and was along the right side of the fairway, midway on 18)
Stevie Stricker - when i was younger, my grandfather was helping me with my swing and said if there's one person you want to imitate, it's stricker. little did he know that of all things i've taken from Steve, it's his demeanor and overall calmness that i've imitated most. he's the most non-chalant birdie machine i've ever seen. no matter how far you're up on the board, if he's 5 shots back, he'll be on your coattails while shooting pars and a birdie now and then, hardly ever an over the top loud roar of a charge like tiger. he just keeps pluggin along and gets it done.

i have to say between steve and kuchar, it was a tough 3rd choice.

This thread is really interesting. In my mind, I thought it would go kinda like -

Younger poster - fan of the successful, loud guys first and foremost.
Older poster - fan of the nice, kind, personable guys first.

I don't know if it has.

Ian Poulter - Like as he's an Arsenal fan (and the clothing range), dislike Luke Donald as is a Tottenham fan

Great topic !

My top 3..

1. Bubba Watson. I really like his quirks and humor that go perfectly with his homemade swing.

2. Dustin Johnson. Who doesn't love the long ball ?

3. Fred Couples. The classiest guy on tour in my opinion.

Used to love Greg Norman, like most Aussies, now i like Stuart Appleby (callaway sponsored) Adam Scott, Jason Day, Geoff Ogilvy and Aaron Baddely.

Freddie for his swing. Steve Stricker and Tom Lehman because of their family values.

TW Just loved watching him in his prime kick but every time out not so much any more but still fun to see him fight his way back up.
Steve Stricker just all around good guy + hes a CHEESEHEAD LOL....
Rory the young blood up and coming hope see more seems to have a good future....

Rory McIlroy - He was the first "next big thing" to hit the game in 2007 when I first started to really follow golf, so he'll probably always been one of my top favorites.

Adam Scott - Great ambassador for the game, does everything right and has one of the best looking swings while carrying himself properly on the course.

Luke Donald - Watched his Honda Classic win and though he was super cool with his Mizuno bag. Was big Mizuno baseball fan, so to see it in golf I thought that was like the coolest thing ever. So yes, I can say I was a Luke fan long before his 2011 breakout.

In no order
Rio - I just like how he plays the course and his putting is usually amazing
Tiger - His execution of his shots the confidance and just flat out attacks the course
Rory - He is exciting and has all the tools

Honorable old school mention Payne Stewart that swing are you kidding me that was poetry with a golf club if you havent seen it lately you tube. Plus the knickers in the local NFL colours. how could you not love him

Freddie for his swing. Steve Stricker and Tom Lehman because of their family values.

Played with Tom and his son about 4 years ago, he is a pros pro and all about his son! Great choice!

Played with Tom and his son about 4 years ago, he is a pros pro and all about his son! Great choice!
That is awesome...he comes across like a good guy whenever he's on tv.

For me, my fav golfers are: Steve Stricker, Jerry Kelly and Ai Miyazato.
I like Strick and Kelly because they are from Wisconsin. I gotta root for the Wisconsin boys.
In the case of Mitazato, I love her swing, I like her because shes from Japan plus shes super cute, which never hurts.

Well, I don't think number 1 will come as any surprise to anyone, but maybe the others will.

1. Ian Poulter
2. Miguel Angel Jiminez
3. Erik Compton

I admire Poulter because he is a great player with an "I can do anything" attitude on the golf course. He walks around like he owns the place, which I love. I also admire his style and flair.

The Mechanic is just the man. He always seems to be near the top of major leaderboards, and after his "off the wall" shot at the British 2 years ago, I thought he was an incredibly creative player. Plus, his cool demeanor screams "No Fear."

Compton because of what he has been through and where he has made it. After his 2 heart surgeries which he didn't know if he'd live through, he is now on the PGA Tour as a fully exempt member and so far has made 2/2 cuts this year. He is an inspiration to me

I cheer for guys and gals with character. I don't dig 'star attitude'.

Just off the top of me noggin: Bubba Watson, Tom Watson, Fred Couples, Steve Stricker, Tom Lehman, Kenny Perry......and there's more. Forgive me for not thinking of an LPGA member right now.

I really admire Ryan Moore as well.

I cheer for guys and gals with character. I don't dig 'star attitude'.

Just off the top of me noggin: Bubba Watson, Tom Watson, Fred Couples, Steve Stricker, Tom Lehman, Kenny Perry......and there's more. Forgive me for not thinking of an LPGA member right now.

I really admire Ryan Moore as well.

Moore is a super nice guy. I walked with him as a standard bearer at the 2009 BMW Championship. Actually, every guy I walked with that day in that particular group was in the PGA Tour's "Nice Guy" club. Bill Haas, Matt Kucher and Ryan Moore. Was a fun afternoon.

Tiger Woods - watching from his Amateur wins to turning pro. He captured my attention with his impressive record and all out play.
Notah Begay III - 1st Native American to win on the pro tour. Although, he doen't play much these days, it was great to see what he did.
Mike Weir - 1st Canadian to win a major. The Masters! A great duel in playoff with Mattice in '03. I hope he's going to RBC Canadian Open in Hamilton this summer. Would be awesome to see him playing in person. Missed him at St. George's G&CC in '10.

Mine are Tiger, Duval, and Tom Watson.

Tiger because he used to just flat out outwork everyone else and that's what champions do, he's still the best in my eyes and I have faith that he'll get it going strong because of his work ethic.

Duval because he's just like you and I, he deals with everyday life as we do. He just happens to be a great golfer. I had the opportunity to hang with him for a good while one day and we had some great long and in depth discussions about life, a little about golf, and a lot about fly fishing. I admire his drive to get the game back and I don't think he's far off, but he's human and I hope this storm he's in will pass and he can rise to the top 10 again.

Watson? because for me he has reached the pinnacles and valleys in life through good decision making and poor decision making, he carries himself with a great deal of humility. Sure he's a great golfer and still today outplays many much younger than himself, but he's a great human being, and to me that is very a very important ingredient in being a great champion. Love his swing.

I will always have some sort of allegiance to tiger as a fan for getting me interested in this great game.

I see, everyday, different people pulling for different PGA pros for what ever reason. I never inquire why, I just except that we all like different people for different reasons. What I want to know is this:
Who are you a fan of on tour, top 3. And the why? This is not a bash thread, I want to keep this about being a fan.
There is no wrong or silly reason, it's yours and I want to know.

My top 3 in not particular order are: Tiger Woods, Freddie Couples and Rory.
TW because I have been following him prior to his Amateur run when he came to the Biltmore for the Junior Orange Bowl. I have always been a fan of his style of play.
Freddie Couples, two words, Boom Boom. His run of World cups with DL 3 and his swagger on the golf course
Rory because he is a combination of the two above. Too much game not be a fan a swagger that will serve him well through out his career

My favs, current day, are TW, Rory and Hunter. TW because of his killer attitude one he used to have anyway. I also followed him since amateur days. Love Rory just for the go for it attitude and his cool demeanor on the course,except for the Master,s, ooops. Hunter, gotta be the most laid back golfer around, gotta check his pulse to see if he,s even alive. Yep these are my 3 but its always subject to change.

Back