Buick Invitational [spoilers imminent]

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I was reviewing the list of players in the field for this week's Buick Invitational and I was struck by the lack of compelling names.

Of the top 10 players in the world rankings, only Harrington and Mickelson will be teeing it up. And Lefty's play recently hasn't been at a level where I would expect him to compete for the title.

Players like Pat Perez and Charley Hoffman have respectable finishes early this season. But after two consecutive tournaments where the winner simply made the fewest mistakes, I'm having trouble getting excited about any of the names on the list.

Tiger (1) is out, Sergio (2) is absent, Vijay (5) is out, Stenson (6), Karlsson (7), Ogilvy (8), Perry (9), and Kim (10) are absent. Heck, even last year's Torrey Pines hero, Rocco Mediate, has pulled out because of a bad knee.

Villegas is scheduled to play, so the ladies should be happy. But I've never been a huge Camillo fan for whatever reason.

I'd like to see Hunter Mahan do well after his Ryder Cup success, so I suppose I'll root for him. Or maybe Brandt Snedecker just because he seems like a nice guy and I once played a round with a friend of his.

But so far, I just feel kinda meh about the prospect for a good tournament this week. And with the Pebble Beach side-show in line next week, that's just depressing.

Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong and there will be some great play this week.

Anyway, I was wondering who everyone else will be cheering for.

yeah... pretty weak field there! I'll watch for sure though...

I am not a Phil fan but I want to see him get back into form, it's only his second event so we'll see what happens but he has a history of winning early.

I think the field is a little weak as well, however we still have some big names. DLIII is always a fan favorite and JB Holmes is great to watch. Jesper and Freddy will hopefully go low as well.

I personally love watching Couples play... it's a shame his back has really ruined his career. As for DLIII, he had a surge at the end of the season last year, but prior to that you couldn't find his name on the map at all.

and to think this may be the last year buick sponsors a tournement

I am not a Phil fan but I want to see him get back into form, it's only his second event so we'll see what happens but he has a history of winning early.

I heard the announcers mention this last week, I don't see how it would matter. I mean he has been playing over in Europe for at least a couple of events. It seemed like they were going out of there way to make excuses for his poor play at the FBR. It's not like he was stuck in Alaska with no way to pick up his clubs.:confused2:

I think Ben Curtis will have a strong showing this weekend.

Villegas went low today.

Yeah, he looked strong today.
Spoiler
Lefty is struggling a little.

But Lefty (-2) played the South Course, where the lowest score was -3 (Scott Sterling and Matthew Goggin). He would have tied for the lowest score, but he bogied the 8th (his 17th hole.) And how about that driver off the deck on nine?

It cracks me up that they keep spotlighting Paddy on a week where he has weird band-aids all over his face. Bad timing.

Charley Hoffman's hole out from the sand was nice.

I think Phil is playing rather well. You are right about Paddy's bandaids. Looks like he tried to shave with a butter knife.

But Lefty (-2) played the South Course, where the lowest score was -3 (Scott Sterling and Matthew Goggin). He would have tied for the lowest score, but he bogied the 8th (his 17th hole.) And how about that driver off the deck on nine?

It cracks me up that they keep spotlighting Paddy on a week where he has weird band-aids all over his face. Bad timing.

Charley Hoffman's hole out from the sand was nice.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot they are playing on different courses.

Pat Perez's hole out from the sand was pretty nice too.

Retief Goosen using a belly putter.

Oy vey.

I personally love watching Couples play... it's a shame his back has really ruined his career.

I like him too. Just seems like he is always enjoying his time out there.

Thanks Harry. The funniest thing is that his tee shot was SOOO BAD before that one.

Thanks Harry. The funniest thing is that his tee shot was SOOO BAD before that one.

Same situation for Hoffman. He was hitting out of the sand for his third shot on a par 3.

Robert Garrigus uses the shortest putter ever.

The weather is not looking to good for Phil tomorrow. Its been raining hard here tonight and it is supposed to continue tomorrow.

Whats the deal with that putter Garrigus uses? It looks really funny.

Whats the deal with that putter Garrigus uses? It looks really funny.

It's only 28 inches long.

x250.jpg

I mean, it works for him. It just looks like he stole it out of some kids bag.
340x.jpg

I mean, it works for him. It just looks like he stole it out of some kids bag.

Oh--I'd wondered what had happened to The Kid's putter?

Oh--I'd wondered what had happened to The Kid's putter?

The tour is only a hour and a half away from me, you want me to go beat him up and take it back? :act-up:

The tour is only a hour and a half away from me, you want me to go beat him up and take it back? :act-up:

With the cameras rolling, please!

Back