Favorite Golf Movies...

Favorite Golf Movies...

• Total voters

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
What are your favorites?

of course everyone will have to have Caddyshack in their list somewhere but there a few classics out there.

1.) Caddyshack (pure comedy! - what did someone step on a duck?)
2.) The Greatest Game Ever Played (took place down the street from me, even though Even Stevens is in it it's not a bad flick)
3.) Legend of Bagger Vance - amazing movie
3.) A Gentlemans Game - a different type of golf movie

1) Tin Cup
2) Greatest Game Ever Played
3) Bobby Jones & The Stroke Of Genius

crap... totally forgot about Tin Cup

that is definitely in my list!

crap... totally forgot about Tin Cup

that is definitely in my list!

I love it because it is different, it's basically a bum with talent, and who is going nowhere in life. The rest of them are just about kids who have loads of talent and win it all.

Spoiler
He blew it, which made the ending amazing.

All of the above, and I'm looking for another:

Dead Solid Perfect

All of the above, and I'm looking for another:

Dead Solid Perfect

never heard of it... I'll have to check it out

oh crap!

HAPPY GILMORE!!!

That is probably on my list as well.

... happy, come on down

... shut it shooter!

happy_gilmore.jpeg

1. Caddyshack
2. The Greatest Game Ever Played(for editting value, despite inaccuracies)
3. Bobby Jones - Stroke Of Genius
4. The Legend of Bagger Vance
5. Happy Gilmore

What was Hogans accident?

he almost died in a brutal car accident... they said he wasn't going to live, then they said he'd never walk again, then they said he'd never play golf again...

the next year, with his legs taped, I believe he won the US Open

I'd have to put them up in this order:

1. Caddyshack
2. Happy Gilmore
3. The Greatest Game Ever Played
4. Tin Cup
5. Caddyshack II (due to being unable to remember another I've seen)

I have yet to see a golf movie that impressed me.

I think Tin Cup is the best of the bunch, but that isn't saying much.

Happy Gilmore is okay, but if it wasn't about golf I probably wouldn't think twice about it.

Caddyshack...meh. Maybe I've just seen it too many times or maybe it's just because I'm not a big fan of slapstick, but it doesn't really do anything for me. The scene with the Bishop is the best part.

I finally saw Dead Solid Perfect after hearing how great it was. I didn't agree. I thought it was kind of boring and not very funny.

The Greatest Game Ever Played was a Disneyfied version of real events. It changed significant events and that really annoyed me. Francis Ouimet and the 1913 U.S. Open is arguably the more dramatic and compelling event in golf history, if not sports history, and there is no reason to Hollywood it.

Bagger Vance. Oh please. Nice scenery as usual from Redford, but Damon and Smith are both miscast, the event and characters are historically inaccurate (Bobby Jones was a lifelong amateur - what was he doing playing for a $10,000 prize?) People treating African-Americans as if they were just as white as plaster walls. And everyone giving respect to a woman. IT just seemed like way too much fluff. And I won't even get into the "Magical Negro" aspect of it.

Bobby Jones - Stroke of Genius. I need to see this one again because I don't remember it that well. But I do remember liking the fact that Bobby Jones wasn't portrayed as a saint.

Happy Gilmore is okay, but if it wasn't about golf I probably wouldn't think twice about it.

Caddyshack...meh. Maybe I've just seen it too many times or maybe it's just because I'm not a big fan of slapstick, but it doesn't really do anything for me. The scene with the Bishop is the best part.

I finally saw Dead Solid Perfect after hearing how great it was. I didn't agree. I thought it was kind of boring and not very funny.

The Greatest Game Ever Played was a Disneyfied version of real events. It changed significant events and that really annoyed me. Francis Ouimet and the 1913 U.S. Open is arguably the more dramatic and compelling event in golf history, if not sports history, and there is no reason to Hollywood it.

Bagger Vance. Oh please. Nice scenery as usual from Redford, but Damon and Smith are both miscast, the event and characters are historically inaccurate (Bobby Jones was a lifelong amateur - what was he doing playing for a $10,000 prize?) People treating African-Americans as if they were just as white as plaster walls. And everyone giving respect to a woman. IT just seemed like way too much fluff. And I won't even get into the "Magical Negro" aspect of it.

Bobby Jones - Stroke of Genius. I need to see this one again because I don't remember it that well. But I do remember liking the fact that Bobby Jones wasn't portrayed as a saint.

I agree with you on this one Harry, Caddyshack really isn't that funny. It makes Golf look like a total lunatic sport. It really has nothing to do with golf in a way.

I agree with you on this one Harry, Caddyshack really isn't that funny. It makes Golf look like a total lunatic sport. It really has nothing to do with golf in a way.

hahahahaha you're all crazy!

hey, thats a nice hat... I bet you get a free bowl of soup with it. Oh, hey... yeah it looks good on you though!

classic movie, SO many one liners

hahahahaha you're all crazy!

hey, thats a nice hat... I bet you get a free bowl of soup with it. Oh, hey... yeah it looks good on you though!

classic movie, SO many one liners

They defiantly portrayed the typical rich CC member with that guy. That's for sure, I've seen tons of them.

I agree a little bit here. I liked Caddyshack, but did not think it was that funny. It was good not great IMHO.

judge smeals... hey, the world needs ditch diggers too you know

I've often though about becoming a golf club...

so in other words you spent all that time putting a post together saying you don't have a favorite golf movie, or even like any of them????

so in other words you spent all that time putting a post together saying you don't have a favorite golf movie, or even like any of them????

was thinking the same thing myself...

What was Hogans accident?

Read "The Match" by Mark Frost. It details the accident, along with a ton of other stuff.

The whole book revolves around a bet between Eddie Lowery (the kid from Greatest Game) and another fella (I forget names, and Sonic Wall is blocking the book title (freakin weird!))Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Ken Venturi & Harvie Ward played a 4 ball match that many claim to be the best match play ever.

Its a tuff call for me between Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore.
With lines like " You eat pieces of %$#* for breakfast?". It has to be right up there.

Pretty much, yep.

But I thought explaining why was better than simply saying "they all suck."

I'm still waiting for someone to make a really good golf movie.

Back