Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been said a lot here try to keep the ball in play. Don't take stupid penalties for hitting into trouble off the tee. If in doubt take a club you are sure you can hit into a safe area. Don't always try to power the ball to the green, accept that you simply can't make that distance and hit to a distance you are comfortable with. Try to eliminate the duff shot, slow the swing down and strike the ball well. Always try to hold the green from 100 yards and in. Don't get too obsessed with stats like FIR, GIR number of putts, chances are if your shooting over 100 these aren't going to be great and looking at stats too hard can just get you down, but at least keep track so you know where you need to improve.
and most importantly...
Practice practice practice. Your score won't go down all on it's own.
(tips from a guy working his way back down to a single digit handicap from starting over 100 after finding out that you cannot just come back after years away and shoot in the 70's again)

Lotsa good advice, here, all... :)

Started playing spring '11, shot a 99 in mid-Dec (45 on the back, par on 18 to break 100 -- woohoo!). Should've stopped year on high note, but had to play again and shot 116 hitting every iron superfat. :(

Looks like general principle is to play safe, hit clubs that I'm comfortable with... Which for me, right now is like driver and 8-iron and higher :p. Bogey golf seems so simple in theory, but I always pull out that 3 or 4 hybrid if I have anything over 180, and proceed to top it or slice it into the woods.

If I stayed away from penalties and expected 3 strokes to get to the green on a par-4, it seems like it'd be so easy... I'll try this next time. ;)

Guessing probably better to work on new/bad clubs at the range; always feel like I need to 'practice' with my 3/4hy, 5/6iron on the course to get better, but would probably be less frustrated and score better if I only hit really comfortable clubs.

Anyway, wish me luck. Might try to get out on Saturday (55 and sunny-ish!). Thanks for all the wisdom!

51+41 for a 92 today (tied my personal best rd). I'm pretty psyched about the 41 (which included 2 birdies), that's my best 9 ever! I think I'm close to consistently shooting in the 90s.

51+41 for a 92 today (tied my personal best rd). I'm pretty psyched about the 41 (which included 2 birdies), that's my best 9 ever! I think I'm close to consistently shooting in the 90s.

Nice job dude. Two birdies in 9 holes is awesome.

Great job, thats a really good round, congrats!

SOme great advice here. Which tee's do you hit from?

I started playing much better once I removed the score card from my cart! I really worked on my 7,8,9 Irons along with my 56* and started getting more pars. Playing the course and not the score card, having my buddies count the strokes and tell me the score at the end really eased my mind and let me focus on the shot in front of me!

Is there such a thing as a "safe" swing with the driver. It's the number one reason for the high scores. Irons, short game and putting are in great shape but I hit a couple fairways a round with the woods off the tee. Anything I can do to play it safe? Choke up grip, play ball closer to middle?

Try playing carefully enough that you do not lose a ball during a round. Hit whatever club you know you can hit and keep it safe on the fairway, whether that is a driver or a 7 iron, doesn't matter, just don't swing hard, swing smooth and keep the ball in play. On par 3s unless there is trouble you have to clear between you and the green take the club that you know will leave you with a ball in play somewhere. Same on par 5s. 3 hits with a 5 or a 6 iron will get almost anyone inside of 100 yards on even the longest par 5s. Keep it on the fairway. Practice driver or 3 wood at the range. I was told early on that if I could hit a 7 iron I could hit almost any club without too much trouble. A 7 iron is your best friend in the bag. Hit 7 irons until your hands hurt, until you can consistently hit the marker you are aiming at on the range or hit the practice green more often than you miss. Doesn't matter how far you hit the ball what matters most is how straight you hit it and how consistently you hit the ball the same distance every time. It does no good for your score if you are pounding a 7 iron 180 yards and it is 20 yards right after one swing and the next one is 150 yards and lands 20 yards left. Another good practice session is to play a practice round where you drop a ball at the 150 stake in the middle of the fairway and play every hole from there. Work on that one club that you can hit 150 (maybe your 7 iron?) then when you move back to the tee hit the club that gets you to that 150 yard marker off the tee and play it from there. You will be surprised how many times you will make par on par 4s by using that tactic, especially if you become really good with your 150 yard club. When you get good with a 150 start working on your 100 yard club and do the same thing, drop balls at 100 out and play every hole, make all of them a par 3 for one afternoon. Then when you go back to the tees to play a regular round if you play and not lose a single ball, not take any penalty strokes, not have a bunch of wasted 'trouble shots' out of the trees, no horrible lies, or at least not many bad lies, you will have a much better chance of breaking 100.

Is there such a thing as a "safe" swing with the driver. It's the number one reason for the high scores. Irons, short game and putting are in great shape but I hit a couple fairways a round with the woods off the tee. Anything I can do to play it safe? Choke up grip, play ball closer to middle?

I'm probably not the best to give advice, but I can tell you what I did to start hitting straighter. I started to play the ball right off of my left heel, really concentrated on keeping my left elbow next to my body during my swing, and really slowed up my swing to help from the face closing up on me.

It might take some practice but you can hit a stinger with a driver, just move the ball back a few inches from where you normally tee it up, take a neutral grip and choke down an inch or so, make sure on your takeaway that you are not fanning the clubface open going back from the ball, keep the back of your front hand facing forward as far into the back swing as possible without any contortions to keep it there, then when you get to the top just swing back and hit the ball, it should feel a little more like swinging a 5 iron than a driver. By keeping the club closed going back you have adjusted for the ball being a little back in your stance and it should take some loft off and come out lower and stay straight.

You could also just hit a hybrid.

Wow, kinda wish I had read this thread before I went out this afternoon.

Played my 5th round since Christmas (unheard of in KC in December and January), and shot my worst score in 3 years, a 126. I shot a 20(personal record) and lost 6 balls on one hole, 4 off the tee. Couldn't even keep my 3 iron in play, and it's my go to club off the tee when the driver isn't working.

Played my 5th round since Christmas (unheard of in KC in December and January), and shot my worst score in 3 years, a 126. I shot a 20(personal record) and lost 6 balls on one hole, 4 off the tee. Couldn't even keep my 3 iron in play, and it's my go to club off the tee when the driver isn't working.

well you get mad props from me for counting a hole that high,must have been really frustrating but hang in there

Nice job dude. Two birdies in 9 holes is awesome.
One birdie in 18 holes is pretty damn good for me! hahaha. I'll take them, but pars is what I am more interested in at this point.

Ouch! Where was this and which hole?

I played Shoal Creek. It was on 14. The narrowest hole and the course, and ironically, usually one of my best on that course. I played it 3 times last year and the worst I shot was a single. Oh well. I guess it could have been worse. Think I'm gonna put the clubs up again for another couple of months and then find a teacher and finally break down and take some lessons. Just have to figure out which teacher to see, as I'm not driving 45 minutes to an hour for a 45 minute lesson.

Ouch. Weve all been there before. Hope your next round is the comeback one.

I have noticed, that at least for me, the apex of my swing sometimes changes from round to round. What I do it take a few practice swings with the driver, or any club really, and look for the turf interaction. I will tee the ball based on where I am coming in contact with the grass. I am not an instructor by any means, but this seems to work for me.

So last month I played two 9 hole rounds the first was on a links style course with tall grass and water. I could not hit anything long, but I kept trying so it was a long day. I scored a 69 and it probably should have been higher than that, but I'm learning so I'm not a stickler for every rule. I lost about 6 balls and had like 5 or six completely wasted (less than 20 yards on a full swing) shots, so there is definite room for improvement if I can start keeping the ball in play and making somewhat solid contact. My short game was actually pretty good I only 3 putted twice and had two up and downs, unfortunately they were to save quad or something like that.

The second round was better off the tee it was a different feeling course (easier) wider fairways and shorter rough. I did not keep great track of fairways, but I was in the fairway or short rough a whole lot more. I hit the driver well but I really struggled hit the ball solidly off the deck with my mid and longer irons and fairway woods. I also struggled with pitch shots (40-60 yards I am baffled what to do) but I still chipped and putted fairly well. I scored a 60 and it felt a lot better.

I have been going to the driving range and practice area about once a week during my lunch hour and I can definitely feel the improvement with what I have been practicing. There is just so much to work on that it is defintely a two steps forward one step back feeling.

Today I really worked on the longer clubs off the deck 5 wood, 5 iron, 6 iron. And the feel of a 50 yard shot. It was good practice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a practice routine when you can go about one hour once a week? What is the best way to divide the time?

So last month I played two 9 hole rounds the first was on a links style course with tall grass and water. I could not hit anything long, but I kept trying so it was a long day. I scored a 69 and it probably should have been higher than that, but I'm learning so I'm not a stickler for every rule. I lost about 6 balls and had like 5 or six completely wasted (less than 20 yards on a full swing) shots, so there is definite room for improvement if I can start keeping the ball in play and making somewhat solid contact. My short game was actually pretty good I only 3 putted twice and had two up and downs, unfortunately they were to save quad or something like that.

The second round was better off the tee it was a different feeling course (easier) wider fairways and shorter rough. I did not keep great track of fairways, but I was in the fairway or short rough a whole lot more. I hit the driver well but I really struggled hit the ball solidly off the deck with my mid and longer irons and fairway woods. I also struggled with pitch shots (40-60 yards I am baffled what to do) but I still chipped and putted fairly well. I scored a 60 and it felt a lot better.

I have been going to the driving range and practice area about once a week during my lunch hour and I can definitely feel the improvement with what I have been practicing. There is just so much to work on that it is defintely a two steps forward one step back feeling.

Today I really worked on the longer clubs off the deck 5 wood, 5 iron, 6 iron. And the feel of a 50 yard shot. It was good practice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a practice routine when you can go about one hour once a week? What is the best way to divide the time?

Sounds to me like you're already on the way to a good practice routine. When I was first starting out, I would focus most of my time on what I struggled with most. Still do... From what you said, it's long clubs off the deck. You've already started on that. I'm not saying to ignore the other clubs, but focusing a good portion of your time on that is the only way to get better. It's also good to see that you're working on your short game.

Only other thing that I'll say, and nobody wants to hear this, is to consider dropping your driver and maybe your fairway woods until you become a more solid ball striker. Hitting a golf ball isn't easy. Reducing the variables helped me in the beginning. As you get a little better, start integrating woods into your game.

Of course, if you can afford them, by all means find a reputable instructor and go get lessons. I wish that I had done that before. It would have made learning the game so much easier.

Either way, good luck and hit 'em solid!

I've been playing serious for about a year. Had been shooting around 110 consistently. Was playing with old ping eye 2's. Bought some tm burners 2.0's and gained like two clubs. I've now broke 100 3 times and when I don't it's right over 100. 3 puts and a couple duffs per round are my score killers.

I broke 100 for the first time in a long time with my last round of 2011. Shot a 91 (needed a par to break 90...argh). Took an Ace to do it. But mostly I kept the ball in play off the tee and played smarter golf.

I'm reminded of what Hank Haney says: The way to play better golf is eliminate penatly shots, only one ship/pitch/sand shot to get on the green and no 3 putts.

I guess I need to man up as well and join this club. I have been playing for a little over a year (never swung a club prior) and am struggling with breaking 100. It always seems like I can never have all parts of my game going at the same time. If I have a round where I am driving the ball great, I can't put for crap, if I am putting great I am having trouble with gir. It's just frustrating!

I guess I need to man up as well and join this club. I have been playing for a little over a year (never swung a club prior) and am struggling with breaking 100. It always seems like I can never have all parts of my game going at the same time. If I have a round where I am driving the ball great, I can't put for crap, if I am putting great I am having trouble with gir. It's just frustrating!

Welcome to golf and to THP! :D As long as you're willing to put the time in, <100 is definitely an easily attainable goal. You've come to the right place though. A lot of good information here as well as some input from teaching professionals in the Ask the Pro forum.

As for putting; the great thing about short game in general is that you can practice at home. Sure carpet doesn't roll like a green, but you can putt and work on good mechanics anywhere. You can chip/pitch in the back yard. The more guesswork you can take out of it, the better. Good luck!

I got my first round of the year in this week, shooting an 83 on a par 65 course. I figure that'd be just under 100 or so on a regulation course, so I'm not too far off from where I ended last year. Three putts are killing me.

One interesting thing: I've been working on releasing my hands in the swing, which has added a lot of distance, but also thrown off my club selection. On the same hole last year I used a 5-wood to drive the green to 3' from the pin. This year I over shot the green, and the next tee box, by 50 yards. Oops.

I hope that getting my putting feel back, and developing my club distances will help me get consistently under 100 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back