Course Management - I'm Stuck

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Gang, I need some THP thoughts here. The last couple of rounds, the guys I've played with wanted to play the whites at our club. It's about 6,300 from there. Let me start off by saying I love to hit my driver. So from the whites, on the par 4's, I'm left with anywhere from 30yds-80yds 2nd shots to the green. One problem, the grass has gone dormant (Bermuda) and the greenskeeper, for reasons unknow to me, has scalped the fairways to the ground and around the greens. So it's really a 50/50 shot in getting a clean lie, that isn't wet (from the overnight sprinklers) and that you can actually take a semi divot with a wedge. If not, it's a chip and run shot or if you guess wrong, it's a 40yd chip that goes 20yds. Also hitting half shots instead of full shots.

What's the alternative? Not hitting driver off the tee and hitting something that will get me to about 100-110yds out. The smart thing to do, right? Well, by doing this, you bring more trouble into play on the course. More trees with tighter fairways. A little bit off one way or the other and you're punching a shot out in hopes of running it up to the green. But in the fairway, the ground has more give and you are taking full shots.

So let me ask you THP'ers, given the situation and course conditions mentioned above, what would you perfer? Driver/50yrd shots on dormant grass or 4iron/hybrid with 100yds but bringing more trouble into play? Should I just go out and practice those 50yrd shots to figure out what the ground is given me? Call me stuck.

Myself, hit the hybrid and hit the 100 yard shot. Hitting a driver and a 50 yard shot is kind of boring. You could also just tee it up from the back. Your buds won't care most likely.

Nate,

Not too easy to answer not knowing how well you hit 4I/rescue. These are obviously short par 4s if you only at the moment have 30-80 yds left.

It really sounds like you are not too confident with short game from tight lies but do seem confident with driver on these holes. The smart play if your tight lie short game is suspect is shorter off the tee, but not at the expense of landing in fairway trouble which might ultimately mean you then miss the green anyway from further back. If that is what is going to happen then there is little point in doing it.

Personally I would get my short game better for those shots that are causing issues and continue to play my 'banker' club from the tee.

I think you will get far more benefit from getting better at the shorter shots because if you play shorter off the tee and not practice the problem shots you will still be crap at those shorter ones.

Nate, I think this is a perfect opp. to work on your iron game. Leave the big stick in the bag and get cracking on the long and mid irons. But we will not be playing the whites next Monday

Nate, I think this is a perfect opp. to work on your iron game. Leave the big stick in the bag and get cracking on the long and mid irons. But we will not be playing the whites next Monday

I agree with this. It could be a blessing in disguise. If it doesn't work, just start using the driver again. Not much harm in trying.

Should I just go out and practice those 50yrd shots to figure out what the ground is given me?

This. You have to learn to play the course and conditions and shots as they are, not just the conditions you like. Plus, learning 40-60 yard shots is a great way to improve your overall game. There will be many instances when you have a 50 yard shot, not just when you play from the forward tees. I used to hate them myself, I would have much rather been 90 yards than 50. After having played them and getting better at them, I don't mind them at all. I would much rather have a knock down, punch LW than a full SW. When you learn how to hit clubs 1/2 and 3/4 to a variety of distances, you essentially triple your club count and you're not breaking the rules.

That's not to say you have to do it all the time. I am big on playing for position off the tee and having a comfortable yardage for approach. Another great way to practice while you play. Both scenarios will benefit in the long run, but I think if you start avoiding shots based on the current course conditions and length, you're not doing a full service to you overall game and improvement.

Nate,

Not too easy to answer not knowing how well you hit 4I/rescue. These are obviously short par 4s if you only at the moment have 30-80 yds left.

It really sounds like you are not too confident with short game from tight lies but do seem confident with driver on these holes. The smart play if your tight lie short game is suspect is shorter off the tee, but not at the expense of landing in fairway trouble which might ultimately mean you then miss the green anyway from further back. If that is what is going to happen then there is little point in doing it.

Personally I would get my short game better for those shots that are causing issues and continue to play my 'banker' club from the tee.

I think you will get far more benefit from getting better at the shorter shots because if you play shorter off the tee and not practice the problem shots you will still be crap at those shorter ones.

I agree. I would work hard on the short game.

Nate. I would take this time of the year to work on clubs you might not hit that often. Hit the hybrids or long irons off the tee and leave yourself 100 - 150 yds into the greens.

Good info guys...things I need to think about, but short game work is in the cards.

Nate, I have a similar problem when playing certain courses with my group. I used to always just grab the driver and play the 20 to 60y shot. The problem I had is it was boring golf. I went back to playing for the yardages I would normally hit into hloes and pin positions. It made the game a lot more enjoyable to me. I do like the idea of working on the short game, but I am there for the fun.

Personally, as long as you can keep the driver in the short grass, Id much rathar have a 40 yard pitch/chip over a 100 yard wedge shot. Ive always prided myself on a pretty good short game though, so short shots like that around the green dont scare me.

I have a group of friends that are the same way....guys in their 30's and 40's that are 10-15 handicappers that insist on playing the white tees..at my home course that's about 6000 yards give or take....today after hitting driver I was 47 out once, 54 out, 57 out and 68 out on 4 of the par 4's....I look at it as a good chance to work my short game, but I prefer to play the blue tees which are about 6600 yards.

you could also just let them play from the tees they want and you play from the blues. The group I play with we do that all the time. You play to your handi cap. Just remember for big hitters its always harder to play from the short tees. Great opportunity like others have said to change your game up. Play the hybrid and long irons, and rip up the short game.

Keep bustin driver. Grind the bounce off the heel of your wedge, open it up a tad and practice practice practice until you get good at the 50 yard hardpan shot. imo

This exact situation happened today at my course. One of the young stronger players joined us and we decided to play the senior tees. About the 17th hole he said "man I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, playing from the shorter tees". He then said if anything it was harder. Nate learn how to hit those short shots really well and you can play anywhere.

I would split the round in half. Take the driver on half of the holes and work on the short game and for the rest of the round take the 4i/hybrid and work on the 100-110 range. I hate missing the green from 120 or closer!

I would split the round in half. Take the driver on half of the holes and work on the short game and for the rest of the round take the 4i/hybrid and work on the 100-110 range. I hate missing the green from 120 or closer!

Maybe even thirds. 6 to play to the 100-110 yard range, driver to short distances, and whatever club you would hit to get to the distance you would normally play the hole (if you hit from you regular tees). This should work your entire bag.

Nate, I suggest giving a wedge with multiple bounce a shot, Nike or SCOR. They really do minimize the effects of lies. I'm only saying this because I have seen how nice it is to hit my wedges like irons and not pamper them in fear I may fat or thin one.

I would say if you are not playing a competitive round to go the driver route. It will help practice accuracy with it plus practice with those with akward half wedges

Tappin!

Nate, I suggest giving a wedge with multiple bounce a shot, Nike or SCOR. They really do minimize the effects of lies. I'm only saying this because I have seen how nice it is to hit my wedges like irons and not pamper them in fear I may fat or thin one.

What kind of Nike wedges are you talking about

Tappin!

Interesting...how does the scor wedge differ to the Vokey wedges?

Hands in front, and hit little knockdowns. Takes the bounce out of it. Skip and a hop, and down they sit if you have good grooves.

Kevin

Nate, don't you have a Texas wedge? Bomb the driver.

In my opinion, I would go for a practice round and give both situations a try before you go out with your buds. Try out driver off of some tee's and 4i/hybrid off of others, see which one works best for you and run with it. Or you could just go back and play your tee's, I don't think they would mind all that much.

Interesting...how does the scor wedge differ to the Vokey wedges?

Check out the Scor thread or Scor Website. The soles have a Vsole or dual bounce setup. SO they play like a high bounce or low bounce wedge, depends on what is needed.

You can also check out the Eidolon wedges, previous wedge design from the same people. They can be grabbed at a nice price if you can still find the lofts youa re looking for.

Back