Puma and Synthetic Leather

Grinder

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Puma is new to the Golf Industry. They have some snazzy looking products and a strong Pro, Rickie Fowler, promoting them.

However, Nearly every Shoe product they offer is not made of real leather. Most of the Shoes for around $100 to $150 are made of "Synthetic Leather".

Why? I feel this is a ripoff for the price. Would any of you spend $150 on "Fake Leather"? Do they think we don't realize this?

Hmmm.
Im not sure that is correct though. For instance their Cell Fusion. Right from the tech sheet.

High quality waterproof full-grain leather upper

While some of their shoes feature Gor-Tex rather than leather due to what they are going after, I dont think they are trying to "pull one over on the consumer" in this case.

I think they make quality products and use a wide range of materials you just gotta find the model which suits you, not their biggest fan as they don't fit my feet too well mind you!

1-29-2012

The Golf Warehouse offers the following Puma Golf Shoes that are "Synthetic Leather": 1) Puma Jig, 2) Puma 917 Collection 3) Puma Ace 4) Puma Roma 5) Puma Cell Fusion 2 (This shoe Retails for $180).

The Golf Warehouse offers the following Puma Golf Shoes Made of "Leather": 1) Puma Cell Fusion. Period.

I realize this is only one Retailer and some of these shoes are not Premium, however, most of the other companies offer a similar priced Option made of Real Genuine Leather!

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time, I think you are missing what I am saying. Just because they state "synthetic" does not make them inferior. Its a preference the company has chosen based on the technology that they are looking to put into the shoe. Just like a full Gor-Tex shoe, a full mesh shoe, or anything else. Some of it is durability. Some of it is waterproofing. Some of it of course is cost depending on the model.

If what you are looking for is a 100% leather shoe, there are hundreds of models to choose from, just as there are in the synthetic market for those looking for something else.

Your Point is well taken.

In the older days Foot Joy and other Companies would make their most inexpensive shoes of "Synthetic Leather". Apparently, this allowed them to hold down the price because they were less costly to manufacture.

The Canvas Shoes may breath better in Warmer Climates. I actually like the Dawgs Rubber shoes for hot/dry days as well. I never play in snow, so I really do not need Golf Shoes for the Arctic Climates.

Puma seems to manufacture a number of models that Look Like genuine leather, however, are made with synthetics. These models do not look like canvas, mesh or rubber. They look like leather.

This may be a new generation. If So, Puma may want to tell us why these synthetic models are superior. Do they Breath better? Do they not Crack? Do they Keep us Dry in Monsoons?

Until then. "Genuine Leather" will remain the Gold Standard in my Book.

Last edited:
If that's what you like, there are plenty of shoes on the market. Most synthetic leathers are more durable and have a few other advantages, along with real leather having their advantages as well.

I am sure Rickey wears the "Cell Fusion" Model that is most likely an outstanding product. Puma is doing a fantastic job Marketing their "New Generation" attitude.

I only hope the average consumer isn't being sold the ole "Bait and Switch". I also hope Puma's "Synthetic Leather" has more benefits than the obvious. Synthetic Leather is less expensive to manufacture, therefore the Company makes a larger profit margin off the "Everyday Consumer".

Hey, Ricky wears them. However, his are "Leather"...

The pair we bought our daughter were far inferior to the adidas "Paula" shoes she gamed prior. They looked like crap not long after she started wearing them. They were the men's version of the Jigg or Jiggs. She hates most women's shoes because she says the rear heal is too low, and thought these "looked cool". Not for long, unfortunately.

Kevin

Back