anotherday

Reaction score
I was watching golf this weekend (as I do most weekends) and noticed that there were fairways that were half one color and half another. Is this simply a different pattern of mowing, similar to the cross-hatched patterns in other course's fairways? Is it different grass? Rough?

I'm thinking it is just a different mowing pattern, but I thought it was interesting. I'm assuming it is also more of a aesthetic addition that the TV viewers pay more attention to than the players.. right?

Thanks in advance!

Mowing pattern. It's the way the sun is reflecting off the grain flow of the grass that gives it that differentiation in colour.

Baseball fields do a similar thing to have different patterns or designs.

The lighter side is down grain and the darker is into the grain.

Thanks for adding that Tad. Something I probably should have included.

Thanks for adding that Tad. Something I probably should have included.

I knew what you were saying just added a little something on the end

Mowing pattern. It's the way the sun is reflecting off the grain flow of the grass that gives it that differentiation in colour.

Baseball fields do a similar thing to have different patterns or designs.
Yep...and pretty interesting how they can change it up a bit at the local course with mowing different directions each time they mow.

didn't i hear somewhere that during the masters they mow the entire fairway TOWARDS the tee box so as to limit roll distances?

ha that wouldn't surprise me, which is interesting to think about how much that could give/take from the players distance?

They should try different colors. It'd be cool hitting off of Boise State type grass.

They should try different colors. It'd be cool hitting off of Boise State type grass.

I think I would turn off my tv.

used to do the same when i worked at a golf course back in college...different patterns each time you mow the fairways.
not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it makes for a better cut of the grass...so you're not always mowing and rolling the same direction.

didn't i hear somewhere that during the masters they mow the entire fairway TOWARDS the tee box so as to limit roll distances?

I have heard that they do that as well.

Anyone know if there is a reason that more tournament courses have gone from alternating upgrain/downgrain stripes the width of the mower to the split down the middle where one whole side is into the grain and the other is down grain. Is it cosmetic for TV, is it to give the players a center target line, or is there actually a benefit to the grass. Seems like over the past couple of years, more and more tournament venues seem to have that particular mowing pattern.

Living in Idaho, I'm surprised no course has done this yet...:D

That is pretty interesting.. I never thought that it would have any significant affect on the shot.. Especially on the fairways. Thanks for the answers.

Tappin..

Back