TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

That's awesome OG. Thats weird you weren't seeing a higher flight, my 4 iron yesterday just seemed to rise up forever! Funny how different swings lead to different things! Nonetheless seems like this 4i is a great club for you sir!

Good stuff OG! I didn't get a high ball flight yesterday either. The irons had a very penetrating flight that seemed to keep climbing until very far away, but never ballooning on me. I like the way you're going about breaking the clubs apart, and you play enough it should work out really well. I don't do too well with normal grips either and within the next few weeks I plan to get them fit and build the grips up a bit. Great first day!

Good stuff OG! Man, I'm 2 days out from playing and I already feel behind. LOL!

Good stuff OG! Man, I'm 2 days out from playing and I already feel behind. LOL!

You'll get em this weekend Nate. As for that rain I mentioned earlier, well, it's pouring out. Hopefully I can still get out Saturday or Sunday morning.

I should mention I'll probably be changing the grips as well. I may go to a midsize to relieve some of the pressure off my (bad) knuckles. These aren't bad grips, just wouldn't be my #1 choice. I should also mention that I traditionally hit the ball very high, so that may be why I'm seeing such a higher flight than these guys.

Nice write up OG! I definitely believe you about the 4 iron being more like a hybrid as I could tell that from the sound in the video in addition to the mid boring ball flight you had. Perfect for off the tee on those par 4's where you are laying up to a number, etc. Great start buddy!

Wow great start testers, I liked the sound of that 4 iron, reminds me of a hybrid. I know what ya mean OG about smaller grips being uncomfortable.

Really cool to read all the info and have a look at the videos/pictures. Great work!

Can I ask if any of you have hit the Burner 2.0 irons and if so how you would say they compare please?

Thanks very much!

dmccrum -- I have only hit the 2.0 irons a couple of times so my comparison would not be too accurate. Maybe one of the other testers can give you an idea about how the two sets compare.

OG shot a 37 using his 4iron exclusively off the tee? that's pretty impressive in itself.

They did sound good. What kind of distance were you seeing out of that 4iron?

TC - I did not have my GPS with me today so I would be guessing. I promise it will be in the bag from hence forth. I hit some really long shots with the 4i that exceeded 200 yds. That's based on strickly local course knowledge.

Nice video KB. Sounded crisp off the tee nice flight. OG do you think the 4Iron looks and hits more like a hybrid?

Good question and yes I do compare it to a hybrid type club both off a tee and the deck. The 4 & 5 just ask you to step up and belt the ball and trust me, it gets out of here in a hurry!

Ole Gray that sounded like a driver when hitting the 4 iron, i don't know if it echoed due to the trees but it sounded good! Love the draw also! When you don't connect flush does it still get it out there for you?

barry -- I did miss a couple of shots out on the toe and the thing almost looked like it self corrected! I found the ball in the fairway with marginal distance loss. More to come on that as I get more playing time in.

What a nice start, OG. That 4i sounded beastly and seemingly performed exceptionally for you.

I just spent over an hour reading this thread, I am impressed with the great start you testers are off to. I am subscribing to this thread and look forward to reading and watching your updates. A special shout out to my friend Ole Gray, I was really impressed with your opening shots video as well as the unboxing vid, keep up the good work buddy.

What a nice start, OG. That 4i sounded beastly and seemingly performed exceptionally for you.

Thanks Nate and yep, this dawg will hunt for sure. If anyone is looking for some power and accuracy off the tee, you might want to give the RBZ long irons a shot.

Gray, you are going to be tearing it up tomorrow!

I just spent over an hour reading this thread, I am impressed with the great start you testers are off to. I am subscribing to this thread and look forward to reading and watching your updates. A special shout out to my friend Ole Gray, I was really impressed with your opening shots video as well as the unboxing vid, keep up the good work buddy.

Dawg you know how much I appreciate your support as all the testers do. You are a special friend of mine and take care of that sweet wife :in-love:.

Gray, you are going to be tearing it up tomorrow!

Yea buddy the RBZ train will be headed up to Peachtree City tomorrow. You guys are more than welcome to whack away with these beautiful irons and see what ya think :blob:

First time out with the new sticks

First time out with the new sticks

2/1/12
Range Session #1
Lonnie Poole Range
Raleigh, NC
70* 5-10mph wind from R-> L and in

About Me:
I’m probably the highest capper of the group. On good days I play in the 90s and on the bad days, slightly higher. I love golf, probably too much, so I have taken it more serious of late and started lessons. Let me say that if you have never had a lesson and struggle, don’t wait a minute longer. Go take lessons. I had some at my local course that were great but then I went to my local golf retailer that will do video and send you the highlights and drills to work on, and these are amazing. I have figured more things in my few hours of lessons than many hours of research and reading.

My current irons are Adams CB2’s from 5-PW. I have an on again, off again relationship with these clubs. These guys probably belong in the hands of a better player than myself but when I hit that rhythm these are awesome. For a high handicapper like myself they just don’t provide enough forgiveness. I have been too stubborn to buy SGI clubs, or more forgiving GI irons, and that has been stupid of me. I definitely think I could have been playing more consistent golf if I had a different attitude at the golf store. With my few lessons though, I am really close to doing these irons justice. I am definitely going to hold onto them and monitor my improvement.

Initial Thoughts on the RBZ’s:
If you think of a player’s iron as a sexy sports car, the RBZ’s are good looking in a big loaded up SUV or like a really cool off road rally car. They are nice to look at and rugged. They are also substantial in size. The club heads feel bigger than my previous irons. There is a nice progression through the set. I see some of you have questioned this progression, but this is something that I have been looking forward to. I love that the longer irons are a hybrid like iron, this inspires a lot of confidence standing over them. I tend to struggle with these, like many. The whole set blends nicely into one another. The coloring, badges, grips all come together for a nice little package.

The length and weight of the shafts was very similar to what I what playing before so this was not a significant change for me. I’m not sure if I will need to have the lie angles adjusted or not, things seemed okay today.

Performance on the Range:
I had to hit from the mats today. I wasn’t sure how long I would last as I have been sick. I wanted to work through the entire set so I decided to start with the AW and work my way up. I hit at least 5 balls with every club. I won’t go shot for shot, but I will say that from the very beginning I could hit these solidly. These things are packed with forgiveness as even shots a little low on the face produced a nice high ball flight. Heel to toe forgiveness is pretty good to. I didn’t see a major loss in distance anywhere when contact was not dead center.

I made it all the way through the set and was nice and loosened up. There were still quite a few balls left and I went back through the 4,5,6,8, and 9 irons hitting a few more balls and was getting solid results from all. More than pleased with each iron. It’s more of an estimate than fact but I have to say that I was getting at least 10-15 yards more distance than my CB2’s. This was more consistent after loosening up a bit. Mishits were more of a push than anything else, but a slight hook would creep in rarely. The ball flight was mostly high long and straight, occasionally a slight draw. I will do some actual comparisons to my previous set in my upcoming sessions.

I will likely get one more session in in the next couple of days and then put them into play on Sunday.

Overall 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Impression:
The looks of these irons may turn people off as it is not traditional at all. However, the technology and forgiveness that is packed into this iron set will make you feel more confident over the ball and right now I’m thinking that these are going to be game changers for me on the course. I think the long hybrid like irons and I are going to get along just fine and I won’t hesitate at all to pull that 4 iron.

Gray, I have some RBZ balls in my bag also, if you want to try the combo. I will also have my camera and we can get some videos done for you.

Frank good work my fellow tester and I like the comparison you gave of the RBZ irons to a SUV or really cool off road rally car.:clapp: They have some junk in the trunk and don't mind making a serious thump when whacking a golf ball!

Gray, I have some RBZ balls in my bag also, if you want to try the combo. I will also have my camera and we can get some videos done for you.

Hot dog! Rocket ballz irons hitting Rocket ballz balls :bulgy-eyes: :blob:. How cool is that gonna be :golf2:!

Frank good work my fellow tester and I like the comparison you gave of the RBZ irons to a SUV or really cool off road rally car.:clapp: They have some junk in the trunk and don't mind making a serious thump when whacking a golf ball!

I just about spit my wine all over the computer screen. OG, you sir, are amazing.

Frank - great writeup! I can see these irons in a lot of bags come this summer...forgiveness head-to-toe, and a high straight ball flight? Who wouldn't want that?

As someone who doesn't always hit dead in the middle of the sweet spot I need all the help I can get. My initial impression is that these irons have it. They also offer great feedback on the shots. I didn't mention that in the write up but solid shots feel great. I really have no comments on sound. It must have been pleasant as I really didn't notice it.

I just about spit my wine all over the computer screen. OG, you sir, are amazing.

Frank - great writeup! I can see these irons in a lot of bags come this summer...forgiveness head-to-toe, and a high straight ball flight? Who wouldn't want that?

Great updates OG and Frank. OG--KellyBo has no chance of getting these irons away from you does she?

Are you sure you don't mean Awesome? lol

FrankA, great first impressions from your range session, look forward to reading more from you.

Frank, you were at Lonnie Pool and didn't tell me?!?!?! I live 2 minutes away! Heh, anyways I went to Knights Play Par 3 course tonight. It was a lot colder than I was expecting and the wind was howling. I'll post a few more details once I finish this job stuff and get warmed back up, but let's just say the 4i and GW are already money clubs in my bag. I'm super happy so far. More to come..

Great stuff, folks. Frank, that was a really nice, detailed write-up.

Just a great thread already.

Steel Tappin'

I hit the 4 iron twice today on the par 3 course.

1st shot - 198 yards to middle of green, pin in the back, wind directly in my face (10-12 mph constant). Hit an absolute bullet that just sliced through the air, a few yards of fade and landed on the green. Took one big hop and came to a stop. Left me 25 feet or so, but was a tough shot.

2nd shot - 216 yards to the middle, pin in the middle to the right. Wind was from left to right, so I aimed at the left side of the green and threw a dart at the flag. I hit this one straight, but the wind carried it right to the pin and it again took another big hop, and this time released out about 5 feet. It was all over the hole after the bounce, but just ran right by it. I ended up with about a 10 footer coming back at the hole for birdie, which I made.

Overall, this club might not be the best looking 4 iron around, but it absolutely launches balls with ease. It's so easy to hit, I love it.

On another note, I'm not sure what it is exactly about these grips but they're rubbing my hands the wrong way. May have to switch to some softer midsized grips soon.

Back