TaylorMade Releases RocketBallz RBZ Rescue & Fairway Wood

Yes, I'm drinking the Kool-aid from what I'm hearing on tour, but I really want to try these fairway woods. 2 stories from the tour, off of Twitter. Yes, I realize both of these guys are TM staffers, but they are interesting. First is from Dustin Johnson via Steve Dimeglio, golf writer for USA Today:
@sdimegUSATgolf Dustin Johnson hit RBZ 3-wood. Flew it 310 (said too far) So he dropped loft from 15 degree to 17. A 4-wood is his 3-wood Lost no distance. (from his old 3-wood)

Second post is from Joe Ogilvie's Twitter feed, after he tested the RBZ fairway woods out. He put the 3-wood and 5-wood in his bag.
@ogilviej Trackman numbers: TM 13 degree burner 3wd: 251 yds carry, 269 yds total TM Rocketballz 14.5 degree 3wd: 265yds carry 291 yds total

My concern with the RBZ line is too much distance. I want a 3W I can hit straight and control - hitting a 3W as far as my driver leaves me with a huge distance gap between my 3W and 3I. I'm leaning towards the Titleist 910F, but I will hit the RBZ 17* 4WD and the Mashie before deciding.

lol I've never had the too much distance problem. I noticed in an Edwin watts flier that they have RBZ, a RBZ Tour and a RBZ tour TP.

Beast mode from tapatalk

lol I've never had the too much distance problem. I noticed in an Edwin watts flier that they have RBZ, a RBZ Tour and a RBZ tour TP.

Beast mode from tapatalk
The Tour and TP are the same heads... I think the TP has upgraded shaft options... not sure if its worth the $100.

I noticed that as well with the tour and tour TP. I was thinking maybe stock shaft with tour head vs. upgraded shaft and tour hear. What ever it is I'm getting a hybrid and FW tomorrow night.

Beast mode from tapatalk

I noticed that as well with the tour and tour TP. I was thinking maybe stock shaft with tour head vs. upgraded shaft and tour hear. What ever it is I'm getting a hybrid and FW tomorrow night.

LOL....I love how you're already committed.

I hit the fairway and it was quite nice. I imagine the hybrid is the same.

Edit: Didn't you pre-order as well? I have a hat too. I'm a RBZ homer, dammit.

LOL....I love how you're already committed.

My concern with the RBZ line is too much distance. I want a 3W I can hit straight and control - hitting a 3W as far as my driver leaves me with a huge distance gap between my 3W and 3I. I'm leaning towards the Titleist 910F, but I will hit the RBZ 17* 4WD and the Mashie before deciding.

If I could get my current 3-wood distance (about ~230 off of the tee) with a 17 degree fairway wood and have more confidence with it off of the deck, I'd be really happy. That's probably what I'm going to test out in the spring or early summer.

The Stock shaft is the Matrix XCon 7, while the upgraded shaft is the Matrix Rul 70. Both seem like quality options - so seems hard to justify the additional $100 charge.

So here is what I am thinking. I currently have a $200 golfsmith card and I am going to add a RocketBallz Hybrid. I have never hit my 3-wood well, but do enjoy my Adams 3H. I currently hit my driver 260, and my hybrid 220. That is a huge gap that currently isn't being covered by my 3-wood since, well, I don't hit it at all really. With what seems like a large increase in distance gained with these clubs - what do you all think about getting the Tour TP 2 Hybrid at 16.5 degrees as a replacement for the 3-wood. I would love to have a club that I can hit in any type of lie that covers the gap in between my Driver & 3H, and it sounds like this could be the one.

Also - what are everyones thoughts about the shaft offerings (anyone have the full list)? On the Golfsmith website it says the Tour offerings aren't available until March 15th - is that correct? If so it looks like I may have to wait a while since the 2H isn't available in the regular rescue it seems.

Any insight at all is greatly appreciated!

So I take my normal lunch hour at the golf course today and when I walked in , the beast was waiting for me. ROCKETBALLZ! I immediately take the plastic off of it and walk straight to the range. Didn't warm up , put a tee in the ground , placed the Taylormade range ball on it and swing away! A nice piercing medium height draw that landed on the backside of the 250 yd green. I won't talk about the following 5 swings because I then tried to hit it about 450 yards to no avail. After I got my swing tempo back the ball was taking off the club like a rocket. Very impressed by the sound and the ball flight! I hit my old 3 wood ( Cleveland FL 3 wood ) 230-235. So first thought was I gained every bit of 20 yards. Looking forward to playing tomorrow!
attachment

These things are long... Did not care for the sound. Did I mention long. Serious ponder here

The Stock shaft is the Matrix XCon 7, while the upgraded shaft is the Matrix Rul 70. Both seem like quality options - so seems hard to justify the additional $100 charge.

Except that the RUL is a $300 shaft, so maybe it's not a terrible deal to get it in the TP version.

Sent from my forged iPad

I like the RBZ FW, I really do. I think it has good distance, decent sound and lots of technology. However why am I the only person on the entire internet that is not hitting it 250. Well me and Brian Gay (who plays one right now). Im stumped with the fact that every guy that tries it out is hitting it 250 and 20 yards passed all the other FW woods. I have been playing this thing for 2 months now and have tested it in person with 37 golfers. Most really like the club, but in person with a launch monitor or GPS, nobody has even sniffed 250, let alone picking up 20 yards vs others on the market.

I have seen someone pick up 11 yards or so(that was mward on the forum) and I have seen quite a few people pick up 3-7 yards (me included). But I have yet to see someone gain these incredible distances. I think THP needs to hit the road and go all over the country to see these incredible feats.

As I said, this is not a knock on the club, because I like it quite a bit and have seen distance gains by slightly more than half that have tried it out, but I have a feeling I am the only guy on the internet sometimes that is using actual yards or I am alone on an island as the only guy that can't hit a 3 wood 250 regularly (along with every guy we have tested this with). Who knows for sure, but color me intrigued.

I'm incredibly pumped to go try this 14 hours from now. It will be primarily sim / LM, but I can maybe sneak onto the range and see some real ball flight. Then after that the weather will permit 27 on the course :)

I like the RBZ FW, I really do. I think it has good distance, decent sound and lots of technology. However why am I the only person on the entire internet that is not hitting it 250. Well me and Brian Gay (who plays one right now). Im stumped with the fact that every guy that tries it out is hitting it 250 and 20 yards passed all the other FW woods. I have been playing this thing for 2 months now and have tested it in person with 37 golfers. Most really like the club, but in person with a launch monitor or GPS, nobody has even sniffed 250, let alone picking up 20 yards vs others on the market.

I have seen someone pick up 11 yards or so(that was mward on the forum) and I have seen quite a few people pick up 3-7 yards (me included). But I have yet to see someone gain these incredible distances. I think THP needs to hit the road and go all over the country to see these incredible feats.

As I said, this is not a knock on the club, because I like it quite a bit and have seen distance gains by slightly more than half that have tried it out, but I have a feeling I am the only guy on the internet sometimes that is using actual yards or I am alone on an island as the only guy that can't hit a 3 wood 250 regularly (along with every guy we have tested this with). Who knows for sure, but color me intrigued.
I like the RBZ 3W, it has a great feel, but I dont believe itis the longest fairway wood I have ever hit. While it was only on the range with them, but I believe I was seeing more distance out of the J40 3W.

I was getting 10-15 yards more which is still shy of 250. The core work outs will help that though.

JB brings everything back down to reality and backs it up with solid testing. I love it. I was a little skeptical about all of the claims and all of the videos. I am still intrigued by the 3w and will definitely hit it when I have the chance, but I don't expect to hit it 250+.

I'm expecting at least 260.

Sent from my forged iPad

I'm expecting at least 260.

Sent from my forged iPad

Yes. That gets me pumped up or dare I say AMP'ed. Oops wrong thread.

You need to yell pow or do some hardcore grunting as you hit it. It helps I hear.

I tried the driver and it didn't give me anything i dint already have. I like the Adams Fast12 much better. Looked at the TM RBZ 3 FW yesterday and it looked awesome at address. However I did not hit it and was skeptical of the monster yardage claims. Thanks JB for keeping it real.

If I can 7 to 10 yardage more that would huge for me and it most likely go in the bag. I wonder what TMs testing group was comprised of...other Dusting Johnsons? My guy at the golf store was even questioning the distance claims.
TapAhoy!

Was at the RBZ launch @ Golf Galaxy last night with some friends (after drinking at the bar of course) and got to spend some time with the RBZ 3 hybrid. First off, very disappointed in the hybrid selection for launch day! It was all about the driver and 3w, had plenty of those. They had one 4 hybrid with a R flex, two 5 hybrids with R flexes in both, and prob eight 3 hybrids with two M flexes three R flexes and three S flexes. They had zero of the TOUR hybrid heads and zero of the TP shaft options. For comparison, I currently have the Adams Idea Pro Golf 20* hybrid and hit it 200-205 yards. The clubs i was trying out and reviews below:

Titleist 910H 19* with Diamana 'ahina (black) 90 for Titleist set at A1
TaylorMade Rescue 11 18* with Aldila RIP 85 HB set at 18*
TaylorMade RBZ 19* with RBZ 65

Started out with the RBZ hybrid and first impressions were that the club looked great at address looking down on it. I have to say I really like the white club heads with black faces, it works for me. A lot of green accents with the grip, shaft, and club head. Doesnt bother me but might some. First shot with it, WOW ball absolutely jumped off the face. Took a nice easy swing just as a warm up and felt like i mashed it. GG sim had it at like 220. Hit about 6 balls and was consistently 220-225 with a long of 243. Ball felt hot off the face and the sound was great, every shot sounded like a good shot. Pulled all 6 of the shots left of center and they had a straight ball flight, no real fade or draw just a pull.

Hit the Rescue 11 next and after 6 balls was hitting it about 213-218 with a long of 228. I really liked this club and was the hybrid i was thinking about picking up about a month ago. Shot shape was mostly a pull fade, started out left of target and faded slightly back to center. After hitting the RBZ and switching to the Rescue 11, the RBZ is my new favorite. Still love the way this club felt and was striping it with this club, but the feel of the RBZ hybrid head just felt better. I liked the weight and feel of the shaft in this club better than the RBZ 65 shaft.

Last I hit the Titleist 910H and all 6 shots were in the 206-212 range with a long of 212. This club felt really smooth and easy to swing. I love Titleist's clubs, they just dont seem to work best for me. Felt like I was striping this club but was only getting about 210 out of it. Every shot was a pull fade that ended up almost dead center. Definitely feel like you could work this club both directions and make the ball do whatever you want it to. This was the most consistent of the 3 as the ball flight was almost exactly the same and distance within 6 yards, but just didnt have that "I WANT THIS CLUB" feel. The numbers and the feel of the RBZ just topped this hybrid in my book.

The only reason i dont have an RBZ hybrid in my bag right now is because i couldnt try out the TOUR head and the TP shafts in the RBZ hybrids. I liked the feel of the TP shaft in the Rescue 11 better than the RBZ 65 shaft and really wish i could have tried the TP shaft in the RBZ club to see how it compared. The guy at GG said they should have more hybrid options in stock come march, so my new hybrid will just have to wait. I am most likely going to be getting this club from GG if i get it because i have some gift cards burning a hole in my wallet.

Hope this helps some people. this is really my first attempt at a review and i just got home from the midnight launch about 4 hours ago haha.

Well marshall, it seems as though your RBZ hybo #'s dwarf the others. I'm kind of surprised it's not yours.

Kmac, tell me about why you went with the hybo.

That is interesting, I saw very similar numbers with the hybrid. So what they did last night was have everyone take a few shots with their own 3W until they thought you piped one or at least hit one solid. I saw this one cat hit his damn 3W 292?! Wtc? He was the exception. After that you then hit the RBZ 3W and usually it was the first swing that beat the old 3W. And they did this on the launch monitor not the sim, so numbers were legit. Most dudes hit it more then 12 yards further. I saw 2 guys who didnt hit the RBZ 3W better. Me, I hit the Nike VR Pro 3W and kept hitting toppers because of the stupid rubber tee. But anyway the best was 219. First swing with the RBZ was also not great but went 224. Best was 232. The face is just hot. And it sets up awesome.

The hyrbid. Just as good IMO. I hit the hybrid in the sim and it was dead straight and 221 or so average. To me its like a nice evolution from the SF hybrid which I didnt care for much. It looks better, sets up better and feels awesome. Sort of a cross between the Rescue's and some of the other hybrids out there. One thing that I found interesting. It seems all the shafts in the new clubs are more stout then previous years. I got both clubs in regular flex as they just felt good.

Back