Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

worked purely on balance last night (which evidently I have none of right now). Had my balance board out and was doing light swinging with clubs, slow turns with a medicine ball, side planks, and one and two leg squats. core strength is slowly coming back together...

This is how awesome my boss is....I came in to work this morning and he asks me "bradd, have you played golf yet this week?" To which I replied "not this week, had a lot of homework due last night." So he says, "well then you better take the afternoon off to play. It's supposed to be nice."

Mind you, I am paid salary so I am getting paid to play golf today. It's supposed to be sunny and mid 40s, so it should be a great day for golf!

worked purely on balance last night (which evidently I have none of right now). Had my balance board out and was doing light swinging with clubs, slow turns with a medicine ball, side planks, and one and two leg squats. core strength is slowly coming back together...
NIce Hanks, I've been donig similar workouts recently and you can really see the benefits in your golf swing.

This is how awesome my boss is....I came in to work this morning and he asks me "bradd, have you played golf yet this week?" To which I replied "not this week, had a lot of homework due last night." So he says, "well then you better take the afternoon off to play. It's supposed to be nice."

Mind you, I am paid salary so I am getting paid to play golf today. It's supposed to be sunny and mid 40s, so it should be a great day for golf!

wow! What a cool boss.

Ddec, I was watching your videos and it's amazing how much you shorten your swing when hitting the golf ball. I wonder if you're costing yourself some precious yards by doing so? Isn't it weird how things change when we stand over the golf ball? You still hit it well though.

INternet Golfer, I completely agree with thainer. Opt for the fitting dude, it's worth it's weight in gold, especially coming from guys who specialize in Callaway products.

this. It's amazing what my mind switches to the moment I address the ball

Isn't it weird how things change when we stand over the golf ball? .

If we could go half way on our problems ddec, we would have a solid swing. You don't go back far enough and I go back too far.

Went out for some greenside practice today and 9 holes. Its my first 9 holes in a few weeks, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Looks like my short game practice in the basement is paying off, immediately on the practice greens I was knocking them close. basically with chipping I am really improving, it is my wedge shots from 50-90 yards that will need the most work once it warms up and I can get out to the range more frequently. I only missed one fairway today, I was working on making sure I got my hips turned through and didn't let my upper body get ahead because I suffered a couple hooks on my last couple holes the last time I played. My ball contact and trajectory was much better and everything was nice and straight, with one or two that had a little baby fade on it. Overall very pleased with the driver. Iron play was also very good today considering how wet the course is. On one hole today had a couple pushed iron shots, other than that accuracy and distance control was very good. I'm not really sure where the pushes came from, but they went away on the next hole. I will get that figured out later. Overall a great day of practice.

Great stuff internetgolfer game sounds like its in pretty good shape considering how little you have been playing.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I have never played a full bag I've decided that for the MC I will most likely go with a strong 3W to make the 14th club. Last night I was perusing around the local golf shop after setting up some lessons and came across a FL 3W in 13*, fortunately this place allows you to demo clubs outside so i checked one out for the day. Took it out to the range today before my round for a test spin, used it only off the tee since I can't think of a situation where I would need to top a ball from the fairway with a 13*. Very impressed with how consistent the club performed, dispersion (both side to side and distance) was incredibly tight. Certainly gave me some confidence in my bag setup thoughts.

Skills wise I've been spending a lot of time working on my greenside bunker shots lately. Not focusing on hitting it to a certain spot, but more so in getting out and putting the ball in the center of the green where I can give myself a decent putt. Today it translated over to the course for the first time in a while, didn't have any balls hit thin over the green or get left in the bunker. I still need to work on touch out of the bunkers but first I wanted/needed to get a solid baseline that I knew would safely get me out of a situation and save a stroke here and there.

Went down and worked on the birdie ball tonight. I worked on 6' putts for about an hour. Then did my workout. I hope I can keep this up thru winter. Hopefully it changes soon. I need more ways to work on my game.

Played today and it was an interesting day. Irons and short game were really on but I couldn't hit my driver to save my life. I was -1 thru 5 holes and had hit every gir but the bogied my way home for a 39 on the front which is still good for the winter and the shot a decent 43 on the back where my driver cost me at least 5 strokes.

Tomorrow my driver and I are going to spend some time together. I know that what I'm doing is coming with a shut clubface but it's easier to type that then to fix it.

Played today and it was an interesting day. Irons and short game were really on but I couldn't hit my driver to save my life. I was -1 thru 5 holes and had hit every gir but the bogied my way home for a 39 on the front which is still good for the winter and the shot a decent 43 on the back where my driver cost me at least 5 strokes.

Tomorrow my driver and I are going to spend some time together. I know that what I'm doing is coming with a shut clubface but it's easier to type that then to fix it.

Still not a bad round with the driver handicaping you. Feeling the face slam shut before you wanted it to is a terrible feeling, but at least you know the problem.

--
tapatalk

That's a solid round CB! I haven't been able to get to the range this week, it's been raining on and off all week here and they are predicting even more rain over the weekend, so I may not see the course at all this weekend :angry:

Today was a great day of prep. I got to the course at about noon and it was a beautiful sunny day, a little windy, kinda cold, but overall just a great winter day. I was working on not shutting the clubface in my backswing which I have been doing lately which has been causing me to hold off on the thru swing and hit some weak draws that could turn into hooks. Well after about an hour on the range, I went out to the course and played two holes, which I played at even par, and then went back to range.
I was happily working on my game, but who shows up but the pro I had played with the day before (he shot 67 and called it a bad round, I haven't seen anything like it) and he asked me if I wanted a lesson. I said of course and I showed him what I was working on, and he said that while it was an improvement on what I was doing yesterday, I was still shut on the back swing. He said he like everything about my swing, other than my shut clubface, so we worked on it and worked on it, and worked on it, while he hit balls beside me ( I should add he is also a member at the club). At the end of the session, I was hitting the ball higher, farther and straigher than I ever have.
I have a lot of work to do but I have some lessons coming up in the near future with him but based on what I was seeing today I'm very excited. I thought I already hit my irons well and a good way, and high, boy was I wrong!

Worked on my putting stroke yet again. Thought alot about actually playing and about course management. Tomorrow I think I will bring my 3w with me to work. Stop by Golf Galaxy on the way home. Take the RBZ challenge just to get to swing a club full force. Maybe get some free golf balls. Hopefully they aren't too busy so I can stay in the bay a little while hitting some balls. I don't get off work till 3 so we will see.

Breezy, I'm getting a sense that you have some excitement in your game right now and I like it!

I cut my 90 minutes of swing practice to 60 minutes tonight. I just felt worn out after painting for 10 hours yesterday, gassed, and started hitting the ball crappy after about 45 minutes. I just figured it would be better to move on and come back refreshed. Started strong at least. Pro is back in town, so I scheduled my next lesson. Also booked Sunday practice time.

Thanks hawk I am excited about where my swing is and where I think it is going. I plan on playing a little less for a while and spending more time on the range.

Good idea about cutting it short when you are not feeling it. You are going to come back tomorrow refreshed and crushing the ball.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed hoping to sneak in a quick range session and 18 holes in the morning before the rains hit yet again!

Swung the club in the yard some this evening....really working taking the club more "around my body" than so upright....when I do it correctly my ballflight goes from a high fade to a penetrating baby draw...and I gain 10+ yards off the tee.

First lesson is today. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Not sure if hes going to tell me that he wants to tear my swing all the way down. Its brrrr outside too!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

First lesson is today. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Not sure if hes going to tell me that he wants to tear my swing all the way down. Its brrrr outside too!

Good luck out there.
1st it was a swing change.
Then it was the Sean Foley swing.
Then it was going back to the original.
Now you are going to get a different swing change.

Honest question. What do you think is the biggest issue, and why are you trying to make a complete swing change?

Haha. I know it is confusing keeping up with my craziness. I am just taking regular old lessons now. I want to see what he has to say about my swing and go from there.

I know that he likes my swing. So what I think will happen is that he is just going to make some minor corrections. But I will go into this with an open mind. If he wants to break me down quite a bit I will do it.

Forgot to add that my biggest issue, IMO, is an OTT move. I would really like that fixed

Heading to the range in a bit for some MC Prep and testing. Today I'm going to work on chipping, pitching, and putting. Not the most exciting stuff but just trying to keep my mind on tempo and patience in my swing

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

So I managed about 45 minutes on the range working on the flatter more "round swing" and headed to the first tee...527 yard par 5 that doglegs left around a lake....corner is about 254 from the tee....I smoked a nice mid flighted ball that started just right off center and drew right past the corner! Hit 3w to front edge chipped up and 2 putted for par....that was the highlight of the morning......we did get 9 holes in before the bottom dropped out and the rains came....well we played the last few shots of the 9th hole in the down pour!

I was hooking my driver too hard and hit 3 balls OOB and one in the water...still managed 1 more par and posted a 45...so it wasn't horrible....at least I got to play a few hole before the weekend got washed away!

Back