Straight Razor Shaving

So....

I bought a wet shave kit. Straight razor. Couldn't help myself, have to give it a try. I bought a full kit with a used razor that I can return for very little loss of investment. Currently looking into creams to go with it.

Check out these few.
Truefitt & Hill
Trumpers
Art of Shaving
Sharps
Billy Jealousy
Jack Black

Appreciate it. You use soap or cream?
Check out these few.
Truefitt & Hill
Trumpers
Art of Shaving
Sharps
Billy Jealousy
Jack Black

Appreciate it. You use soap or cream?

Cream. Still use some of these every once in a while, but truthfully cheaper gels from the store work just as well (for me anyway and I have a thick fast growing beard that grows two ways).

While some of it can be more enjoyable than a can of edge gel, the truth is, for me anyway, that I grow tired of the time it takes for the badger brush, whipping into lather, and the cost associated with so much of the stuff.

I understand, and cost will be a concern for me as well. This will probably be more of a once a week thing for me, with maintenance using a cartridge during the week. I hear good things about Geo F. Trumpers. Might pick up one of their lime scents.
Cream. Still use some of these every once in a while, but truthfully cheaper gels from the store work just as well (for me anyway and I have a thick fast growing beard that grows two ways).

While some of it can be more enjoyable than a can of edge gel, the truth is, for me anyway, that I grow tired of the time it takes for the badger brush, whipping into lather, and the cost associated with so much of the stuff.

Id be fine with a straight razor if I went to a good barber and got it done but Id never do it on myself. Besides, when Im clean shaven I look like Im 12 years old.

Just did my first straight razor shave. Very nice experience, 3 passes, easily as smooth as a cartridge, and much smoother than my first time using a cartridge. Also, the soap smells nice. I like nice smelling soap. The badger brush, on the other hand? Smells like a cat.

I did a lot of research last night, and while I appreciate all the responses, I have decided to go with a nice DE razor instead. Some of you asked why I am wanting to switch, so here are my reasons:

1. I have extremely coarse, fast growing hair, especially along the jaw line. As such, I want a blade with a more aggressive cut.
2. Replacement blades for a DE razor are less expensive than that for my disposable razor.
3. A good razor will last a lifetime.

I shave against the grain already, and am just not getting the results I want.

Something like this.

merkur39R.jpg

I have been shaving with a razor like this for the last 30 years jacob and I love it. Use it for both my face and my head. The one I have was issued to my grandfather during WW2 and it still works like a champ.
You can adjust them to exactly how close you want your shave and with a little patience you'll get the best shave ever.

My barber uses a straight razor shave when he's done with my cut. I imagine myself being Capone from the Untouchables when he does it. It really is the cleanest way to shave.

I'd get it done by a barber, but eff doing it myself. My beard is way too coarse and grows in way too thick to have to deal with a straight razor everyday. Gillette just has some really good options out right now that are quick and effective.

I used to do the straight razor shave. Then for years I went to the Sensor then to Fusion razors. But I bought a Remington and it's already paid for itself and saved me money.

Only every once in a while will I do a "regular" shave and when I do I shave in the shower. It's quick and clean. No mess to clean up.

I cant shave in the shower because Im too rookie to know where ive been and where I need to go lol.
I used to do the straight razor shave. Then for years I went to the Sensor then to Fusion razors. But I bought a Remington and it's already paid for itself and saved me money.

Only every once in a while will I do a "regular" shave and when I do I shave in the shower. It's quick and clean. No mess to clean up.

I used to shave with a double edge blade bent into a semi circle to give it rigidity by holding it between my thumb and forefinger, closest shave you will ever get, but be careful! I quit shaving years ago though.

So, after a few weeks with a straight, I am still loving it. It doesn't really take me a whole lot of extra time, and my face feels much better afterwards. Also, there are areas that I can shave much better now. I would love to recommend this method, but a lot of people just wouldn't have the time, or would be nervous.

I dabbled with straight razors, but stropping and maintains both a strop and a razor is time consuming. Disposable razors are trash. I shave daily with a safety razor, badger brush, and sandalwood shave cream. It relaxes me and the safety razor, IMHO produces a much closer shave, not to mention the fact that high quality blades are a fraction of Mach 3 type replacement cartridges. Splash on some Pinaud clubman and you're officially masculine.

I dabbled with straight razors, but stropping and maintains both a strop and a razor is time consuming. Disposable razors are trash. I shave daily with a safety razor, badger brush, and sandalwood shave cream. It relaxes me and the safety razor, IMHO produces a much closer shave, not to mention the fact that high quality blades are a fraction of Mach 3 type replacement cartridges. Splash on some Pinaud clubman and you're officially masculine.

Boom. am a huge fan of their bay rum on a cold day.

Boom. am a huge fan of their bay rum on a cold day.

I'd imagine it wouldn't taste like the rum I'm thinking of..right?

I tried it and got some decent results for a beginner, even around the neck. Chin was awkward, probably my most stubborn beard spot.
For trials i invested only in the straight razor, no proper blade maintenance equipment (strap, whetstone), so i'm back to my safety razor.
Took quite some time for a shave, and i couldn't stop nicking myself around the chin, so i'm not likely to bring the thing back out until i have a lot of time to spare in the morning.

With all that said, i enjoy the ceremony of shaving older ways, whipping up the soap myself etc. Not to mention it saves a bunch of money. a few pennies for even the highest quality blades, huh gilette?

Not sure i'd have tried straight directly from the modern wet stuff or an electric, i had a safety razor for about 2 years before trying.

I did a lot of research last night, and while I appreciate all the responses, I have decided to go with a nice DE razor instead. Some of you asked why I am wanting to switch, so here are my reasons:

1. I have extremely coarse, fast growing hair, especially along the jaw line. As such, I want a blade with a more aggressive cut.
2. Replacement blades for a DE razor are less expensive than that for my disposable razor.
3. A good razor will last a lifetime.

I shave against the grain already, and am just not getting the results I want.

Something like this.

merkur39R.jpg

Yo brudda be careful with those blades! Handling them and shaving with it,I cut myself pretty good with one of those.Wasn,t paying attention. I gave that up right quick scared the hell outta me!

Yep, they are sharp.
The first day i got new toy (2nd DE) with adjustable head i immediately went and slipped while turning it and cut up my thumb .) Silly me, of course i could've held it from a different side to be safe.

But that's by no means a reason to turn away from them. The blades are securely held with only a small bit showing, its hard to get a _serious_ cut. Don't apply pressure*, always lead with the blades edge, don't move sideways and you're pretty much unable to cut yourself.
It teaches attentiveness and care, and makes for a nice ceremonial break from everyday stress and hurry.
+ you get to have 1 of these for the occasional nick, to feel even more manly.
tade_alum_stone_310.jpg

*(quality DEs have a good weight to themselves already, no need to press them against the face.)

O, and maybe don't start with Feather Blades. They're pretty good.

Yep, they are sharp.The first day i got new toy (2nd DE) with adjustable head i immediately went and slipped while turning it and cut up my thumb .) Silly me, of course i could've held it from a different side to be safe.But that's by no means a reason to turn away from them. The blades are securely held with only a small bit showing, its hard to get a _serious_ cut. Don't apply pressure*, always lead with the blades edge, don't move sideways and you're pretty much unable to cut yourself.It teaches attentiveness and care, and makes for a nice ceremonial break from everyday stress and hurry.+ you get to have 1 of these for the occasional nick, to feel even more manly.
tade_alum_stone_310.jpg
*(quality DEs have a good weight to themselves already, no need to press them against the face.)
Alum is great for an After Shave application, but I prefer a styptic pencil for nicks.

Back