Instant Club Testing Feedback - Tomorrow Afternoon

This thread was so much fun to read. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I was able to take the RBZ challenge today and failed miserably. Really interested on the Mashie 3W

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

This thread was such a good read. Thank you so much JB and GG. The pics of the bags and JB holding all those 8 irons was enjoyment enough. Everything else was a bonus.

Thanks, this was fun to read and see how the equipment played for you both.

Your welcome. I think the Trusty Rusty is great looking and I want the darn thing to work for me, but this is three times now that I have struggled with it compared to my other wedges.J

Do you think the Trusty Rusty might perform better on a course with tight lies and very firm conditions?
The reason I ask is because those are the conditions most of the time at my home course and finding the right wedge combination has been difficult. At home, I tend to use my 59 degree Vokey more due to its lower bounce and sharper edge. When I play on courses with softer, more lush conditions, I tend to gravitate to my 56 CG14.
I can't help but wonder how well the Rusty would perform on my home course, especially since I'm not a huge digger with the wedges.

Would love live updates like this from the Morgan Cup!

The Cleveland Classic driver is already pretty tempting but reading this amps it up!

JB GG this was a great idea i was waiting with anticipation on what was going to be hit next. love the feed back the pics everything was top notch. GG keep us posted on the new equipment you are testing looking at getting the wife a new driver and love the reviews. Thanks guys

Really enjoyed reading through your posts hold by hole. I hate both of you because while I was working my butt off you were doing this! lol! It was 60 degrees here in Seattle today, which is beyond rare for us this time of year so I am just jealous I couldn't get out there and chase a ball around.

I love looking at this!!

What a col Thread guys. Thanks for sharing!

This was a total 'Eureka' moment from you both of you. Lets's have more of it.

I gotta jump on the wagon...this thread was absolutely amazing. These threads keep us coming back and make me feel like I need to upgrade my gear.

I learned three things:
-I can't completely disregard the Amp products, even though my objective mind told me I could scratch that one off
-Mashie comes in a 3w (where have I been?)...and I want to hit it
-I want a set of z-star irons with miyazaki graphite shafts

I have to say those Cobra AMP Irons are awesome! I honestly loved everything about them. The only knock I have on them, is that they are not quite as forgiving at the TM SuperLaunch that I currently play, but they are forgiving enough that I am seriously considering the switch. I love how much lighter they are then the SL, which is funny because the weight never bothered me before, but after hitting them side by side today I did prefer the weight of the AMP. I also liked how high the ball launched for me with these irons. I am not a high launch person so it was nice to get a little height on the ball, which definitely helped them carry longer giving me great distance. I think a lot of that has to do with the shaft in these clubs, they have a low kickpoint launching the ball nice and high for me.

As mentioned I wasn't a huge fan of the Trusty Rusty, they just dug too much for my liking. I already struggle with wedges, I don't need any additional issues haha.

As for the AMP driver, I have mixed feelings on this club. I really like the way it looks at set up, I LOVE the sound it makes, and for the most part I was hitting it really well, but it was launching a little higher than I would like, but to be fair I was struggling with every driver today. My NASTY slice is back which just ruins every shot. I seriously lose at least 10-15 yards because of my slice. I have to work on that again.

The Cobra Baffler 4 hybrid and 3 wood both preformed really well. I don't love hybrids and have a tendency to shank them (yes I said the 's' word), but I was hitting this one pretty well, and when struck well it was going LONG! I seemed to be hitting last year's Baffler 5wood better off the deck then the new 3 wood, but that could be a comfort thing for me. That and I am terrible at hitting woods off the deck, hence the reason I don't play hybrids. They play mind tricks on me and make me think I am hitting a wood.

Since the only 2012 ladies equipment I currently have is Cobra, that is all I have to report on for this round, but I will be working hard to get some new stuff soon so for our next live round I will have some new equipment to report on.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Oh and one last thing, the stock grips on the Cobra clubs are great! They aren't my awesome hot pink PURE Grips, but for a stock offering, I liked them a lot.

When you go from heavy to lighter clubs it's amazing the feeling you get. That why haven't I been swinging lighter clubs before now. Glad you liked the Amps.
I know why JB doesn't like the Trusty, what was it that you didn't like? Was it the feedback after the shot? The feel of the club? Just wondering, I used to love these wedges back when they first offered

Do you think the Trusty Rusty might perform better on a course with tight lies and very firm conditions?
The reason I ask is because those are the conditions most of the time at my home course and finding the right wedge combination has been difficult. At home, I tend to use my 59 degree Vokey more due to its lower bounce and sharper edge. When I play on courses with softer, more lush conditions, I tend to gravitate to my 56 CG14.
I can't help but wonder how well the Rusty would perform on my home course, especially since I'm not a huge digger with the wedges.

I wish that was the case, but our course is pretty firm today.

Would love live updates like this from the Morgan Cup!

The Cleveland Classic driver is already pretty tempting but reading this amps it up!

Stay tuned, perhaps you get your wish only more in depth.

Although completely live streaming video with full updates is hard to do and as we mentioned above, would need a few more Albatross Club members to pull that off. :act-up:

When you go from heavy to lighter clubs it's amazing the feeling you get. That why haven't I been swinging lighter clubs before now. Glad you liked the Amps.
I know why JB doesn't like the Trusty, what was it that you didn't like? Was it the feedback after the shot? The feel of the club? Just wondering, I used to love these wedges back when they first offered

I feel as though for any type of steep swing, the leading edge of the club is getting too low too fast and causing the club to dig way too much. Its hard to get feedback/feel if you are chunking every shot with it. Used it 3 times on the course and chunked all of them. Switched to the 588 and had no issues.

Your welcome. I think the Trusty Rusty is great looking and I want the darn thing to work for me, but this is three times now that I have struggled with it compared to my other wedges.

I think both are really good, but I just prefer the smaller head and the shaft in the mashie.

Every picture I've seen of the T.R. I just don't care looking down at it. The hosel or something just looks off to me. Well, and the fact that it's already rusted up is a big turn off for me.

Couple of things I learned from the read this morning:

1. This was really fun to read...THANKS! JB & GG for doing this fun idea!
2. AMPs may be better than I thought they would be
3. Now I know why TC isn't getting too fired up in the MC 2.0 Trash Talk thread...he could have these in the bag and let them do the talkin'!!:

c6e4e9a7-345e-0e9a.jpg

This is going into the green for me on the next shot. 152 in.

JB just hit a 588 wedge to within a foot of the pin.

Drool....

JB - What are your current thoughts about the forgiveness of the drivers you have been hitting recently? I know with the RBZ claims, everyone is talking distance increases, but it's pointless to be to get 10 extra yards if I'm just further into the trees. Obviously, you've been hitting the Cleveland Classic pretty straight.

JB - What are your current thoughts about the forgiveness of the drivers you have been hitting recently? I know with the RBZ claims, everyone is talking distance increases, but it's pointless to be to get 10 extra yards if I'm just further into the trees. Obviously, you've been hitting the Cleveland Classic pretty straight.

The size of the face of the Classic just inspires confidence. Its absolutely huge. I have not struggled with forgiveness at all with it and it is neutral at setup, so its pretty straight there. Missing high on the face almost has no distance loss at all.

The RBZ is pretty forgiving, however like almost every other FW out there, off the deck, I personally still miss 1 out of 5 or so. The Mashie FW is the only one I have found that does not give me issues like that.

I found the RAZR Fit to be pretty forgiving and more so than expected. Its still a tad shallower than I personally like in a driver, but that is all just personal preference. The lateral forgiveness of it is something really really good. I also find the adjustability on it incredible.

Great write up guys! Awesome to hear feedback on so many clubs!

Just caught up with this thread. Amazing stuff.

I'm really thinking that a Cleveland Classic could end up being my new driver of choice. I think I'm falling for that club.

Further repeating what everyone else has said, this was a great idea, lots of fun and definitely kept the interest ramped up. It took me a good couple days to read through it all - glad I did.

I can't wait to see how some of these drivers stand up to the CG Black I'm testing. Previous conversations and threads make me believe this will be an interesting result when put in my hands with my swing. As a whole I have to say I really like Cleveland's clubs - top to bottom they all look good. One of my goals is to get fitted to new (lighter?) irons this year. This thread and all the others are helping me limit down to which clubs I will try.

We are so glad that you guys liked the instant feedback. GG and I have decided to do it again this Friday (weather permitting). However there are some tweaks. This time we will only be reviewing a single set.

GolferGal - She will be reviewing the Cobra AMP Ladies set. Driver through Trusty Rusty wedge will be in her bag.

JB - I will leave that up to you guys. Fit my bag with 14 clubs and I will play them for the round and give you feedback live after each shot via the thread. Whatever you guys want feedback on, that is what I will play, however I am only going to carry 14 clubs (and the putter is not changing), so whatever you want to see, just let me know in this thread.

Driver - Long Tom
Fairway - J40
Hybrids - AMP
Irons- Nike VRS Forged
Wedges - J40

Id like to see the great big trusty rusty in there for a round...

We are so glad that you guys liked the instant feedback. GG and I have decided to do it again this Friday (weather permitting). However there are some tweaks. This time we will only be reviewing a single set.

GolferGal - She will be reviewing the Cobra AMP Ladies set. Driver through Trusty Rusty wedge will be in her bag.

JB - I will leave that up to you guys. Fit my bag with 14 clubs and I will play them for the round and give you feedback live after each shot via the thread. Whatever you guys want feedback on, that is what I will play, however I am only going to carry 14 clubs (and the putter is not changing), so whatever you want to see, just let me know in this thread.

Back