New Birdie Ball Putting Green and Chip Mat

Almost finished with platform 4X10 Birdie Ball with Robocup. I still need to add 2 cups, but added a putter display to complete the room. Everyone's done such a great job, thanks it pushed me to finish my project.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0067.jpg

wow I'm jealous of that setup. Great job man

That room is freakin fantastic Nextgen! I love the set up.

Uh oh, I have a new project! Love that golf room!!! We have a golf room/office too. I recently bought the 4' x 9' green and now want my golf room to look like yours. It will mean moving some furniture out but we never use it anyway. Ole Gray now has a "honey do" list in the works.

That's what friends are for...my wife and kids dont understand why I do the things I do like fellow THPers, but they give their support anyways. Good luck with your project.

Dude, you did an awesome job, not only on the platform, but the putter stand too....OUTSTANDING!

Thanks, it was a fun project to do with my kids.

That room is freakin fantastic Nextgen! I love the set up.

Thanks, now I need to convince my wife to let me build a bigger green in the backyard...lol

Wow that looks awesome! I need to make one of those platforms. I love the stained wood look.

Thanks, my wife didn't like the unfinished wood look. Happy wife...happy life.

Wow!! Nextgen that looks awesome!!!

I decided to paint the trim on my birdie ball. It looks a lot cooler! Went with black with green marks.
a6f9614b-927b-913d.jpg
a6f9614b-929d-bafb.jpg
a6f9614b-92bd-ec3f.jpg

I did this up both sides. Marking distance from every hole no matter which hole I'm aiming towards. Looks nice now! Can even see my Frog marked ball. Lol

Fear The Frog! Amphibians can Tapatalk.

That looks great! I worked hard cleaning and organizing our golf room the other day but just couldn't find room to fit mine in there with a wood base. I'm bummed because they look so good. I still have to store mine and roll it out when using it. Just give me time, I'll figure something out. LOL

How long is yours KB?

I decided to paint the trim on my birdie ball. It looks a lot cooler! Went with black with green marks.
a6f9614b-927b-913d.jpg
a6f9614b-929d-bafb.jpg
a6f9614b-92bd-ec3f.jpg

I did this up both sides. Marking distance from every hole no matter which hole I'm aiming towards. Looks nice now! Can even see my Frog marked ball. Lol

Looks great Bullfrog, luv the color and hash marks on the sides.

Looks great Bullfrog, luv the color and hash marks on the sides.

I measured them out and hand painted them. Freestyle... LOL But I did a decent job because I took my time.

It's only 4' x 9' but there is always something in the way. I have too much furniture. I actually sold my loveseat in our office to a coworker the other day and thought that would free up the space but it's still too crowded because of OG's big desk/chair and a floor vent that messed up my idea. The desk might have to go too! I could definitely downsize it and make it work but do I really want to do that? YES! :D

My office looks almost exactly like Nextgen's except I have a huge desk in there too. My putting green is the same size as his too.

How long is yours KB?

That looks good bullfrog. I really want to do this too but it will have to wait.

I'm wondering if you could make one that you could just store. Do 3' sections. Not sure how heavy it would be. My 6' sections are pretty heavy but yours would be half the size half the weight.

Better yet, just get rid of OG's desk... LOL

a6f9614b-927b-913d.jpg
a6f9614b-929d-bafb.jpg
a6f9614b-92bd-ec3f.jpg

Looks good. I don't plan on painting mine, because it's in the garage but I did do chalk lines as my main focus is STRAIGHT putts. I also marked the distances 1-13 ft.

Good job Bullfrog, it looks great buddy.

Thanks guys. I'm loving it.

There seems to be a key Design choice when building a platform.

2 x 4 layed flat yields a 2 3/4" depth cup (1 1/2" for board + 3/4" for particle board + 1/2" for mat)

2 x 4 upright yields 4 3/4" depth cup

What are the pluses and minuses. Any problems with multiple balls staying in the cup with the lower depth.

I like the lower profile, but wanted a second or third opinion. I plan on staining 1 x 5 white pine to provide bumpers. My wife loved the idea as it would look good!

I have the deeper cups. When using a full dozen of balls I don't have to worry about them hopping out. I also stuffed the hole cutouts into the pvc cups to keep the balls from bouncing on the concrete floor of me basement. It's amazing how a little paint really made it look nice!

I am staining because if the putting green looks good enough I will be able to put it in the finished basement (Yes, I am married).

Did you use 1/2" particle board or 3/4". If you used 1/2" does it flex?

I used 1/2". I'm only 150lbs. So it doesn't really flex. I put my cross members 2 ft apart. Mines 18' so I made 3 6' sections to make it moveable. My trim holds it together by overlapping. If I need to move it. Off comes the trim then its decent to move.

How heavy is each section. I have a 13.5' putting green. I was going to go with 3 sections. 2 4' sections and a 5.5" section. I could go with 2 sections, but thought they may be unwieldy. How are yours. Can you move one yourself or a two person job.

I can move one myself. I would just stand it on its side and move it that way. If I had to guess i would say each section is 60-75 lbs. Not real heavy but bulky.

How heavy is each section. I have a 13.5' putting green. I was going to go with 3 sections. 2 4' sections and a 5.5" section. I could go with 2 sections, but thought they may be unwieldy. How are yours. Can you move one yourself or a two person job.

I have the 13.5 also and did 2 sections, not heavy at all. You should be fine.

Back