Your Favorite Golf Destination

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Well, it is a relatively warm day for February here and I am getting the travel bug again. I, like many of the members here at THP, love to get the best bang for the buck. As a purist, I am more interested in a courses layout and condition than the luxury its clubhouse or resort offers. I don't care about swimming pools or spas. I'd also say the same for food... I'm content with peanut butter and jelly as long as I can play a world class course. I was lucky enough to play some gems in Ireland while saving a great deal of money staying with family. While I would love to return to Ireland again, I just can't make that trip happen again.

What are some of your favorite spots throughout the country?

I'd love to play Pinhurst and Kiawah Island but am turned off by their required resort stay.

Chris, it sounds like you have had your share of experiences and I'd love to hear what you think on the matter. I still cannot you have played Augusta! I have stated in other threads that I would remove a certain body part (since you only need one anyway) to play that course!

Well, it is a relatively warm day for February here and I am getting the travel bug again. I, like many of the members here at THP, love to get the best bang for the buck. As a purist, I am more interested in a courses layout and condition than the luxury its clubhouse or resort offers. I don't care about swimming pools or spas. I'd also say the same for food... I'm content with peanut butter and jelly as long as I can play a world class course. I was lucky enough to play some gems in Ireland while saving a great deal of money staying with family. While I would love to return to Ireland again, I just can't make that trip happen again.

What are some of your favorite spots throughout the country?

I'd love to play Pinhurst and Kiawah Island but am turned off by their required resort stay.

Chris, it sounds like you have had your share of experiences and I'd love to hear what you think on the matter. I still cannot you have played Augusta! I have stated in other threads that I would remove a certain body part (since you only need one anyway) to play that course!

Hope it's a Pro V1!:snicker:

Hope it's a Pro V1!:snicker:

LGL... for Augusta, the whole shebang with a caddie and dinner at the club, I'd give a LOT, and not money... because I don't have much of that

Every time I took golfing vacations it was to Phoenix/Scottsdale. In July and August you can play some high dollar courses for next to nothing. Just play early so you can be poolside downing beers by noon!

Every time I took golfing vacations it was to Phoenix/Scottsdale. In July and August you can play some high dollar courses for next to nothing. Just play early so you can be poolside downing beers by noon!

I have heard that... I saw TPC Scottsdale for a 100 bucks in July. 120 heat... nothing will stop me!

I was just looking at Hillcrest, it's in the thread that 907 has for his golf trip. Green fees were $44 on weekdays and I think $52 on weekend. Go stay in some flea bag motel and you're set.

You cant beat the Unlimited Golf package at La Quinta, with 6 courses to chose from. I know right now you can get them for about 300 a night, but it goes way down during the off season.

You cant beat the Unlimited Golf package at La Quinta, with 6 courses to chose from. I know right now you can get them for about 300 a night, but it goes way down during the off season.

that is a good deal... I just wish you could pay less and screw the hotel. I only need a bed = cheap motel 6. You'd be looking at 900 for a weekend... kind of steep for me

that is a good deal... I just wish you could pay less and screw the hotel. I only need a bed = cheap motel 6. You'd be looking at 900 for a weekend... kind of steep for me

If you can deal with the heat, I think the season ends after April.

I know people get turned off when someone says Myrtle Beach, but the south end of the Grand Strand (Murrell's Inlet, Pawley's Island, etc.) has some great courses, restaurants and you're still away from the tourist trap that is the downtown Myrtle Beach. If you go, play Caledonia, True Blue, Debordieu and Pawleys Plantation for sure.

If you start at 6am, you could get in 54.:act-up:

I know people get turned off when someone says Myrtle Beach, but the south end of the Grand Strand (Murrell's Inlet, Pawley's Island, etc.) has some great courses, restaurants and you're still away from the tourist trap that is the downtown Myrtle Beach. If you go, play Caledonia, True Blue, Debordieu and Pawleys Plantation for sure.

I have seriously considered Barefoot... I am only 24 so renting a car is a tough thing to do without shelling out major cash. I'd like something all there or within walking distance.

If you start at 6am, you could get in 54.:act-up:

haha... you know it! If it was a dream 5 day trip at Sea Island I'd play 54 Monday-Wed-Friday and on Tuesday-Thursday I would spend hours hitting on the range and working on my short game and play 27 holes. Then I'd have a few cocktails with DLIII

I have seriously considered Barefoot... I am only 24 so renting a car is a tough thing to do without shelling out major cash. I'd like something all there or within walking distance.

Barefoot is great. If you stay in North Myrtle, do yourself the favor of springing to play Tidewater, even if you have to take a taxi. It may be the best golf course on the entire Grand Strand.

Being under 25 def makes the rental cars more difficult, but lots of times if you book a package through a travel site you can include the rental car with the flight and its not quite as steep as it would have been had you just rented the car alone. Also, look at Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday if you decide to go the package route. They have good deals, fair prices and access to all the best courses in the area (even the private ones).

I was going to say Myrtle Beach. We go down there every year and our group gets a little bigger everytime. Sure there are a lot of places I would rather go and play but for the cost of a nights lodging and a round of golf at some of those "dream" courses I can get almost a weeks lodging and golf in Myrtle. Plus it is only a 5 hour drive from me too. We usually stay and play in North Myrtle and pick mostly average courses(that are nicer than most around here) and usually pick one semi-premium, this helps keep the cost affordable to everyone. This years trip was under $500 a person for 4 nights and 4 rounds.

I was going to say Myrtle Beach. We go down there every year and our group gets a little bigger everytime. Sure there are a lot of places I would rather go and play but for the cost of a nights lodging and a round of golf at some of those "dream" courses I can get almost a weeks lodging and golf in Myrtle. Plus it is only a 5 hour drive from me too. We usually stay and play in North Myrtle and pick mostly average courses(that are nicer than most around here) and usually pick one semi-premium, this helps keep the cost affordable to everyone. This years trip was under $500 a person for 4 nights and 4 rounds.

that is pretty dirt cheap!

that is pretty dirt cheap!

Our original package was around $565 a person with a 9 bedroom house with game room(with pool table, air hockey and fuseball table), swimming pool, hot tub and all the bells and whistles. But of course 2 of the 8 people going wanted to nickel and dime the price so we settled with just a game room in an 8 bedroom place. No travel costs either due to the fact that two people going drive company cars!!! Next year I'll book it earlier in the year and we can get two 4 bedroom houses side by side and save close to $100 a person to put towards more premium courses(there are around 100 courses to choose from).

Our original package was around $565 a person with a 9 bedroom house with game room(with pool table, air hockey and fuseball table), swimming pool, hot tub and all the bells and whistles. But of course 2 of the 8 people going wanted to nickel and dime the price so we settled with just a game room in an 8 bedroom place. No travel costs either due to the fact that two people going drive company cars!!! Next year I'll book it earlier in the year and we can get two 4 bedroom houses side by side and save close to $100 a person to put towards more premium courses(there are around 100 courses to choose from).

sounds like you guys have a good time... I've yet to really make any good golf friends like that. Most of my friends my age don't really play enough and certaintly not enough to spend any real money on a trip.

sounds like you guys have a good time... I've yet to really make any good golf friends like that. Most of my friends my age don't really play enough and certaintly not enough to spend any real money on a trip.

It is a good time; Vacation, Good Company, Cigars, Golf, Poker, & Gentlemen's Clubs...what more could you want for 4 days???

It is a good time; Vacation, Good Company, Cigars, Golf, Poker, & Gentlemen's Clubs...what more could you want for 4 days???

alright, my kind of man! haha

I'm right there with you I love it in MB to the point I bought a place to hopefully someday call home. I wish I could get down far more frequently then I do.

I'm right there with you I love it in MB to the point I bought a place to hopefully someday call home. I wish I could get down far more frequently then I do.

hey brother... making small steps. You'll get there!

Haven't taken any "golfing vacations" other than hauling my clubs to Texas last year & playing a little. As well as hitting up my in-laws on the MS/AL border.

Would love to hit New Mexico for what appears to be fabulous golf.

Back