Are you for or against the anchored putter?

Are you for or against the anchored putter?

• Total voters
agreed. Heck he was number 3 in the world with a short putter before his game went south. He won in 2010 before he changed to the long putter.

Yup. Some guys have it, lose it, and find it again. Others don't. It's golf.

Reckon you don't see who anyone who isn't struggling with their putter make a switch to a long one.... Well I reckon I haven't. I don't know, I don't use one and I like my putter just fine.

I always wondered why people think it's unfair when they have every opportunity to get out and try using a belly putter for themselves. They aren't forced to use a 35 inch putter, they could very easily walk to the tour truck and say, make me a 44 inch putter. Belly putters aren't a magic elixir of any kind, Ernie Els still can't putt for crap.

Plus he did an about-face when it comes to these putters.......but everyone has the right to change their mind I guess.

Reckon you don't see who anyone who isn't struggling with their putter make a switch to a long one.... Well I reckon I haven't. I don't know, I don't use one and I like my putter just fine.

I reckon I agree. I just work harder to perfect my stroke with my current putter. I just have no interest in a long one, but that doesn't mean they should be illegal.

I reckon I agree. I just work harder to perfect my stroke with my current putter. I just have no interest in a long one, but that doesn't mean they should be illegal.

Feel the same TC. What kinda really irks me more is the fact I think OEM's $$$ and certain players will have a say in this matter but for the wrong reasons. Reckon I'd rather just spend more time on the green too than allow my stomach to feel chunker with a belly putter.

I'm not saying they are being rational, but I do believe most people feel that way. I think if you are a good feel putter using a standard putter then a long putter would only hurt your game probably, I think the issue people have with it, is that they think it is making bad putters into ok putters and giving them an advantage. If your strength is putting but you are short off the tee, there is no different style driver that allows you to be longer, or straighter and you have to try and win with what you've got. But guys like Webb simpson who are long off the tee, excellent ball strikers with their irons, but then poor on the greens, now are able to make themselves just good enough with the Belly putters to win, and win a lot.

Very rational thought here CB. Even if stats don't back it up (which I dont know Im just saying in general) its the perception of the putter and what it does.

Phil didn't win a major until he went to a forward press. So the forward press won Phil a major. Out law the forward press because it helped one guy win.
I didn't play consistently better until I went an overlap grip from a 10 finger. It has nothing to do with this debate. Crenshaw used a forward press his entire career and was one of the best putters, ever. SO WHAT

They sure do. But so do heavy putters and overside stroke saver grips. Ban those to? Just because they make it easier to take the hands out of the stroke.
These putters are still used in a traditional manner. Swing the arms in a pendulum motion with no anchor. The large grip reduces grip pressure to free up the stroke. Still not part of the debate.

To be clear, if the USGA wants to make their rule, they can. It's the reason for banning them that I have the issue with. If the USGA wants to ban them because of some advantage that lowers scores, they're wrong.Belly putters don't automatically equate to lower scores, especially on the tour level.
THey don't equate to lower scores for everyone but you cant argue with the results we see week in and week out. More and more guys using Belly Putters are winning events. This was not the case two years ago. Sure anchored putters have won but not at this clip. Pros are switching because they are easier to putt with for a segment of them. There are exceptions to the rule.

I have no idea what's going on in this thread. Golf is a game of personal preferences. Some like shovels, others like blades. Some light black, some like white. To me, this is no different. I don't see how a belly putter or an anchor'd putter gives anyone an advantage over the guy who isn't using one.
There is nothing going on, just a healthy debate about belly putters.

Adam Scott won before using the broom stick. Golf is a game that ebbs and flows, even for the most elite golfers in the world. We don't know what's going on in their personal lives, what their work ethics are like, etc.
He did but his career was living up to the hype or expectations. He switches and gets some confidence and now he elite again. Not saying the Belly was the sole reason but it helped from a psychological stand point. SW also helped.

Dang you guys talked me right into ordering me a SeeMore Si3 putter 43 center shafted model from Rock Bottom Golf! :D. Now we have three belly putters in the family. I have two and and KellyBo just received her first one recently. I putted with her new S-1 last night and it felt really good however I liked the bigger mallet shape the Si3 provided. Thanks guys !

I think people like to see things in concrete terms on both sides and I just don't see it happening. I've seen nothing to convince me that they are changing the outcome of tour events either way. Sure more people are winning with them, but then again, more people seem to be using them. I think it's an argument that has more to do with personal beliefs and emotion than it does statistics, at least when it comes to Tour wins.

The argument that anchored putters eliminate swing flaws therefor they should be banned doesn't hold water to me. There a bunch of features that cover up swing flaws. For me my belly putter doesn't change the fact that I have to bring the putter back and through the ball. It does change how I do that. But so does a plummers neck, a strokesaver grip, or even a face balanced mallet.

If the rule stated that no club can come into contact with the golfer's body above the elbow, then so be it. But to say that anchoring a putter to the body creates an unfair advantage is simply put, untrue.

Question for you all here. Since Adam Scott was "wristy," and the belly putter helped his game, would I also benefit from one since that was my issue before switching to the SuperStroke Fatso grip? It has helped me tremendously, especially on the shorter putts, and I am curious if the belly putter has close to the same benefits. I've never honestly given one a shot outside of toying with a Ghost at the clubhouse.

Question for you all here. Since Adam Scott was "wristy," and the belly putter helped his game, would I also benefit from one since that was my issue before switching to the SuperStroke Fatso grip? It has helped me tremendously, especially on the shorter putts, and I am curious if the belly putter has close to the same benefits. I've never honestly given one a shot outside of toying with a Ghost at the clubhouse.

There is no real answer. It may. There is a definate loss of fell on long putts. There is also some setup considerations with a belly. It isn't a cure all. But my belly has definately added some consistency with my stroke. I have lost some spped control though. There is also a definate loss of feel for me. If I make a mistake in my stroke, it is much harder to correct that mistake midstroke. It takes practice.

I think all the fuss about belly and long putters is because of the fact that they aren't good for everyone. If they helped everyone, then everyone would be using them. People that don't have problems with their putting stroke see it as an unfair advantage simply because they don't need one.

Does anyone really think that Tiger is concerned about the spirit of the game? He doesn't even believe in the sanctity of marriage.:D I would bet that he has tried every type of legal putter there is and found that they don't help him. He is out to win tournaments, so if a certain type of putter could help others to win but are useless to him, of course he would like to see them banned.

I think all the fuss about belly and long putters is because of the fact that they aren't good for everyone. If they helped everyone, then everyone would be using them. People that don't have problems with their putting stroke see it as an unfair advantage simply because they don't need one.

Are you implying that people who use belly putters have problems with their putting stroke?

Are you implying that people who use belly putters have problems with their putting stroke?

Not anymore. They had problems with their putting stroke.:D Seriously, I should have said that people that use them most likely do so because their putting improved with one. Then again, if I am missing too many putts, I would call that a problem.

I think folks who don't approve of belly putters, can take their anchors and stick em where the sun don't shine :bulgy-eyes:.

This has been a fun thread

It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to be "wristy" with a belly putter....the anchor point prevents you from breaking your wrists at all

I think folks who don't approve of belly putters, can take their anchors and stick em where the sun don't shine :bulgy-eyes:.

LMAO - QFT!

I am an anchorer with a beautiful belly putter and until the USGA bans it, it is in play and is the spirit of my game.

Belly putters FTW!

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Lets remember that Adam Scott is not exactly escaping by using a belly putter either. He is using the same putter that has been around for what seems like ever and never caused a stir. In fact we have pictures of Tiger Woods himself using it and laughing about it.

It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to be "wristy" with a belly putter....the anchor point prevents you from breaking your wrists at all

Curious if you have ever used one? Although much harder to get wristy, it is still possible. Belly putters don't eliminate the wrists, they just make it much more difficult to get wristy

False my good sir. I actually had that exact problem when I first started using mine.

Curious if you have ever used one? Although much harder to get wristy, it is still possible. Belly putters don't eliminate the wrists, they just make it much more difficult to get wristy

I think you're splitting hairs here with this question.

Ill be sad if they are banned. I planned on gaming a long putter after more left handed models became available.

If your wrist come into play with the belly putter there is something fundamentally wrong with the stroke. The long shaft anchored to your belly takes the hands out of play. If you are using your wrist you are not using the belly putter correctly. Wrist strokes are what cause the yips

Back