Are you for or against the anchored putter?

Are you for or against the anchored putter?

• Total voters
If your wrist come into play with the belly putter there is something fundamentally wrong with the stroke. The long shaft anchored to your belly takes the hands out of play. If you are using your wrist you are not using the belly putter correctly. Wrist strokes are what cause the yips

I'm not disputing any of that. All I was saying is that it is possible to improperly use a belly putter and get wristy.

I think David Duval should start using a belly putter so he will start winning again.

Like I said, when I first had my belly putter, I was a bit wristy. It was bad. Now I've changed it but I still have to be concious of not letting it happen.

How tall are you Damaikis? I've seen your videos and in my mind you are short, but you are using a 43.5" putter.

I wish I could spell the huge sigh I just had......I'm done with this twisted mess of post. You guys win, I give. Belly putters are here to stay and they are no easier than regular putters. Those that use them have no advantage of non users. Square grooves are no better than V grooves and adjustable drivers should be banned or wait not banned, I forget........

How tall are you Damaikis? I've seen your videos and in my mind you are short, but you are using a 43.5" putter.

I'm 5'8". And that's a miskate, my putter's 42.5" as I was fitted for by SeeMore.

I wish I could spell the huge sigh I just had......I'm done with this twisted mess of post. You guys win, I give. Belly putters are here to stay and they are no easier than regular putters. Those that use them have no advantage of non users. Square grooves are no better than V grooves and adjustable drivers should be banned or wait not banned, I forget........

You know Nike has the Drone in a belly :alien:

My belly is too big for a belly putter, so whatever Tiger decides is fine with me. If it helps him win and save golf if they're banned, it's probably for the best.

Kevin

I always wondered why people think it's unfair when they have every opportunity to get out and try using a belly putter for themselves. They aren't forced to use a 35 inch putter, they could very easily walk to the tour truck and say, make me a 44 inch putter. Belly putters aren't a magic elixir of any kind, Ernie Els still can't putt for crap.

Yet Ernie has said he will cheat as long as they let him.

Am I the only one that finds it extremely tacky that the best players in the world look for such an amateurish tactic? Probably so but I find it really tacky (only for pros).

The ironic part of this whole thread is the history. Where was the outcry when chest putters came into play? When Tim Clark won with one?

Or when Rocco won with one.

It was Tim Clark. We felt sorry for him

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

It was Tim Clark. We felt sorry for him

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

He is "chunky" shaped isn't he? And completely irrelevant. You two have a lot in common.

Yet Ernie has said he will cheat as long as they let him.

Am I the only one that finds it extremely tacky that the best players in the world look for such an amateurish tactic? Probably so but I find it really tacky (only for pros).

Yeah those darned pros and their 460cc drivers, hybrids, cavity irons and belly putters.

Yeah those darned pros and their 460cc drivers, hybrids, cavity irons and belly putters.

Nah, it's just the belly putters.

I know cookie has one, I was too wrists :D

Thank god. I really did not want to see it leave! :D

So, is there a rule or not? Advantage for the belly putter user? If yes to the advantage, my playing partners from Monday would respectfully disagree. LOL

In all seriousness I see this discussion continuing for several years by the ruling authorities but ultimately a rule change will not occur IMO.

Here is a photo from Pelz's book, Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, which was published in 1999. What a sly old fox he was, pimping a long putter because he knew he'd get an opportunity to sell them just 12 short years later. Brilliant!

post3953611974383601.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Are those balls spin balanced with the Pelz Ball Balancer available for 3 easy payments of $49.99? You can't make a putt without Pelz Ball Balancer, delivered to your door for just 3 easy payments of $49.99! Act now, and we'll throw in free undercoating for your putter, just pay $79.99 shipping and handling! Call now!

He's a huckster, pure and simple. He's not dangerous like Leadbetter, and if buying his schtick makes you happy I'm glad for you.

Anywho, the rule book says that the ball must be struck 'Fairly'.

[h=3]14-1. Ball to be Fairly Struck At [/h]The ball must be fairly struck at with the head of the club and must not be pushed, scraped or spooned.

I guess you could make an argument that an anchored stroke doesn't meet the criterion of 'Fairly', but it also doesn't appear to meet the criterion of 'Pushed, Scraped, Or Spooned' any more or less than any other putter.

Like it or not, belly putters or any putter that anchors to you removes the two biggest issues with standard putters, forearm rotation and wrist hinge. Like someone else stated, if you can break your wrists using a belly putter, you're doing something horribly wrong.

My big issue is swaying off the ball out of a narrow stance. Practicing with or using a broomstick really locks the body in. You also can't manipulate the clubhead through the stroke, so the read becomes more important.

I think it's all noise, and I'll continue to pull the 50 incher out several times a year when the short putters are in a well deserved time out.

Curious if you have ever used one? Although much harder to get wristy, it is still possible. Belly putters don't eliminate the wrists, they just make it much more difficult to get wristy

Yes, I have used one...one of my buddies I play with every weekend has a Nike Drone Belly....and all I can say if you are anchoring the putter and still manage to get wristy...WOW

False my good sir. I actually had that exact problem when I first started using mine.

See above.....I cant see how that can even happen.

If your wrist come into play with the belly putter there is something fundamentally wrong with the stroke. The long shaft anchored to your belly takes the hands out of play. If you are using your wrist you are not using the belly putter correctly. Wrist strokes are what cause the yips

Thank you Freddie! For you to get wristy with the belly putter, then the butt end would need to be moving back and forth and not anchored.

Honestly, I don't care either way......I just don't understand how people can't see that it is giving them an advantage that people using a conventional putter don't get. I am not say that it's a magic wand....you still have to read the green, get the speed right and start the ball on the correct line.....BUT, if does allow you to not worry about the 2 most common putting faults and concentrate on other aspects of your putting stroke.

That's all I am saying.

I am in different to it, If they ban it , then it should be for everyone. I personally use A 39inch spider, Im 510 tall. I lean the club against me at setup, but at the practice swing and final swing the club is not in contact with my bodY? I also use the left hand below the right hand swing. And put a line on my ball.Were would I go from here?

Before I used a belly putter It was the weakest part of my game, it isn't a game changer, but it helped me take my wrists out of play. I don't feel I hAve an advantage, my scores deffinatly don't reflect a difference.but it helps me at address and alignment, I really wouldn't like it if they banned them, but I would have to start all over again on my putting.

I think that there are many players who can/do benefit from the belly putter. I have at various times for many years but still go back to my trusted Scotty off and on each season. That being said, I was watching Philly Mick wield the flat stick today and the images of him trying a belly putter late last year just goes to show you that it's not for everybody. If it was that much of an advantage and fool-proof, wouldn't just about everyone use one?

The fact is, one must still be able to read the greens, have the correct line/pace, etc. The "purists" out there who call this method of putting illegal have no issues playing 460cc drivers with adjustable settings. Was this what Bobby Jones had in mind when he played? The golf balls are juiced--rendering our classic courses nearly obsolete. Is this what Old Tom Morris envisioned as being "traditional" when he was playing the Old Course?

Time creates change and innovation. We still play with 14 clubs in our bags and the guy/gal with the most talent normally has the greatest chance of winning. I feel that the belly putter is here to stay. Only ONE major has been won using it. Golf is hard and taking away this method of putting from the weekend hacker (and no, I don't want two sets of rules for pros vs amateurs ie conforming grooves) will only serve to shrink an already eroding populace of golfers who play more than 10 rounds/year.

Back