Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but from the Natty to two seasons like they have had and just how bad they've looked in some spots the last two years is shocking. I'm and OU guy and hate Texas with a passion most of the year but they shouldn't have season's like they have the last two. I'd rather have a strong Texas than a weak one, good for the conference and the rivalry.

I just hope people don't sleep on OSU with the loss of Blackmon and Weeden, Gundy has got that ugly orange thing rolling and I can safely say having been through the entire facility at coaches clinics, if I was a kid and toured it I would be blown away. Boone's $$$ has done wonders from when I went to school there.

Agree with this, JMAN. I'm a Mizzou grad but almost went to TX so I would like to see them do well out of the remaining Big 12 teams. Sad part is, they have been pathetic the last 2 years.

Touche. I agree they've fallen hard in the past two years. They need to figure out a way to compete again.

Ha. I love you saying "that ugly orange thing." That's awesome! I went to the OU Bama game in Tuscaloosa. I think most people who went to either game in Normon or Tuscaloosa had an appreciation for OU football.

I'd have loved to have gotten to watch OU/Bama live, those are two schools where football is a culture.

Of course around here there is a group that want Stoops fired for a 10 win season. People crack me up sometimes.

I'd have loved to have gotten to watch OU/Bama live, those are two schools where football is a culture.

Of course around here there is a group that want Stoops fired for a 10 win season. People crack me up sometimes.

Yeah. People are crazy sometimes. I was disappointed in OU agains OKST though. Looked like they just laid down. Of course, at the time I had a motive for wanting OKST to lose. Haha.

Yeah. People are crazy sometimes. I was disappointed in OU agains OKST though. Looked like they just laid down. Of course, at the time I had a motive for wanting OKST to lose. Haha.

I know right? Sad thing is I called it from week 1, OSU just really was tremendous this year. Plus, when Broyles and Whaley got hurt it just crumbled. Landry lost his outlet valves, that why you need a stud TE, which we did NOT have. Maybe this year. hahaha

Touche. I agree they've fallen hard in the past two years. They need to figure out a way to compete again.

Ha. I love you saying "that ugly orange thing." That's awesome! I went to the OU Bama game in Tuscaloosa. I think most people who went to either game in Normon or Tuscaloosa had an appreciation for OU football.

A lot of things went wrong the season after McCoy. Gilbert didn't step in and the fan base turned on him, some of it was fair some of it wasn't.

The defense is still performing at a high level and with improved qb and oline play they aren't far off.

A lot of things went wrong the season after McCoy. Gilbert didn't step in and the fan base turned on him, some of it was fair some of it wasn't.

The defense is still performing at a high level and with improved qb and oline play they aren't far off.

I dunno dude, those two QB's are just brutal IMO. The badass HB's can only bail you out so much. I personally really try to have hope for Case as I'm and OU guy who is a McCoy fan (who wouldn't be, great dang kids) but its all about the QB for Texas. Plus, I think your OC is a joke, the Boise stuff doesn't work every week down here.

Like I said though, I'd much rather see Texas where it should be than where they are right now.

I dunno dude, those two QB's are just brutal IMO. The badass HB's can only bail you out so much. I personally really try to have hope for Case as I'm and OU guy who is a McCoy fan (who wouldn't be, great dang kids) but its all about the QB for Texas. Plus, I think your OC is a joke, the Boise stuff doesn't work every week down here.

Like I said though, I'd much rather see Texas where it should be than where they are right now.

I think if Ash calms down and realizes he isn't VY he will be a decent QB. Case just doesn't have the arm to do it. I would rather they get rid of Applewhite than Harsin.

I think if Ash calms down and realizes he isn't VY he will be a decent QB. Case just doesn't have the arm to do it. I would rather they get rid of Applewhite than Harsin.

All in all I think I'm one of the few OU fans who will admit to being a Mack Brown fan, but that's because I've heard him speak at two clinics I think and actually got to chat with him, very cool guy who had no problem with me shaking his hand while wearing my Crimson hahahahaha

Right now I just wish the 12-2-1+1-1+1 would look to expand now, go after Louisville and someone else. Get back to 12.

Texas F'd up and they admitted it last season when the Gilbert project came to an end. Coming out of HS, Gilbert was a 5 start kid that could of gone anywhere he wanted. He gave Texas the early commit and Texas basically told him they were handing him the keys to the bus when Colt left. They didn't recruit any other kids at QB because it was going to be him or bust. Well, we all know how that ended. Mack has since, in a round about way, taken the blame for that move and putting all his eggs in one basket. David Ash, who basically started the 2nd half of the season was suppose to redshirt this year (due to Gilbert being the man thought). Mack hates putting freshman QB in to play and starting them is even a bigger no no. I can't remember the last time he's done that. But he was forced to last year and this is what we got.

Now with the old staff gone and the new staff in, they have definately taken the approach of "eggs in one basket" out the door. Texas will have 3 RB's next year (2 soph and 1 fresh) that could start at any program. They added Brewer this year and are looking at another 2 QB's in the 2013 class. Ash will be given the keys to the bus next year and it's still not what the staff wanted to do to the kid. However, Bama showed us this last year that if you have a good team around a young QB, you can still win. Ash doesn't have to be great, but he needs to be better than the freshman we saw last year. Yes, OU has had our number these last 2 years. This game goes in cycles like this. Hope the cycle can reverse this year! Although Landry seems to play his best game of the year on that day.

Will Texas be in the National Title hunt in 2012....probably not. But I think people will catch some glimpes of what this team might end up being in another year from now.

Texas F'd up and they admitted it last season when the Gilbert project came to an end. Coming out of HS, Gilbert was a 5 start kid that could of gone anywhere he wanted. He gave Texas the early commit and Texas basically told him they were handing him the keys to the bus when Colt left. They didn't recruit any other kids at QB because it was going to be him or bust. Well, we all know how that ended. Mack has since, in a round about way, taken the blame for that move and putting all his eggs in one basket. David Ash, who basically started the 2nd half of the season was suppose to redshirt this year (due to Gilbert being the man thought). Mack hates putting freshman QB in to play and starting them is even a bigger no no. I can't remember the last time he's done that. But he was forced to last year and this is what we got.

Now with the old staff gone and the new staff in, they have definately taken the approach of "eggs in one basket" out the door. Texas will have 3 RB's next year (2 soph and 1 fresh) that could start at any program. They added Brewer this year and are looking at another 2 QB's in the 2013 class. Ash will be given the keys to the bus next year and it's still not what the staff wanted to do to the kid. However, Bama showed us this last year that if you have a good team around a young QB, you can still win. Ash doesn't have to be great, but he needs to be better than the freshman we saw last year. Yes, OU has had our number these last 2 years. This game goes in cycles like this. Hope the cycle can reverse this year! Although Landry seems to play his best game of the year on that day.

Will Texas be in the National Title hunt in 2012....probably not. But I think people will catch some glimpes of what this team might end up being in another year from now.

Landry is a mental case, who really ever knows who will show up LOL. Look at the OSU/OU game! HA!

On the last part, I agree, Texas will be fine and frankly its like I said, I like it better when they are good, and I'm an OU guy.

Nate, just curious here, but do you think Mack Brown is what Texas needs, or do you think it's time for Texas to have a change at the Head Coach position?

Landry is a mental case, who really ever knows who will show up LOL. Look at the OSU/OU game! HA!

On the last part, I agree, Texas will be fine and frankly its like I said, I like it better when they are good, and I'm an OU guy.
Yep, like it or not, usually the winner of the game is in the title hunt at the end. When the other team is good but loses the game, they usually hang out in the top 10 by the end of the season. That bodes well for the other teams SOS. But it makes my ticket scalping come game time a bit harder to do. Ha!

Nate, just curious here, but do you think Mack Brown is what Texas needs, or do you think it's time for Texas to have a change at the Head Coach position?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I think Mack is still a great fit. He runs the program, and gives a lot of responsibility to his coordinators. There have been a lot of changes in the staff the last few years and I think it has improved the program.

Interesting question. What Mack has done at UT during his time here is unreal when you really think about it. He's made UT the top earning football program in the nation by a big margin. He was one of the first coaches to start getting junior HS players to make verbal commits to Texas before others jumped in on that process. Now, if your a HS kid in Texas, UT is one of your top 2 choices. That is all Mack's doing. There is a reason kids choose to go to Texas and Mack is a big reason. What's funny is Sally, Mack's wife, plays a huge part in that recruiting process. From what I hear, she really gets in and gets to know the parents and becomes friends with them.

Now let's talk gameday. I think Mack holds his own. I don't think he's great and I dont' think he's terrible. He's been outcoached many times and he's outcoached others too. Till last seaon, after the loss to OU, Texas was something like 9-0 in games after losing to OU. That's pretty bigtime doing that after a loss to a big time rival. People have been yelling for years for the Davis fire. Well it finally happened but now we don't have a QB. Figures. But if you ask me today if I think Mack's time is over and someone else needs to be in there? No. I think the fire is lit in his belly again and his new staff is really ready to prove something. We all know Texas has the talent, most of the time, it's just a matter of getting them to play as a team. That's Mack's job once the season starts.

Rumor also coming out today is that West Virginia and the Big East have reached an agreement and that the Big 12 will pay half of their exit fees. The Big 12 schedule was suppose to be released today but is now delayed because of this news. Appears WV will be in the Big 12 next year.

Rumor also coming out today is that West Virginia and the Big East have reached an agreement and that the Big 12 will pay half of their exit fees. The Big 12 schedule was suppose to be released today but is now delayed because of this news. Appears WV will be in the Big 12 next year.

This would be very smart on the BigXII to do IMO. Will make the season a WHOLE lot more interesting in conference too.

Get it done and start looking for two more dammit!

This would be very smart on the BigXII to do IMO. Will make the season a WHOLE lot more interesting in conference too.

Get it done and start looking for two more dammit!
They are really trying to get ND to make the move. The rumors have died down some from last year but I'm sure they are whispering sweet nothings into their ear still. Big 12 doesn't look like it's going anywhere now.

They are really trying to get ND to make the move. The rumors have died down some from last year but I'm sure they are whispering sweet nothings into their ear still. Big 12 doesn't look like it's going anywhere now.

I'd honestly like to see Louisville too, can't really tell you why, but I would.

Anyone in the Dallas or Texas area plan on going to the Alabama Michigan game at Jerry's house?

HERE IS A QUESTION FOR YOU...

Where do you see Missouri and Texas A&M falling in the SEC ranks.. Personally, I think they'll be smack in the center of mediocrity (6-6 or maybe 7-5). Another question here is adding up to 14 teams, will this water down the bottom 4 teams? I.e. Will we see two or three SEC teams finish 2-10? or 3-9?

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread. I guess my last post was a bit of a hit and run!

As for Mizzou, I don't seem them competing for too many SEC titles (at least not in football). They'll be in the East and should be competitive in most games. Year in and year out, I just don't see them beating South Carolina (as long as Steve is coaching) and Georgia very often. Also, the Vols and Gators have programs that are too good to stay down for long.

How Texas A&M fares in the SEC, I feel, depends a great deal on how recruits feel about them being in the SEC. They are smack in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, and if those recruits feel like the SEC is the place to be (and the recent stranglehold on the BCS Championship could impact some opinions) then A&M could possibly load up with players talented enough to compete with anyone. The coaches also have to do their jobs, and this could be where A&M falls short at first. Of course, Texas A&M playing in the SEC could just provide Texas area recruits with increased exposure to the likes of Arkansas, Alabama, LSU and others in the SEC West, resulting in the rich just getting richer. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Exactly! I posted my realignment awhile back in this thread using geography. Put bama and auburn in the east and the newcomers in the west with Kentucky or vandy.

That makes too much sense for them to do such a thing. It's silly that Mizzou, Arkansas' nearest SEC opponent and the league's 3rd western-most team, will play in the same division as Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. Oh well, at least it's not as geographically crazy as the new Big East...

14562573.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back