Has the 5-wood made a comeback?

I tried a 5 wood this year but the ball went very high and not very far. I was getting the same distance with my 4 hybrid that is 5 degrees weaker.

I hit my 5 wood pretty much the exact same difference as my 2 hybrid and I have a pretty high ball flight with it.

I hit it right where I'm aiming too but the one thing that bugs me is that it looks like a fade every single time I hit it pretty much. Always starts out to the left before coming back right to the middle for some reason.

Lots of pros use them... yes. I was sharing my dad's opinion that players hit irons. I somewhat agree... the REAL players hit irons but lots of players hit hybrids for the reasons you stated.
With all due respect, I have to disagree with you and your dad and Im pretty sure most tour pros would as well. Theyd probably laugh at the notion that, "real" players hit irons.

Lots of pros use them... yes. I was sharing my dad's opinion that players hit irons. I somewhat agree... the REAL players hit irons but lots of players hit hybrids for the reasons you stated.

REAL players? You're a hoot.

Kevin

I could be wrong but I guess that I always felt like people had begun to favor 17* hybrids over 5-woods. I personally always hated 5-woods back in the late '90s when I first picked up golf and have been struggling with hybrids for the past 10 years.
Today I was at the pro shop looking at the used section and gave a few 5-woods a shot. I ended up finding that I could hit a 5-wood much better than a 20* hybrid and ended up walking out with a 5-wood today.
Im not going to complain about a club that I can consistently hit dead straight and 200 yards off the deck. I just hope that 200 yards on the simulator translates into 200 yards in the real world.

What's going on in here? I was busy hitting my forged blade 2iron!

LOL

Tough crowds tonight. It must be a full moon or something. THP is wound tight!

LOL
You wish. You're just a wannabe.

I just boughrt a new 5 wood today. It has been 10 years or so since Ilast carried one, but Ihave never found a hybrid Icould hit consistently. I think it depends on your swing - if you are more of a sweeper, then woods may fit your swing better than hybrids. Ithink hybrids are a little more dependable out of the rough, though. Ihave also become very good at hitting hybrids out o ffairway bunkers, and I don't yet know how the 5 wood will compare there.

LOL

Not everyone is as real as you.

Kevin

I dropped my 3-wood for my TM Raylor. It plays more like a cross between a 5w or 1i for me. I can squeeze 230+ out of it and my 4i gets me 215-220, so I don't have a need for a 3w anymore. If not for my Raylor, I would definitely play a 5w over a 3w though.

I abandoned my 3W for a 5W. Distance is extremely similar, mishits are down, accuracy is up....it's been an all around good move for me.

I have a US Kids Golf ( yeah, yeah, I know) 19* 5 wood and I love it. I hit it just right for most of the par 3's on my home course. When I outgrow it it will be a sad, sad day… and then I'll go get a new shaft put in it. World's greatest club ( besides my 3 wood)!

LOL

LOL......That's it! I'm selling my hybrids and breaking out my old Spalding persimmon woods and irons....

REAL players!

I think I'm bagging a 7 wood in the Morgan Cup.

I've really been thinking about a 5w for the past month or so. Add a 5w, take out 3i, and add another wedge? I just need my own personal launch monitor or range. Would be tweaking distances all day...

I dont think they really went away for people who carry a full bag. I have carried one since I bought my first full set of clubs. One of the guys I used to play casual rounds with dubbed my old 5 wood the "magic 5 wood". It was too, you could hit the thing out of any lie almost anywhere and hit a good shot for the lie you were in.

Now with hybrids in the bag I don't always put the 5 wood in the bag. I don't know how to put it other than that since buying the hybrids the 5 metal sees a lot less work. The hybrids seem easier to hit out of poor lies than the R11 does.

Only real players play 5 woods.

Ask One-T.

This is one of my favorite videos of all time.

I just ordered a 5 wood from gigagolf

Back