TaylorMade Irons CB vs. RBZ

apetersen

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the process of purchasing a new set of irons and have cut my options down to the TaylorMade RBZ and CB irons. I am a 15 handicap and want to know if I should go with RBZ considering it is a game improvement club or the forged CB. I am worried the if I purchase the RBZ in a year or two I will need to purchase a forged club due to the fact that I outgrew the game improvement RBZ. I guess what I am asking is should I go with the CB, and force myself the play good golf with them or go with the RBZ and play good golf now and purchase forged clubs later. Any help is greatly appreciated, please give your honest opinion. Please correct me if I am wrong about any of the above irons. Overall, I just want to improve and have fun with the game.

Honestly, go hit them and play what feels better and what the numbers show. People get way too caught up in "game improvement". We have a low single handicapper testing these, and he hits them quite well and has already shot in the low 70s with the RBZs. Any level of golfer can play the RBZs. I wouldn't focus so much on what "category" they're in. Go hit them both, see which one performs better and feels better to you. Then, go with those and be confident with them. At a 15 handicap I think you should really give the RBZs a hard look, they are truly great.

Honestly, go hit them and play what feels better and what the numbers show. People get way too caught up in "game improvement". We have a low single handicapper testing these, and he hits them quite well and has already shot in the low 70s with the RBZs. Any level of golfer can play the RBZs. I wouldn't focus so much on what "category" they're in. Go hit them both, see which one performs better and feels better to you. Then, go with those and be confident with them. At a 15 handicap I think you should really give the RBZs a hard look, they are truly great.

+1 on everything here.

Agreed. Let the numbers talk and don't worry about the category of the club.

Do you want to enjoy the game now? The CB is still considered a game improvement iron. The r 11 is the replacement for the cb . The rbz irons imho are similar from 6-pw in performance. If you don't want help in the 4-5 irons then just get the cb or r11 irons.

Do you want to enjoy the game now? The CB is still considered a game improvement iron. The r 11 is the replacement for the cb . The rbz irons imho are similar from 6-pw in performance. If you don't want help in the 4-5 irons then just get the cb or r11 irons.

Just want to point out this is incorrect.

The long irons will not get much use because I have always hit my hybrid longer and more accurate. So what your saying is the RBZ and CB are very similar from the 6i and above?

The long irons will not get much use because I have always hit my hybrid longer and more accurate. So what your saying is the RBZ and CB are very similar from the 6i and above?

No, they are both going to feel different, they're designed different. What we're saying is you can't really know which will work better for you without going and actually trying them.

The CB is actually not a true forged iron. The face is forged and welded onto the mostly cast head. It helps give it the feel of forged but allows more forgiveness, similar to the diablo edge forged irons. The RBZ's are bombers and are built to give distance and forgiveness. The CB is forgiving enough but I'm gonna call it a bit more of a practical iron with closer to traditional standards as far as loft and length. Both are fine options, choose the one that can give you the most out of what you want in your irons.

Forged vs the RBZ are two different types of clubs. As people said, definitely go hit them both and see what you think. Playing a forged iron is going to give you more feedback and let you feel what the ball is doing vs the RBZ, but at the same time, some of the testers have said they can really feel the ball coming off the face of the RBZs. Personally, I tried some Cobra forged, RBZ and Burner 2.0s, and I could really feel the ball coming off the Cobras, especially on mis-hits, versus the RBZ and Burners.

So, if you really want that feedback, maybe go with the CBs. If you want more forgiveness, go with the RBZs. But really, go hit both. You never know what your swing and game will tell you about the club until you experience it yourself.

No, they are both going to feel different, they're designed different. What we're saying is you can't really know which will work better for you without going and actually trying them.

I did hit both 6i and hit them basically about the same in the electronic range but when I would hit the CB's well there was not comparison

I did hit both 6i and hit them basically about the same in the electronic range but when I would hit the CB's well there was not comparison

It's a good start, though I wouldn't compare just one iron from each set.

Are you sure? Tm discontinued the cb and replaced it with the r11 is what we were told.

The TP line (MB,MC,CB) are separate from the R11 line. Thats not to say they're not similar, but last time I talked to our merchandiser about ordering irons, the CB's were still an option and so were the R11.

When hitting the irons the only large difference in performance is that the RBZ was much more forgiving, am I correct in saying performance wise the RBZ is much more forgiving and the CB is going to five you much more feel

When hitting the irons the only large difference in performance is that the RBZ was much more forgiving, am I correct in saying performance wise the RBZ is much more forgiving and the CB is going to five you much more feel

I'd say thats generally correct. However so far all the testers in the RBZ thread report that they have awesome feel with the RBZs. I've never hit the CB's , so can't comment there.

I haven't hit the RBZs yet, but I currently have the TM TP CBs and love them. I was in a little bit of the same state of mind in that I didn't want to get a super game improvement iron and then feel like it wasn't the right club for me as I bettered myself and my game. I felt like the CBs gave me great performance now and will continue that as I improve.

Back