Few things... I need serious answers

JF

Reaction score
My dad and I were talking about equipment last night and I found we have some seriously different point of views on how equipment affects your game. I had good explanations for my points, but I don't feel I have enough expertise to give him a thorough answer. I'd really appreciate a quick response as to what I can say to counter the following statements:

It makes zero difference what ball you use. You'll shoot the same with the ProV1 you obsess over or the old Top Flite in my bag.

Fitting makes no difference. Only a tour pro could care even though it really makes no difference there because they are so good.

As long as you have the right shaft flex the shaft doesn't matter, and a good player could use any flex.

Hybrids are pointless because you should learn to hit an iron.

You only need one wedge past your pitching wedge because you can just open the face.

Grooves aren't important if you are a good ball striker.

Any electronic device is a completely unnecessary commodity that only snobs use.

Knock offs are just as good as the real ones.

The club doesn't matter at all. It's all in your head, it's 100% swing.

Irons are irons and there's no difference between those fat ones and the expensive blades the pros use.

I know it's a lot of work but I really appreciate it guys! No disrespect will be taken at all. I completely disagree with all of this.

Last edited:
My dad and I were talking about equipment last night and I found we have some seriously different point of views on how equipment affects your game. I had good explanations for my points, but I don't feel I have enough expertise to give him a thorough answer. I'd really appreciate a quick response as to what I can say to counter the following statements:

It makes zero difference what ball you use. You'll shoot the same with the ProV1 you obsess over or the old Top Flite in my bag.

Fitting makes no difference. Only a tour pro could care even though it really makes no difference there because they are so good.

As long as you have the right shaft flex the shaft doesn't matter, and a good player could use any flex.

You only need one wedge past your pitching wedge because you can just open the face.

Any electronic device is a completely unnecessary commodity that only snobs use.

The club doesn't matter at all. It's all in your head, it's 100% swing.

I know it's a lot of work but I really appreciate it guys!

Dude Im not even going to answer this post in fear of "offending you", I think that should give you a good idea.

You're dad has a lot to learn.

Oh boy! Here we go. This is going to go over like a turd in the punch bowl! :act-up:

Dude Im not even going to answer this post in fear of "offending you", I think that should give you a good idea.

I completely disagree with all except the hybrid one which I somewhat agree with. I won't be offended dude, trust me.

MAybe take one or two of the comments and find a response on here via an interview with an industry expert and offer that as so basis of an answer to your dad. Chances are he is set in his thinking so it might take a few to convince him.

LOL @ your dad. Wowzers. I sure am glad you were debating some of these with him b/c I would hate to know that he was teaching you these things and you were actually taking them to heart. Is he like living in 1940 or something? It makes me never want to play golf in Michigan.

Wow just wow

I completely disagree with all except the hybrid one which I somewhat agree with. I won't be offended dude, trust me.

I wasnt sure since it is your dad so I didnt basically want to say he is wrong in every aspect. But ya everything on that list is just crazy.

I like your dad. Did he grow up during the depression? Fight in WWII? Does he hate midgets?

Kevin

Glad you know better. Your game could've suffered significantly had you believed him.

LOL @ your dad. Wowzers. I sure am glad you were debating some of these with him b/c I would hate to know that he was teaching you these things and you were actually taking them to heart. Is he like living in 1940 or something? It makes me never want to play golf in Michigan.

He's been pushing this stuff on my ever since I started and I've never believed a word. Living in 1940? No. 1992? Yes.

I like your dad. Did he grow up during the depression? Fight in WWII? Does he hate midgets?

Kevin

Hahaha... Nope he's 42. If you think like that too I'd be happy to switch to lefty and take over your MC bag!

He's been pushing this stuff on my ever since I started and I've never believed a word. Living in 1940? No. 1992? Yes.

I would never talk equipment or golf with him. Just tell him, "dad, you have your stance and i have mine. I'm on this thing called the internet where i can conduct my own research".

False, different balls have different spin and compression rates. Depending on your swing speed and face angle, the ball with have major differences.

Everyone has a different swing and stance. If the same club fit everyone, we wouldn't see such a variation in the market or options available.

Shafts have different kick points which makes a difference depending on your swing speed.

Hybrids help the ball get up quicker.

Opening the face chances a lot of things in including face angle, launch angle, and turf interaction.

Grooves help with spin, no matter how good you are, if there's nothing to grip the ball, you're not going to generate a lot of spin.

IMO these are great for average golfers as they can help with slow play and put players on the same playing field when they don't know the course.

This breaks down to build quality and materials used.

I gave very simple answers obviously, might not be as informative as you want, but just shows how easily these can be disproved.

Those are some pretty terrible and ignorant statements. I think the worst one has to be Knock offs are just as good as the real ones.

Knock offs are made as cheaply as possible so the amount and quality of materials in the clubs are a lot less/lower than what an OEM will put in since their goal is to make a good working club and not just a good looking club.

Unless he's just talking about the cheap Wal Mart branded clubs?

Hahaha... Nope he's 42. If you think like that too I'd be happy to switch to lefty and take over your MC bag!

Sh1t that's the same ate as me! And I think all of that is nonsense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think like that, maybe a little bit on a couple of them, but I enjoy a grouchy old man. Grouchy old men get a pass because of their entertainment value. Think of how grouchy your old man will be by the time he's 75 or 80. He'll be an American treasure.

Kevin

That's all?
My dad's quite a bit older and he wouldn't agree with any of those

I would never talk equipment or golf with him. Just tell him, "dad, you have your stance and i have mine. I'm on this thing called the internet where i can conduct my own research".

You should have heard the conversation when I bought my Jpx-800S. all this got brought up because we were at the golf show yesterday. I try to stay away from the topic with him.

Tell your dad that the ball matters, because the materials are different per ball. Materials act differently.

Custom fittings can help any golfer simply because heights and arm lengths differ from one person to the next. So swings also differ.

Hybrids add forgiveness to very unforgiving clubs. If the number 1 player in the world plays a hybrid, your dad should also think about it. If your dad is so concerned with ball striking ability, tell him to get rid of his 5wood and put a 2-iron in his bag.

There is no flex standard. The shaft's flex is only relative to that specific shaft line.

Good players rely on timing so much. They need the shaft to deliver the club to the ball at a certain time with the help of their swing. Change any part of that equation, and the results change.

Have your dad go tell Phil that he should only carry one wedge above his PW. Because apparently Phil doesn't know what he's doing. Some people address the gaps between the longest clubs in their bag, some people address the gaps between the shortest clubs. Neither is a right answer.

As fas as the knock offs go, go grab an old sneaker, write "Titleist 910D2" on it and put a broom stick into it. Tell your dad that is a knock off Titleist, but is should perform the exact same.

Kevin

I don't think like that, maybe a little bit on a couple of them, but I enjoy a grouchy old man. Grouchy old men get a pass because of their entertainment value. Think of how grouchy your old man will be by the time he's 75 or 80. He'll be an American treasure.

Kevin
All of these made me LOL, Kevin you are an American Treasure.

Think of how grouchy your old man will be by the time he's 75 or 80. He'll be an American treasure.

Kevin

This is the funniest thing ive read on thp all week.

Back