Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

My fitting was rescheduled for Monday at 11. Will have tons of updates after that.

Just got done with quite a bit of short game practice, and then played 9 holes. Course is quite damp but overall I don't think the wetness effected my ball striking, but it is just hard to get an idea of how much roll or spin I am getting on some shots because the ball just plugs. Anyhow, it wasn't the greatest day out there. I hit some amazing shots, and I had a push that is creeping back into my swing a little. The one thing I absolutely LOVE about my new course is that I now have a driving range, which I didn't have at the course I was previously a member at, so once I was done I was able to head over to the range and I think I got it all figured out within a few swings. My swing still seems to be on plane by watching some video I took so I couldn't really figure it out until I realized that I was just keeping my lower body WAY too still. On my backswing my hips didn't turn at all, so then on the downswing they were just getting too far ahead of my upper body and I was blocking myself out. As soon as I figured that out on the range I was hitting some nice piercing shots with the driver. Overall it wasn't a bad day, I hit a lot more good shots than I did bad ones, and my short game is continuing to improve. I hit a couple chips and pitches that I would have been nervous to hit before because there was absolutely no green to work with, and I was able to put it close. I no longer get nervous and decelerate on my downswing. I'm going to be starting my lessons within the next month, so things should only get better from here!

My fitting was rescheduled for Monday at 11. Will have tons of updates after that.

where are you getting that done again? Is it Cyprian Keys - the place that used to be a Callaway Performance Center?

where are you getting that done again? Is it Cyprian Keys - the place that used to be a Callaway Performance Center?

Going to Golftec - I've been there a few times and I trust the fitter - his name is Ryan and he really knows my swing well and gives great advice.

Yesterday it did take me awhile to get in the swing of things, so to speak. However, I was able to bring my new game to the course for about half the round and I was really pleased with what I saw having not been on the course in some time. The distance gains I've seen during practice are there outside as well, which is important to me right now. Worked hard on a straight ball at my last lesson and that's what I hit for the most part. Some little draws mixed in.

The two things I was most pleased with were: Driver and putting. Putting stats won't show it, but I felt I was really good on the greens. I was decisive, stuck to my routine, and hit my lines. Just ended up short due to the shag carpet and that doesn't bother me.

As for the weaknesses/improvements:

Getting to quick upstairs cost me bad shots.
Short game lacks touch.
I did a piss poor job of sticking to my plan (staying in the present, not peeking at the score, thinking ahead or behind the current shot).
Conditioning - I damn near couldn't walk by the end of the round. I suppose I need to exercise a bit or just walk more.

Great info Hawk. As you play more it'll be more and more habit!

Great info Hawk. As you play more it'll be more and more habit!

It will for sure. That's why I started working in January. By the time I can post scores I figure I'll have a lot of the growing pains ironed out.

Had my first lesson with my new pro. It was fantastic! I think this is really going to help my game a lot.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I went to the gym.

Had my first time out on the course for the season. It was a beautiful 40 degrees at tee time. Oddly enough we had to drive about 35 miles north to get to a course that was open. Now I've been playing in a simulator for the last few weeks so I thought I would hit the ball ok. I started off pretty well, I hit the first 3 fairways and 3 of the first 4 greens in regulation. Had one really bad shot with a mashie that got away from me and I had to take a drop because of it. With a 1 putt there I was able to save a double. Other than that I had what I would call a successful day for the first 9 holes of the year. I hit 5 of 7 fairways, with the other 2 being just off. I did have 2 3 putts on the round which while it may normally drive me nuts, today not so much because some greens were like putting on carpet. Had some good looks at birdie that didn't drop too. I was pretty happy to walk off with a 41(+5).

Had my first time out on the course for the season. It was a beautiful 40 degrees at tee time. Oddly enough we had to drive about 35 miles north to get to a course that was open. Now I've been playing in a simulator for the last few weeks so I thought I would hit the ball ok. I started off pretty well, I hit the first 3 fairways and 3 of the first 4 greens in regulation. Had one really bad shot with a mashie that got away from me and I had to take a drop because of it. With a 1 putt there I was able to save a double. Other than that I had what I would call a successful day for the first 9 holes of the year. I hit 5 of 7 fairways, with the other 2 being just off. I did have 2 3 putts on the round which while it may normally drive me nuts, today not so much because some greens were like putting on carpet. Had some good looks at birdie that didn't drop too. I was pretty happy to walk off with a 41(+5).

Must have been great just to be outside. Should only be a month and half or so for me. Not to bad a round either if you ask me Captain!

well it rained here starting at 4am and didn't stop till almost noon...to wet to do anything....I called they didn't even have the range open...guess my work today will be Tiger Woods 2012 on the Wii with the Chicken Stick controller :laughing:

Got a 7:30 tee time for tomorrow, will probably play 36 with a range session and lunch in between the rounds.

Still winter in NW Ohio. Looks like the the weather is changing slowly. But yet again I plugged away in the "Pit of Readiness". Worked on 10 foot putts today for about and hour. After that I did my weight workout followed up by 8 mins on the punching bag. Starting to get the feel for the bag. So, I'm thinking I can try to hit 10 mins with it next week. The other day I realized that I can actually swing an iron in my basement without hitting the ceiling. After doing my punching bag workout, I decided to swing an iron. I grabbed my 3 iron with my TM speed sleeve on it and swung it 30 times. The only rest I had in between the weights and bag was putting the hand wraps and boxing gloves on. And the only rest I had between the bag and speed sleeve was taking the boxing gloves off and hand wraps off. I can't wait for the weather to change. It so close to being nice enough here that it's frustrating to look outside and think I could play. Then walk outside and freeze your butt off. It's gut wrenching.

The pit of readiness freaks me the hell out.

I got to hit balls outside again. Looking forward to the next lesson this week. Still hot and cold with the swing, but no surprise there. I need more Tiger reps.

I got to practice putting and chipping on a real green for a long time and that pretty much ruled. I'm happy with the way I'm rolling the ball and looking foward to getting the MC putter in my hands.

The pit of readiness freaks me the hell out.

I got to hit balls outside again. Looking forward to the next lesson this week. Still hot and cold with the swing, but no surprise there. I need more Tiger reps.

I got to practice putting and chipping on a real green for a long time and that pretty much ruled. I'm happy with the way I'm rolling the ball and looking foward to getting the MC putter in my hands.
Great update Hawk, being on a real green must have been awesome after all that time indoors on fake grass.

THis weekend for me was a wonderful family weekend, but today I am going on and playing 18 and then I am meeting a fellow lefty THP'er on the range at Bear Mountain to hit SCOR wedges for a long long time, and it will be all short game work with those wedges.

Have fun on the mountain, Breeze!

Hit em well breezy!

I'm golfing today too. My goal is to shoot par or better and have at least 4 birdies. I'm tired of messing around with GIR's and not scoring. Today it gets real!

Nice! Hope your round is enjoyable as well, TC.

Have fun on the mountain, Breeze!

Hit em well breezy!

I'm golfing today too. My goal is to shoot par or better and have at least 4 birdies. I'm tired of messing around with GIR's and not scoring. Today it gets real!
Thanks Boys, TC have a great day out there, I see a 70 in your future today. I feel the same way about not scoring, I had 6 makeable birdie putts my last round and only made one of them. Thats just not good enough.

Today the goals are:
- 10 or greater GIR
- 3 birdies
- Break 80

My pro worked on 3 things with me this past Saturday.
1. Releasing the club head. I was not rolling my hands over and this was causing me to hit a little fade.
2. Getting quick at the top of my swing which is causing me to come over the top at times.
3. My shoulders and chest were way in front of my arms/hands causing me to block a lot of shots.

I am just plain out of sync. Once I get myself synced up again and releasing the club head like I am supposed to, I will be hitting some good golf shots again.

My pro worked on 3 things with me this past Saturday.
1. Releasing the club head. I was not rolling my hands over and this was causing me to hit a little fade.
2. Getting quick at the top of my swing which is causing me to come over the top at times.
3. My shoulders and chest were way in front of my arms/hands causing me to block a lot of shots.

I am just plain out of sync. Once I get myself synced up again and releasing the club head like I am supposed to, I will be hitting some good golf shots again.

Glad you got to get your lessons on, Seth. The last two are something I deal with as well. Basically doing things in the wrong order some times.

I played yesterday. I've been taking alot of the advice in here to heart. I don't over do it on my range time and it kinda helped. My score didnt portray how I played yesterday (+21 hahaha). Duffed 1 iron shot, 1 driver and all my 3w's (4 of them). Chipped well, only 1 3 putt and once I got the speed of the greens was going to town with the Bettinardi.

Rather than revert to old habits I'm keeping with the changes I put into effect and just waiting for Saturday's lesson. My problem yesterday was distance control and it really hurt my scores. With just one change I think I've put on 1/2 to 1 club of distance with my irons. it's insane. I've never had a 155 yard 8i as my for sure range. I pushed it to 160 and my 9i to close to 150 at times. That sore 43* was about 135-140 which is a bit longer than I expected. Putting me off the green 2x and once way past the hole. But both right ona line with a baby draw.

Anyway, so excited with what's happening. My off the tee was horrid as far as control but only 2 hooks (out of 14) and 1 duff. Once I get my swing right with my instructor I have a feeling I might play better than my handicap shows. My short came is solid again with the only part left I have to fix is distance control and stopping that 1 or 2 lapse in setup I have per round.

That was long winded but Im so got dang excited right now.

Good to hear, Tmex. I'm with you on the distance control thing. No clue what to expect right now and the cold weather/wind makes it even more confusing.

Do you have any sort of routine you use to get your setup where it needs to be? I do for the putting, but still sort of searching with the full swing.

I played yesterday. I've been taking alot of the advice in here to heart. I don't over do it on my range time and it kinda helped. My score didnt portray how I played yesterday (+21 hahaha). Duffed 1 iron shot, 1 driver and all my 3w's (4 of them). Chipped well, only 1 3 putt and once I got the speed of the greens was going to town with the Bettinardi.

Rather than revert to old habits I'm keeping with the changes I put into effect and just waiting for Saturday's lesson. My problem yesterday was distance control and it really hurt my scores. With just one change I think I've put on 1/2 to 1 club of distance with my irons. it's insane. I've never had a 155 yard 8i as my for sure range. I pushed it to 160 and my 9i to close to 150 at times. That sore 43* was about 135-140 which is a bit longer than I expected. Putting me off the green 2x and once way past the hole. But both right ona line with a baby draw.

Anyway, so excited with what's happening. My off the tee was horrid as far as control but only 2 hooks (out of 14) and 1 duff. Once I get my swing right with my instructor I have a feeling I might play better than my handicap shows. My short came is solid again with the only part left I have to fix is distance control and stopping that 1 or 2 lapse in setup I have per round.

That was long winded but Im so got dang excited right now.
WOW, buddy it sounds like you are putting a hurting on the golf ball right now but I know once you get those yardages down your GIR will go way up and your scores will come way down. I'm looking forward to how your lessons go and what they say about your awesome swing.

So my question to the MC:ers. Who is going to utilize a caddie instead of having a golf cart? :)

Taptaptap!

Back