Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I own one too and recognized the little bumps. I see now that there was a whole debate about this already. Sorry, I should know better than to venture over here to rant-land!

I love the Escape. Mine is an 05. Only downside of it is no Heated seats.

It's a control thing for him--definitely his mother's child. I figured I'd just put an 8 oz. water bottle in his pocket today. And it's amazing how kids may have no appetite for dinner but can always manage ice cream.

It's a control thing for him--defintely his mother's child. I figured I'd just put an 8 oz. water bottle in his pocket tomorrow. It's amazing how kids can have no appetite for dinner but still manage ice cream.

Back to my rant: half the time when I hit the "submit reply" button, I get some nasty message about the page being lost. So is my reply, and I have to retype it. I've tried copying my replies before I submit them, but I seem to lose those as well. Maybe I should just shut up until we're home.

It's a control thing for him--defintely his mother's child. I figured I'd just put an 8 oz. water bottle in his pocket tomorrow. It's amazing how kids can have no appetite for dinner but still manage ice cream.

Back to my rant: half the time when I hit the "submit reply" button, I get some nasty message about the page being lost. So is my reply, and I have to retype it. I've tried copying my replies before I submit them, but I seem to lose those as well. Maybe I should just shut up until we're home.

whistle.gif

Are You Kidding Me?!?!

Are You Kidding Me?!?!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/16/buffalo.beheading/index.html

Founder of Islamic TV station accused of beheading wife

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The founder of an Islamic television station in upstate New York aimed at countering Muslim stereotypes has confessed to beheading his wife, authorities said.

Muzzammil Hassan was charged with second-degree murder after police found the decapitated body of his wife, Aasiya Hassan, at the Bridges TV station in the Buffalo suburb of Orchard Park, said Andrew Benz, Orchard Park's police chief.

Hassan was arrested Thursday.

His wife filed for divorce February 6, and police had responded to several domestic violence calls at the couple's home, Benz said.

Hassan went directly to the police station after his wife's death and confessed to killing her, Benz told CNN. Benz declined to give further details.

Attempts to reach an attorney for Hassan were unsuccessful, and his family didn't return calls from CNN.

He had two children, 4 and 6, with his wife. He had two other children, 17 and 18, from his previous marriage.

He launched Bridges TV, billed as the first English-language cable channel targeting Muslims inside the United States, in 2004. At the time, Hassan said he hoped the network would balance negative portrayals of Muslims following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

The station's staff is "deeply shocked and saddened by the murder of Aasiya Hassan and the subsequent arrest of Muzzammil Hassan," a statement from Bridges TV said.

"Our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the families of the victim," the statement said.

How on earth can that be second degree? It sounds darn premeditated to me. I mean, how do you behead someone in the heat of the moment?

How on earth can that be second degree? It sounds darn premeditated to me. I mean, how do you behead someone in the heat of the moment?

Fast reflexes, a steady hand, and a Hattori Hanzo sword?

Sorry shouldn't joke. That's gawd awful.

Fast reflexes, a steady hand, and a Hattori Hanzo sword?

Sorry shouldn't joke. That's gawd awful.

On a related topic for just a moment: Last night I watched a Nova episode called "Secrets of the Samurai Sword". Very cool and I had no idea so much work went into it.

As for Claire's inquiry, I think NY's laws are slightly different. I think Second Degree is premeditated and First Degree is premeditated with special circumstances (capital murder and the like.)

But that's just a vague recollection, probably from episodes of Law & Order. Could be unreliable.

Most likely with some sharp cutting implement:D

As for Claire's inquiry, I think NY's laws are slightly different. I think Second Degree is premeditated and First Degree is premeditated with special circumstances (capital murder and the like.)

But that's just a vague recollection, probably from episodes of Law & Order. Could be unreliable.

That sounds accurate. My recollection of criminal law is pretty much limited to cannibalism among the shipwrecked and the Rule in M'naughton's case.

That sounds accurate. My recollection of criminal law is pretty much limited to cannibalism among the shipwrecked and the Rule in M'naughton's case.

Probably more accurate than re-runs of Law & Order though.

Better than me. I had to look that one up. And I do this for a living.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/background/insane/insanity.html

The McNaughton rule -- not knowing right from wrong

The first famous legal test for insanity came in 1843, in the McNaughton case. Englishman Daniel McNaughton shot and killed the secretary of the British Prime Minister, believing that the Prime Minister was conspiring against him. The court acquitted McNaughton "by reason of insanity," and he was placed in a mental institution for the rest of his life. However, the case caused a public uproar, and Queen Victoria ordered the court to develop a stricter test for insanity.

The "McNaughton rule" was a standard to be applied by the jury, after hearing medical testimony from prosecution and defense experts. The rule created a presumption of sanity, unless the defense proved "at the time of committing the act, the accused was laboring under such a defect of reason, from disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing or, if he did know it, that he did not know what he was doing was wrong."

The McNaughton rule became the standard for insanity in the United States and the United Kingdom, and is still the standard for insanity in almost half of the states.

I just don't understand people.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18735324/detail.html#

Mom Charged With Stealing From Youth League

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- A hockey mom from Chelsea has been charged with embezzling over $800,000 from a youth hockey organization.

According to police, Kimberly Knight volunteered to balance the bank books for the Ann Arbor Amateur Hockey Association, then helped herself to close to $1 million dollars of the association's money.

18735200_240X135.jpg

"At first it was rather small amounts here or there," said Det. Jami Grigal of the Pittsfield Township Police Department. "Most likely there was an intention of paying (the money) back and then when the pay backs weren't coming more money was needed."

Grigal said Knight used the money to shower herself and family members with extravagant gifts that included vehicles, jewelry and vacations.

Knight remains free on personal bond and will appear for a preliminary hearing March 5.

Local 4 was unable to reach Knight or her attorney.

"As the investigation began I basically had to track that money and find out where it went," Grigal said. "We located a Cadillac Escalade that was purchased. There was a dump truck purchased, there were a couple family vacations."

Police said the 2005 Escalade was registered to Knight's husband, but that he is not suspected of any wrongdoing. The dump truck, Grigal said, was allegedly for Knight's struggling family business.

According to case documents obtained by Local 4 News, Knight wrote 50 personal checks to herself. Some of the spending reported by Local 4 included; $3,890 for diamond earrings, a $2,800 bracelet, a watch for $5,300 and another $5,300 for 33 Pandora beads. Police said the checks were cashed between February 2005 and May 2007 and were written in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $17,000.

Those funds, according to police, came from one of several personal accounts Knight set-up at local banks where the association also had accounts. Police said using the same bank made it easier for Knight to make transfers and purchases easier.

"The parents aren't seeing an interruption in their kid's hockey activities, and they're still going on as business as usual, but the money invested for capital projects or a 'rainy day' are gone," Grigal said, who added that some of the money is still unaccounted for.

"It's a sickening situation when money that is supposed to go to the kids is spent on personal needs. That's pretty low," said Matt Dejanovich, a team sponsor whose son plays in the organization. "We've got a great hockey program and it deserves a lot better."

That is unbelievable, did she really think she could get away with taking nearly a million dollars? I think they should charge the husband as well, for being an idiot. I mean if my wife showed up with a new Escalade for me, I'd sure as hell wonder where the money came from.

Just a ridiculous poll I saw on another forum:

Would you rather the winter stay for a bit more or for spring to come chragin in!!!

Poll Options
Spring or not
  • Have winter stay a bit longer
  • Ready for spring cant wait!!!

So far it's 41-2 for Spring! Amazing huh?

Here was my response:

Seriously? We could ask instead, do you want to play golf? Yes or No. At least have a sensible poll.

About 50 more people have viewed the thread in the 5+ hours since I posted but no more replies.

I am in a really terrible mood today. I was out of town and made a terrible mistake of pulling an all nighter with some buddies. Played poker till 5 in the morning, and realized the pool opened at 6 am, so we hit the waterpark at 6 am and from there I couldn't get back to sleep, didn't even sleep on the bus ride and now am just feeling really ill and really cranky.

Bad idea.

I am in a really terrible mood today. I was out of town and made a terrible mistake of pulling an all nighter with some buddies. Played poker till 5 in the morning, and realized the pool opened at 6 am, so we hit the waterpark at 6 am and from there I couldn't get back to sleep, didn't even sleep on the bus ride and now am just feeling really ill and really cranky.

Bad idea.

"terrrible mistake"???? That's what you are supposed to be doing!!!

True it was so worth it, but I paid for it in the long run. I am just so critical of everything right now and I can tell it's because of lack of sleep.

I am the only one who is sick to death of celebrities (actors, musicians, etc.) getting massive TV time to pat each other on the back?

It seems like there is an awards show on TV every week these days. Do they really get enough ratings to justify them all? Or any of them?

Been there & done that, although for me it was up all night drinking & then had to be at work at the crack of dawn. Holy moly what a long day that becomes:beat-up:

I am the only one who is sick to death of celebrities (actors, musicians, etc.) getting massive TV time to pat each other on the back?

It seems like there is an awards show on TV every week these days. Do they really get enough ratings to justify them all? Or any of them?

I think the Oscars need to change... there is no need for awards to be given every year

and the best movie of the year is... "well, they all kind of sucked but I guess we'll just give it to _____"

Do what I do, refuse to watch them.
I absolutely detest award shows of any type. Why should I care what pic or actor wins an award? 3/4 of the time I think the pic that wins "Best picture" is horrible.

oh I remember the days of staying up all night and then having to go to work or school the next day....what a bad idea that was, yet I seemed to do it all the time when I was younger. I wish I could tell you that this will be the first and last time you do this Dent and that you have learned your lesson but this will more than likely not be the last time.....I am sure most would agree they made that same mistake over and over again.

Yep, Last time I did it before I said I would never do it. It was weird I would have like 45 sec Doze off's and have a quick dream about something quick, but still hear the conversation around me. I must have had about 5 or 10 dreams.

wait until you go to college....it only gest worse. Well I guess it might be different where you live but I did go to the number 2 party school in the US...so needless to say there were many late nights for me. It's funny to think back to that time because now a late night for me is staying up past midnight and the latest I can sleep in is 8am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back