The "On Screen Guide" Thread

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Okay, this thread is probably only of interest to me . . . but whenever I check the on screen TV guide, I tend to find the program descriptions funny.

For example, scrolling through today, I saw this:

Fool's Gold

Movie, Action/Adventure, Romance. (2008) Matthew McConnaughey, Kate Hudson, Donald Sutherland. A treasure hunting pair embarks on a last quest for booty.
I bet they do!

Spoiler
HowYouDoin1.jpg

Man I laugh at these all of the time.

Maximum Force-Frenchman kicks Russian mafia in New York.

Just the description alone sounds like a Academy award winner.

Today's submission:

The Big Sombrero

Movie, Western. (1949) Gene Autry, Elena Verdugo, Stephen Dunne. A singing cowboy saves a senorita from a former rodeo star who likes her big ranch.

Oh come on!!! You can't tell me they didn't do that on purpose!!!

Haha, that one is awesome.

Okay, this thread is probably only of interest to me . . . but whenever I check the on screen TV guide, I tend to find the program descriptions funny.

For example, scrolling through today, I saw this:

I bet they do!

Spoiler
HowYouDoin1.jpg

I saw that as well... I had a small chuckle

Bad Girls

Movie, Western. (1994) Madeline Stowe, Mary Stuart Masterson. Gunslinging floozies flee town to avoid a hanging and meet an outlaw with a score to settle.

Was that the name of the movie, or the description?

Was that the name of the movie, or the description?

It's the name of a TV show. I'm assuming they play poker.

Every time I see it though, I can only think "But what if I am partial to "Poker in Morning" or "Poker During Lunch". Or what if I want a stiff drink, "Poker and Liquor"?

Maybe they play by candlelight? Or in darkness, with night vision goggles?

"Beavers All Access"

Spoiler
It's the Oregon State U. sports program on Fox Sports Northwest, along with "Mariners All Access." Strangely, I don't think I've ever seen a "Huskies All Access" or a "Ducks All Access", etc.

"Beavers All Access"

Spoiler
It's the Oregon State U. sports program on Fox Sports Northwest, along with "Mariners All Access." Strangely, I don't think I've ever seen a "Huskies All Access" or a "Ducks All Access", etc.

"Fighting Banana Slugs All Access"?

Spoiler
I just love the idea of a banana slug as a school mascot--its' even better than a geoduck.

"Fighting Banana Slugs All Access"?

Spoiler
I just love the idea of a banana slug as a school mascot--its' even better than a geoduck.

Nothing is better than a Geoduck mascot.

Spoiler
geoduck1.jpg

geoduck3.jpg
Geoduck06240520001.jpg
intro1.jpg

Spoiler
But I would never eat one.

Yeah, um, about that. I'd rather not think about it :sick:

It's a type of large saltwater clam. People in the Pacific Northwest eat them.

It's pronounced Gooey-Duck.

It's also the mascot of The Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA), whose motto is Omnia Extares ("let it all hang out")

geoduck-3.jpg

(And FYI, the Banana Slug Claire referred to is the mascot of U.C. Santa Cruz.)

ucsc_mascot.jpg
slug.jpg

(Also common in the PNW.)

Okay, you have to pretend you don't know anything about "Thunderbirds" when you read this.

Spoiler

"Thunderbirds Are Go"

Movie, Science Fiction. (1966) Sylvia Anderson, Ray Barrett. The space-rescue team foils sabotage on the first manned flight to Mars. Puppets.

Harry, I was going to say something along the lines of, "aren't you glad you aren't the fellow who has to dress up in the mascot suit?" but you beat me to it.

Outland

Movie, Science Fiction. (1981) Sean Connery, Peter Boyle, Francis Sternhagen. 21st-century lawman has showdown with Jupiter-moon goons.

It's a type of large saltwater clam. People in the Pacific Northwest eat them.

It's pronounced Gooey-Duck.

It's also the mascot of The Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA), whose motto is Omnia Extares ("let it all hang out")

geoduck-3.jpg

Ok I read this post but I am still not sure what the heck that thing with the green head is?

Back