Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Well biggsy, that sucks, but I reckon you'll get it figured out sooner than later. I played at a course that has that sand in the bunkers that have small pebbles and little rocks or something, and it wreaked havoc on the finish of my 56* wedge. It makes me sad.

Update...way overdue update in fact.

To be quite honest, I've struggled getting used to the 588 wedges. I don't think I can blame the wedge either, it's just a matter of timing. I just seem to have developed a really bad habit of getting too much lower body movement and lifting my head up with has caused me to cast the club and I've become quite proficient at hitting balls off the hosel.

The pro I've been working with has been helping me iron out my swing issues with the short game, so I know it come around. I practice too much for it not to.

On a positive note, I think Cleveland did some great things with the finish and the laser milling on these. I feel like the finish and the milling is holding up better with the wedges than my Black Pearls did. I don't know if they changed the process or not, but it seems noticeable to me.

On some of the really good shots I've hit with these and there have been a couple, I've noticed exceptional feel, even with the heavier shafts, and the spin is great. I'm back to shredding covers.

I'll show some pictures of the ware, but quite frankly, I'm embarrassed to show I've been wearing the heel and hosel of the face more than anything...maybe I'm just saving the center of the face for the MC2.0...hehe

good write up biggsy... i had a little trouble at first hitting closer to the hosel with these too after a range session got it worked out and havn't had any problems since then.

Well, I changed to the 588's due to the Morgan Cup. Previously I had the CG15's with DG Spinners. I also reviewed the CG16's over a year ago. I haven't golfed long enough to know anything about the 'old' 588's.

Here's my rundown of the three:

CG16 - larger head, small cavity for added forgiveness, felt the stock shaft hit the ball a little too high. Straight-ish leading edge. Very nice wedge that I should have probably kept in the bag longer than I did, but I was convinced I needed low bounce wedges at the time.

CG15 with DG Spinners - smaller head, a little more rounded than the other three, has a grind that is supposed to assist with opening the face, nice feel, liked the ball flight with the spinners, able to keep the ball low if needed. Spinners were installed aftermarket. The stock shaft is the same as the 16's.

588 - smaller head, straighter leading edge, no grind on the sole - hasn't caused me issues with opening so far, nice feel, ball flight is a little higher than the spinners, shaft feels a little lighter than the spinners maybe, I prefer them on full swings over the CG15's, Able to keep the ball low easily. Customization adds a pretty cool element to the whole deal.

If I had to choose between the 15's and the 588's in stock form, off the rack, assuming price wasn't a factor: I'd go 588's, if even for the shaft alone.

Hawk, I send you into a store and tell you to pick one, the CG16 or 588. What do you come out with?

You mentioned the 588 over the CG15 but what about the CG16?

Hawk, I send you into a store and tell you to pick one, the CG16 or 588. What do you come out with?

You mentioned the 588 over the CG15 but what about the CG16?

For me, the 588.

Well I ended up biting on a 54* and 58* today. Thanks to the weekend sale GS is having, I was able to save $50 on them. Too bad we're back to crappy weather here in Indiana, so it's going to be a few days before I get them out :(

Well I ended up biting on a 54* and 58* today. Thanks to the weekend sale GS is having, I was able to save $50 on them. Too bad we're back to crappy weather here in Indiana, so it's going to be a few days before I get them out :(

enjoy them.... they are some great wedges.

The boy and I went to the football field today and I took one club - the 49° 588. Just hit pitch shots and some knockdowns for the hell of it. It's so easy to keep these low if I want to, which should come in handy during the windy spring.

Hawk I swear I don't forum stalk you but it seems everytime I'm looking for a thread you bump it for me. I'm jealous of your football field practice spot. Saw a small stadium and a few acres for sale today somewhere in Georgia and I thought "that would make a great golf practice facility."

Played the old goat track with ole gray and dawgdaddy, the 588's got a work out from all sorts of lies, never let me down. I'm starting to relearn how to play these wedges again, still a long way to go but the 58* is almost there. Chipped in for eagle today from about 45 yards with it!

I am fighting keeping the 50* down though. Not sure what my issue is with that club at the moment either. No similar issues with the 54/58* so I'm a little confused on why I'm struggling.

--
tapatalk

Nice eagle, dude!

Nice eagle SW

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, it was a treat for sure.

--
tapatalk

Well biggsy, that sucks, but I reckon you'll get it figured out sooner than later. I played at a course that has that sand in the bunkers that have small pebbles and little rocks or something, and it wreaked havoc on the finish of my 56* wedge. It makes me sad.

Ouch.. bound to happen sooner or later but I'm sure it stings a little bit more after all the effort that went into designing the finish.

There is like two bunkers on the course I was practicing on today, so I camped out in one for awhile to work on sand shots with my 57°.

I will freely admit to being absolutely horrible out of bunkers last year. I had my moments, but for the most part I just sucked. I dropped a dozen balls in the bunker and got each of them out without blading any of them, which is pretty great for me. I've worked on the sand shot, so I won't act like it's all because of the wedges, but I do like that 57 from the sand. It opens real easy and I was able to get the ball up without much effort.

There is like two bunkers on the course I was practicing on today, so I camped out in one for awhile to work on sand shots with my 57°.

I will freely admit to being absolutely horrible out of bunkers last year. I had my moments, but for the most part I just sucked. I dropped a dozen balls in the bunker and got each of them out without blading any of them, which is pretty great for me. I've worked on the sand shot, so I won't act like it's all because of the wedges, but I do like that 57 from the sand. It opens real easy and I was able to get the ball up without much effort.
Thats good news Hawk, having confidence getting out of bunkers is half the battle.

That is awesome dude. I really like reading about your progress

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Dicks and Golf Galaxy will have these on sale starting tomorrow at 2 for $250

Dicks and Golf Galaxy will have these on sale starting tomorrow at 2 for $250

That's good to know, I'm picking up a 50*,54*, and 58*. Those wedges look awesome to me and I can't wait to play em. Nice eagle SW, hope your doing well buddy.

I have played a few rounds with these now and I don't know why but I am having a hard time getting use to them. I am hitting them thin, I know its my swing but its bugging me. I love using wedges so its a bummer to have less confidence in them right now.

Biggsy, how are those C-Tapers working for you in the new wedges?

Biggsy, how are those C-Tapers working for you in the new wedges?

I'm getting closer around the green with the chipping aspect. The extra weight or the shaft haven't had much effect on that. My issue was standing too close to the ball, swing path and ball placement on the face. I've tweaked it all and practiced it quite a bit. I should have that dialed in to a comfortable level in the next week.

My bunker play with them has been a lot better. I'm getting that aspect dialed in nicely.

Really love the spin I get off the wedges.

My mid-range shots are where I am still struggling with the getting the ball on the face. It's just going to take some more practice.

Full shots are where I am still baffled. The weight of the shaft seems fine, but my distances have come back significantly and honestly, I just thinks its a product of me and not the wedge. My distances are about a club down. so my 60 is below a 60, the 56 is at the 60 and the 50 is at the 56 and I'm hitting them higher. This nice knockdown I had turns into a nice little hozzler cut I call it followed by lots of apologies and a signed glove for the kid I just smacked upside the head.

I hit my old wedges and I was getting the same thing, so it's a product of this swing adjustment I did...why must we tinker!!! The pro says to get better...ugh!

I wish I could say they are 100% perfect, but I'm just not hitting them well enough to do them much justice beyond my greenside work. I'll keep reporting back with my progress.

I still think I am going to get the same shafts in my irons.

Thanks for asking, Hawk.

Tappin from my iPad

Stick with it and I have no doubt you'll be there soon buddy. I hit myself a few hozzler cuts at the range the other day haha.

So after a few weeks I have my yardage for the 58 and the 54. 58 is a 90-95yard full and the 54 is 105-110. I ordered a 50 and hope that will get me 115-120 yards. The PW in my new irons is 46 and my previous PW I can get 135 out of it, 46 as well. I do not want a 15 yard gap, any suggestions? I have a hard time hitting 3/4 shots but I guess that is my only option.

So after a few weeks I have my yardage for the 58 and the 54. 58 is a 90-95yard full and the 54 is 105-110. I ordered a 50 and hope that will get me 115-120 yards. The PW in my new irons is 46 and my previous PW I can get 135 out of it, 46 as well. I do not want a 15 yard gap, any suggestions? I have a hard time hitting 3/4 shots but I guess that is my only option.

I'd say get the 50 degree wedge and test out the distance, you could always get it bent 1 degree strong to make the gaps more manageable if you have too big of a gap between the PW and the 50. It seems like your gap between the 54 and 58 is 10-15 yards, I would expect the same from the 50 for you.

In my limited time with these wedges, I've noticed that the 50 degree 588 wedge is about 5-10 yards shorter than the R11 A-wedge that I used to play in that slot. My gap between the 50 and 54 degrees is probably closer to 10 yards than 15 yards. It's not a big deal right now, but I'm like you, I'm not a fan of 3/4 shots so I'm going to have to see what happens. I'm going to try to get more time on the course with these wedges before I do anything to them, as most of my time has been on the range with these clubs.

Got a couple shots today to use my 588s and came away impressed again. Starting to get a better feel for chipping and feel shots with my 55* and had 2 great sand shots and a fully open full swing flop shot with my 60* club head was pancaked and was perfect distance just missed 5-10 feet right cause I didn't aim more left like I should have. Off on vacation for a few weeks with nothing but golf in store with lots of practice planned so hopefully I get the feel of my new 55* as I feel like I'm finally getting with my 60* down over the next week or so. Really some solid wedges.

I'd say get the 50 degree wedge and test out the distance, you could always get it bent 1 degree strong to make the gaps more manageable if you have too big of a gap between the PW and the 50. It seems like your gap between the 54 and 58 is 10-15 yards, I would expect the same from the 50 for you.

In my limited time with these wedges, I've noticed that the 50 degree 588 wedge is about 5-10 yards shorter than the R11 A-wedge that I used to play in that slot. My gap between the 50 and 54 degrees is probably closer to 10 yards than 15 yards. It's not a big deal right now, but I'm like you, I'm not a fan of 3/4 shots so I'm going to have to see what happens. I'm going to try to get more time on the course with these wedges before I do anything to them, as most of my time has been on the range with these clubs.

Thanks ary, hopefully everything works out but I didn't even think about bending it. I should know after this weekends round.

Back