Wind Effect on Distance

Vabstheman

Reaction score
Handicap
SIAP -

How much distance do you gain or lose in the wind? lets say its a 15 MPH wind...and you have 180 yards. if thats normally a 6 iron, but youre hitting with the wind at your back, go to a 7 or 8? does anybody have any rule of thumb they go by for how many clubs you go up or down by for a certain amount of wind? 10 mph = 1 club?

thanks!

For some reason, I feel like I have it figured out into the wind, but not with the wind. I go a club up for every 10mph into the wind. I went to a practice area one windy day, hit a bunch of balls and that's what I came up with. Whether that's accurate is another story, but that's what I stick with right now.

To be honest, I go totally off feel. I don't know how much the wind is blowing, especially here where the trees are big I have no idea what the wind is doing above the trees compared to what I'm feeling. I play the wind off feel and then I like to hit knockdown shots both into the wind and with the wind so that I can have a little more control.

I don't have high club head speed and don't produce a lot of spin so my results may be different.

Into the wind I club up for every ten MPH (estimated) Down wind I get some extra on tee shots and long approaches due to additional roll but with 8, 9, or wedge I sometimes LOSE a little because my spin won't lift the ball; they sometimes get knocked down by a following wind.

To be honest, I go totally off feel. I don't know how much the wind is blowing, especially here where the trees are big I have no idea what the wind is doing above the trees compared to what I'm feeling. I play the wind off feel and then I like to hit knockdown shots both into the wind and with the wind so that I can have a little more control.

^^This^^

totally based on feel for me as well...we had 30 mph winds on saturday and i hit a punch 6 iron into the wind on a 159 yard par and just made the green. with the wind...totally different, usually on anything less than a 9 i'm assuming it will play about the yardage maybe minimally more due to the wind knocking it down and killin the spin.

I'm a feel player as well, but as a rule of thumb, I go up or down a club for every 10/15 mph of wind, but I never know mph for sure, so it comes down to a feel thing in each scenario.

I'm a feel player as well, but as a rule of thumb, I go up or down a club for every 10/15 mph of wind, but I never know mph for sure, so it comes down to a feel thing in each scenario.

This. Plus I look to see if there is an open spot in the woods or whatever to see if the wind is actually stronger. Typically around here with the winds it's a 2 club wind and that just comes from experience as well.

I have always heard its one club per 10mph, now on Sunday I had a 2 club wind in my face and flew the green. So now I will always play a club that gives me the best/safest chance to get on or close to the green.

Choose the club off of feel. I guess for me wind is something I feel that is unusual from a calm enviroment, maybe 10 to 12 mph. In something like a mild to moderate wind always a club up if it's against you, maybe 2 clubs up against you and slightly uphill. It's got to be feel from what is normal for me.

Yesterday on 2 or 3 occasions I was left very short of the green for example, 105 yard par 3 into a wind which i couldn't feel on the tee I hit my pw< it was a clean strike and perfect line only to finish 15 yards short. Now the flight of the ball was strange it seemed to climb in stages and drop like stone, is this down to the wind and the cold or just a freak??? Earlier in the round I hit my 50* from 99 yards and went 3 yards past the pin so I had clubbed up.

Hard to say what caused it boss. I know that my ball flight tends to look kind of like a banana when it's getting hurt really bad by the wind. Starts off normal and then just climbs fast and drops.

banana.png

Hard to say what caused it boss. I know that my ball flight tends to look kind of like a banana when it's getting hurt really bad by the wind. Starts off normal and then just climbs fast and drops.

banana.png

That sounds about right, I was gutted because the line was perfect I hit it clean and then it was just short. It happened a few times but that one was the worst effect, strange.

I now have a new shot in my arsenal, todays lesson was playing into wind. Move the ball back 2 inches and club up, dont swing hard as it creates more spin and therefore increased height, it was working a treat.

I go with the 10 mph rule to club up or down myself.
Not good enough for the "feel" shot.
I do good with the "luck" shot though lol
Good luck.

Back