Range balls at courses

Thats a good deal on range balls for sure, especially for a grass range.

I have a question. Would you guys pay extra to hit off of a real grass range than a range with mats?

I have a question. Would you guys pay extra to hit off of a real grass range than a range with mats?

I have no problems with mats to be honest(besides the stuff that's left on my clubs afterwards) I at times find them beneficial because that don't allow you to hit it fat and such. I've never had a problem with them but I do prefer grass simply because it's what we play on.

I dont hit off mats, so yes I would pay extra for grass. If the course said range balls were free off the mats, but $4 for the grass I would pay the $4.

I dont hit off mats, so yes I would pay extra for grass. If the course said range balls were free off the mats, but $4 for the grass I would pay the $4.

There isnt a place around here with grass range but I would most definitely pay extra. Whats the point of mats not letting you hit it fat? It's going to happen on the course so I would rather work it out at the range.

I wish my course had a range. I'd love to see them put in an area like the course we played in Nebraska a couple years ago at the Midwest outing. No room for a range where I play.

I think that net system was at Iron Horse, (tried to send you a pm)

I don't care for matts at all. We have all grass luckily and it's a large enough area to move back and forth always having a good grass line.

There isnt a place around here with grass range but I would most definitely pay extra. Whats the point of mats not letting you hit it fat? It's going to happen on the course so I would rather work it out at the range.
Wow really? I wonder why? I would say its 50/50 here as to whether a course here has a grass range or mats but to have none is crazy. You should open a grass range, you would kill it.

Wow really? I wonder why? I would say its 50/50 here as to whether a course here has a grass range or mats but to have none is crazy. You should open a grass range, you would kill it.

Kinda why I am asking the question. Seeing if people would pay extra. Was thinking about a range with mats and grass. Mats for the people there just to fool around and grass for people actually looking to practice.

I think that net system was at Iron Horse, (tried to send you a pm)

I don't care for matts at all. We have all grass luckily and it's a large enough area to move back and forth always having a good grass line.
Thanks, duey. Mailbox was full. Forgot to delete.

Kinda why I am asking the question. Seeing if people would pay extra. Was thinking about a range with mats and grass. Mats for the people there just to fool around and grass for people actually looking to practice.
We have a range here exactly like that. It is just a range not a course, and its $5 there for a small bucket off the mats, and $8 for a small bucket off the grass. Its funny cause if you look at the skill level at the mats compared to the grass its probably 10 HC points better on the grass.

We have a range here exactly like that. It is just a range not a course, and its $5 there for a small bucket off the mats, and $8 for a small bucket off the grass. Its funny cause if you look at the skill level at the mats compared to the grass its probably 10 HC points better on the grass.

Yeah. It makes no sense that we have 2 ranges within like a 100 mile radius and they are both dumps. A nice range would make a killing.

id like to see it, even if they build it into the price for a round

It's kinda weird around here regarding free range balls with a round. Usually the higher end/more expensive courses do have a free range area but some do not. And a few of the mid-priced places do too but not many.
None of the municipal courses do and most do not even have a range at all.

It would be nice if there was a small bucket included with the price of a round, just to warm up like others said... and if it was actually included, not a price tacked on it would be nice.

It would be very nice if courses did this. But the reality is that when we show up we're a captive audience and they've got us on the hook. The bucket of balls = pure revenue and especially in this economy most business aren't going to look turn that down. I fully realize a pricing structure could effectively incorporate the cost of balls into the whole experience but I suspect most golf courses think people are choosing to play (or not) their course for reasons completely unrelated to the warm up ball experience so they don't have much incentive to modify this revenue stream.

It would be nice if there was a small bucket included with the price of a round, just to warm up like others said... and if it was actually included, not a price tacked on it would be nice.

There lies the problem. I know when we talked about adding "free" range for all rounds, it would result in a price increase for the round, and we just felt like not everyone goes to the range first, so why jack up the round price to cover the range use. We would rather keep cost per round down. Also are range prices are pretty cheap, $2 for a small bucket (20/30 balls) and $4 for a large bucket (75/80 balls). Cost of maintaining the range is more than many would think.

Just assumed range balls with a round were always free lol. Don't know if I have ever played a course that charged for them yet.

Nothing is free. Just a hidden cost.

With everyone saying nothing is free and it's just hidden fees, wouldn't you rather they be hidden than pay in upwards of $70 just to have to tack on an extra $5 just to warm up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My course has a limited-membership card which gives unlimited balls at the range - just walk in, wave the card and ask for tokens. They definitely lost money on me last year. :)

Ken

With everyone saying nothing is free and it's just hidden fees, wouldn't you rather they be hidden than pay in upwards of $70 just to have to tack on an extra $5 just to warm up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The courses here that make you buy tokens or balls seperately are more in the $30-40 range/w cart. The expensive courses off them as part of the greens fee or they are a private club and balls are part of the deal.

The club I'm looking at joining charges $110 range fee and I'll be getting every penny worth of it.

Depends on the course fee IMHO....

If it's a nice course then "Yes"

If it's a hacked up course for cheap rounds then "No"

Depends on the course fee IMHO....

If it's a nice course then "Yes"

If it's a hacked up course for cheap rounds then "No"

I agree with this.

The last course I played on in TX, they didn't have a range and I would have played there more if they did.

The course I play at now in TN they do have a range and I always buy a small $2 bucket to warm up before playing.

Unless it says otherwise, taking the range balls for use on the course is nothing more than stealing.

Unless it says otherwise, taking the range balls for use on the course is nothing more than stealing.
Sure it is, but thats not what we are talking about.

I despise paying for range balls, matter of fact I typically avoid courses that do not include them in the greens fee. I can play multiple course that include unlimited range balls for the same price that I would pay at a course that charges for a bucket of balls, it's an easy choice.

Went to the range for the first time all year today. Last fall, a bunch of us asked if they could totally close off half of it for the year to let the ground recharge then do the same with the other half next year. They said it was a great idea and would talk it over with the ownership. It didn't end up happening. The grass is in such bad shape I'd almost rather a) hit off a mat or b) go to the range at my course that is only ~220 yards.

Back