TaylorMade Burner 09 Unboxing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Taylormade sent these over for us to review as well as put them in some of the driver shootouts. Here are a few early pictures.

481318187_gipqu-L.jpg

481318275_tManr-L.jpg

481318401_oNfVL-L.jpg

When I first saw pictures of these I thought the looked terrible, but after seeing it as address and such in person I like the looks, I'm excited to try the TP version when it comes out.

• Admin
Out of curiousity, why would you prefer the TP over this one? We are going to be reviewing both, but I would say for us the consumer model of the R9 fit most better than the TP, so we are curious if the same will be true of the Burner.

Out of curiousity, why would you prefer the TP over this one? We are going to be reviewing both, but I would say for us the consumer model of the R9 fit most better than the TP, so we are curious if the same will be true of the Burner.

A few reasons.

• I fight a hook, so a shut face kills me.
  • I like to work the ball, and with the TP that's a bit easier
  • Also with the '07 Burner, the non-TP head spun the ball way to much for me, and if this one is the same as the '07 then the non-TP head will spin like crazy for me. Even with my D2 I have too much spin, and I put a low-launch/spin Speeder in it.

• Admin
Both amollerud and myself really liked these today. Nothing like the last few models that have come out.

• Admin
Played again with this one today and like it so much it might end up in my bag since they are already available. Extremely hot face.

Played again with this one today and like it so much it might end up in my bag since they are already available. Extremely hot face.

How would you compare it to the TM Tour Burner? Preferably the 08 model.

JB is back at the course but I think I remember him saying that he likes this one A LOT better. IIRC he did not care for the 08 Burner at all, but this one (as he has mentioned) has impressed him quite a bit.

• Admin
GG was right. I liked it A LOT more than their 08 stuff.

GG was right. I liked it A LOT more than their 08 stuff.

I personally like the '08 Tour Burner, especially the TP.

What did you feel the difference was?

Not speaking for JB Dent but for me the face was a lot hotter and more responsive.

I still don't like the stock TM shafts however. To long, and to light.

AJ,
We actually really liked the stock shafts this year. But the face was hotter and the club was straighter.

JB, Don't this driver come with a 49 gram shaft?

I'm still liking the looks of this, but like I said earlier, I'm waiting for the TP. JB do you know when that's coming out? And are you going to get to review it?

JB, Don't this driver come with a 49 gram shaft?

Yes it does along with a 46 1/4" shaft...I just don't get it. The gram weight for slower swing speeds/seniors...okay maybe. The legnth on the shaft however is utterly rediculous.

Yes it does along with a 46 1/4" shaft...I just don't get it. The gram weight for slower swing speeds/seniors...okay maybe. The legnth on the shaft however is utterly rediculous.

I agree AJ. They should keep the shaft light, but keep it at 45". Mines at 44 1/2" right now, still too long.

I agree. TM seems to be getting longer and longer with their driver shafts.

I'm still liking the looks of this, but like I said earlier, I'm waiting for the TP. JB do you know when that's coming out? And are you going to get to review it?

Alex my buddy who is a taylormade rep told me they should be in stores within the next week or so, a lot of them are being shipped to stores with the R9's. They are available for immediate shipping at some etailers already. Stock shaft on this one 65 grams, that's more respectable for sure.

Alex my buddy who is a taylormade rep told me they should be in stores within the next week or so, a lot of them are being shipped to stores with the R9's. They are available for immediate shipping at some etailers already. Stock shaft on this one 65 grams, that's more respectable for sure.

What's the length on the shaft, do you know? I can't wait to hit it, I leave on Thursday for some golfing weather. :banana:

What's the length on the shaft, do you know? I can't wait to hit it, I leave on Thursday for some golfing weather. :banana:

Same 46 1/4" :/

Ugh. That means I'm cutting like 2 1/4" off it, if I get it.

Yeah my redboard is 45". If I keep it I'm cutting off another inch or a 1/2".

Back