Military Golf Courses

I was fortunate enough to play Klipper on Oahu as the guest of THPer coltharris on October 1st, it is a beautiful course with some awesome views.

The best one I played was at Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville, Fl. It was the beginning of the season and the course was just in great shape.

I'm not military, but I have friends who are, and I've played Mayport - Windy Harbor. Aptly named as it is quite windy most of the time. Tough course when it is blowing.

I'm not military, but I have friends who are, and I've played Mayport - Windy Harbor. Aptly named as it is quite windy most of the time. Tough course when it is blowing.

Yeah when it was windy, it was a bear to play. The par 5, #12 I think, was always tough if the wind was up and the par 3, 14th was too, over the water at 170 yards never could get it right.

That was probably a great move there. Its funny how they keep places like Cannon AFB open and close Myrtle Beach AFB. Huh???

True - I was at Holloman AFB from 1986 - 1987. I was at Myrtle Beach until a few months before it closed in March 1993.

I was fortunate enough to play Klipper on Oahu as the guest of THPer coltharris on October 1st, it is a beautiful course with some awesome views.

Soon after that I was able to play Gordon Lakes @ Ft. Gordon, GA with Slammin' Sam and Omikey, I envy SS being a member and being able to play the majority of his golf there for the price he pays. It too is a great layout.

I've played the courses at both Fort Benning and Fort Stewart. Probably will play the one at Moody Airbase in the near future.

I have only played a few military courses. Back in '99-'00 I use to play at Heidelberg Golf Course in Germany about every weekend and would play 36 holes, it was always in pretty good shape! I also played Rheinblick in Wiesbaden, Germany also but it wasn't as nice as the Heidelberg course. Since being stationed at Fort Bragg several times over the years I have played at Stryker, Ryder and Willow Lakes. I have always liked Ryder since it is at the Officer's Club and usually kept in decent shape. Now Stryker is where all the "hackers" go and even though they built a new clubhouse it is not kept in good shape at all and is like playing in a pasture, I have played is several times over the last 10-15 years and every time it disappoints me with the condition of it and it is pretty flat without much elevation changes. Willow Lakes use to be a decent course on Pope AFB but after they announced that Bragg would take over control of the AFB they closed it down and now it is all overgrown. For what they charge on base for golf it is almost cheaper and a better deal to go out to Southern Pines and play out there without have to go to a packed course every weekend!!! They have cut back on the upkeep on Ryder also since all the budget cuts!!

I'm not in the military but we have course nearby that is a plenty of fun. Vandenberg AFB is about 45 miles south of me and they have a great course called Marshallia Ranch. Most holes are surrounded by huge eucalyptus trees and you feel like you're in an amphitheater.

Back